HELP!! the police

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil110191

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
yesterday i was in mcdonalds car park with my rex x buggy just driftin rownd mindin me own business but when i looked over my shoulder a police car pulls up and the officer steps out and asks me to cut the car i do and he starts to speak "well sir are you aware that you are breakin the law??" I'm not i replied,then rather firmly he says "yes you are this is a public area and if you so much as start that thing again i will confiscate it as you hav no insurance"
i almost laughed until i realised he was bein serious i said wel ok but why ?? he then says "because you could injure a member of the public " i said well its 7 o'clock in the evening and theres no1 around an I'm a responsible driver (ahem) "i dont care " he says "if you start it again i WILL take it"the he walks off with a smug look on his face!!!
i was just wanderin was i breakin the law and culd he hav taken my car off me thanx ppl :depress: :eek:pps:

they shouldnt be able to do that unless its a private lot and the owner says they dont want you there.. i mean hell you can run it at the park no probs.. if someone is dumb enough to get in the way they need to be hit.

Well in the US, if it's a public park, and your not putting people at any risk, they will let you be.
Mc Donalds is privately owned so you are tresspassing if your not shopping. So by law, I would say yes, they can take your car.
Just my opinion.

well i think they will hav to forcibly get my car off me lol I've just discovered that the police stations car park looks rather nice 4 sum drifts....................

i need a lawyer .......lol

i dont think i would be pressing my luck ,i am sure you can find a better suited placed to run your rc's
not being a ass but i am sure you wouldnt want to loose your ride nor pay a fine ,

Get permission to run one at a private lot. Sounds like the cop was being an ass, but I wouldn't press my luck either. The AMA has insurance on rc aircraft, maybe have something for cars there? Where I live the cops won't go on a private lot unless the owner makes a complaint. Check the laws.

I would find another place to run, if it was me. Piss em off and they are going to be looking at you everytime ya go somewhere. Just my 2 cents. Good luck. :cheers:

digger said:
Get permission to run one at a private lot. Sounds like the cop was being an ass, but I wouldn't press my luck either. The AMA has insurance on rc aircraft, maybe have something for cars there? Where I live the cops won't go on a private lot unless the owner makes a complaint. Check the laws.

I would find another place to run, if it was me. Piss em off and they are going to be looking at you everytime ya go somewhere. Just my 2 cents. Good luck. :cheers:

When you get ama insurance they cover planes, cars,and boats. Right on the back of my Ama card it states 2.5 million in liability insurance. I hit my buddy in the shoulder with my buggy this weekend and had a laugh about the insurance,like
thank god your ok but we do have insurance!
I think everyone in rc should pick up AMA membership not only for insurance but to protect our "privlege" to use the freuqeuncys we do. We do take a lot for granted, the big gov. could decide to take those frequencys away for rc to use for somthing else. Thats were the power of the AMA will come in. Join the AMA today, only 58$ a year. I know there is a simalar program in the UK but cannot remeber the name of it nor do I know if they cover cars too.

Bill

If you or your parents / guardian have home owners insurance, your covered. I'm not sure about renters insurance.

There's always ROAR/NORRCA, but they only insure you if you are running on an approved track.

The cop may have had a point; The manager could have called the cops, due to that being private property and all.

I'd say you handled the incident perfect, altho, I would have asked the cop if he knew of an area that you _could_ take it and not get yelled at for it. Oft-times, they know of a dirt lot that no one gives a rats rear about.

Best thing I can tell ya is, call your city hall (parks and recreation department), and ask about a park or recreation area that you can run it at. If you talk to the right person, they'll bend over backwards to help.

Outside of that, Roscoe P. Coltrains really irritate the daylights out of me. I had the same incident happen to me, only in my own freakin driveway!

Me and friends are always bashing around late at night in public car parks (like 12am) if we haven't really got anything todo on a Friday night...I've had so many police and security guards come up and have a talk to us about the Rc's, they normally hang around for about 20mins and check them out (out of interest) and then move on...Always been positive responses from them aye.

well i found out the hard way it is not ok to run them on our streets or parks i got a ticket cuz of disturbing the peace and lost my maxx for about a week for running on the streets and i called my lawyer and he contacted the police and found out that it isnt safe to drive them no ware unless it a track not even in my own yard if someone calls then i get a new ticket gees whats this world coming to these days can't even have fun no more

honestly i am lucky
i live in a small rural town of about 1500 ppl ,but we have a huge public fair ground area with a 1/2 mile dirt oval for the saturday night races,sprinters,street stocks,outlaws sprinters that kinda thing ,so i have plenty of places to run
there even a old horse training track for quarter horses (i think thats what there called) but it would make a helluva place to hold sanctioned races there is even a drivers stand thats about 6ft off the ground and enough room for about 12 drivers
the only thing i need ot worry about are the younger kids gathering around watching us run the rc's
its kinda cool some even bring out there little trucks and stuff and try the ramps we have lol
pretty neat .
the only ordinence around here is for the skate boarders ,with sux cause they have nowhere to have there fun

well I'm not sure about on public areas but i know for a fact that I'm covered on the race track by the BRCA I'm jst not sure wether thats the case on public pathway I'm quite lucky though because i live in a pub we hav a carpark out bak the thing is though its quite small.i live bout 20mins walk from a buggy race track but the seasons finished and the club packs evryfink and in the winter the track floods anyway so I'm stuck i cnt run it at a race track or anywere public and i dnt reely want to pack the car away for winter!luks lik its gunna hav to happen den :(

Yes the BRCA 3rd party liability insurance covers you off the racetrack too. Carry your membership card with you and you're godo to go.

you live in a pub????
I guess you don't have to worry about DUI then huh???
Sounds like you could have shoveled that pigs nose it if you showed your insurance card to him......

yer thanx i will carry me card rownd from now on,i wuld race on da track but as a said earlier to cut the costs the club located on a flood ground lol it only floods in the winter but it reely pi**es me off lol all that track,all that open space under 2 foot of bleedin water !!!!:(

.... I wonder how much it would cost to insure my savage for street use.

i pay £ 10 a year for my BRCA insurance here in da UK and it gets me a free subscription with a rc mag

You live in a pub!
And you go out side why? :jk:

Back