Help: Under $200 1/10th Nitro off-road Challenge.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonoPorter

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi Everyone I need help, I’ve been challenged to participate in a race with a 1/10th scale Nitro RC on an off-road track. I am completely new to this and I am starting from scratch. My Budget is a maximum of $200 set by the race organizer. The race is several months out so I’ve got time to learn what I need to learn. I’ve already been reading through all the noob guides on this site. What I need is recommendations on what I should buy. I like the Idea of buying a RTR though I’ve seen nothing but bad things said about those. But I’m not afraid of assembling one, just need clear instructions. What I’m looking for most is a durable vehicle that will survive almost anything I can throw at it. If they made a 1/10th RC nitro tank made by Toyota I would get that. Preferably I would like to spend less than the max but not at the expense of getting something that will break easily. So guys any advice? What brand, models, parts, and stores do you recommend? What would you build with this budget for this?

Does it have to be nitro powered? Going to be hard to hit your $200 mark and stay quality unless you go used.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

$200 isn't gonna cut it buying new and quality. Stay away from the off brand rc's. They'll only cost you grey hairs and a bad experience. Talk everybody into going electric and pick up some short coarse trucks to race.

i used to do a LOT of 1:1 car racing. only one thing is sure, there is ALLWAYS someone faster. and dont even think about it if you are not in you element.

I dont see a quality nitro or electric for $200. Buying use you could find something but you may be taking over someone elses headaches for that price too. Good luck with the search. Your gonna need it!!!

Traxxas, Hpi, Losi, Associated. Helion's lineup looks to be badass for the price but I haven't heard any reviews on em yet. They have a 4x4 sct that's water proof for $200. Gil Losi Jr. runs the company. If his name's on it, it probably rocks. Basically, stick to brands that this site has forums for.

HPI, Traxxas, Associated and Losi are some of the better brands. The "off" brands are the brands that have little or no aftermarket and/or have a problem with finding replacement parts. The off brands also tend to have parts that are also easily broken.

That's the junk we're referring to. Tempting, huh?:) don't do it. You'll regret it. Exceed vehicles are cheaply made from brittle parts.

To me buying a cheap rc is like buying a cheap lets say full suspension bike from walmart vs. a bike shop , sure they both have the same features. But one is going to fall apart half way down hill if it makes it that far. And it won't be the one from a bike shop. They have to sacrifice quality to get the price down. Also if this is your first rc I'd recommend going electric, they are mostly plug and play, a Traxxas Slash would be a good starter vehicle. Add a lipo battery and charger and your good to go. JMO.

http://www.nwtrainsntreasure.com/servlet/the-2376/Traxxas-5803-Slash-1-fdsh-10/Detail

Last edited:
Exactly. And the slash platform is killer to learn on. I wish we knew more about Helion. I'd love to hookup new comers with something four wheel drive. Just don't know about their part support. Or even if the company will be around long enough to spread out.

if this is just a one time deal, i would look for a used tmaxx 1.5 or 2.5. you can find them on ebay for under $200. they take a good beating, if the motor is decent you could hold your own. i am assuming that each participate in this challenge is doing the same thing $200 limit), find the best used t maxx you can find and go for it !

Thanks guys ebay looks like the most likely route. What's odd is when I search Traxxas on ebay I'm seeing a lot of cars from RedCat like their Volcano are they affiliated with Traxxas in any way? Are those any good?

What they are probably doing is putting a number of different words that when search is done it will bring up there add, ads for Red Cat it is another cheaply made product with little aftermarket support. Stick to the major brands suggested earlier.

Does it have to be 1/10 scale? And can you spend a little more than 200$

Last edited:
Buying cheap and buying used are both generally bad ideas, You'll most likely regret either one. especially on a 200 dollar budget. Anything you get used for 200 bucks is gonna have issues and anything cheap is, well, just simply a waste of money.