help cleaning a nappy airbrush

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truthseeker

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i got an airbrush from somebody who left paint sitting in it for a couple of years. thinner doesn't seem to work and i want to use an ultrasonic cleaner, but i'm not sure what solvent to use. anybody do this before? i need something that won't blow my ass off the map, preferably.

Last edited:
Depends on what paint is in it. What did he use the airbrush for?

i believe models or r/c bodies. it should come out but the thinner just won't break it off the internal parts without some help. i'm just a little too chicken to put thinner in the ultrasonic cleaner 'cause i don't want thinner vapor floating around. i thought maybe simple green or something like that, but i don't want to experiment too much. i'd rather do it right the first time if possible. :D

Last edited:
put thinner in tupperware tub with lid? no fumes.. put whole tub in utrasonic cleaner, and let marinate..

You might be able to do a good job if you use a pipe cleaner.
Try to get it into the tight spots.

Are you sure the paint wasn't water based?

Try some greased lightning. That stuff will take anything off. Id probably try to avoid the seals though. What kind of airbrush is this?

RatzoRC said:
Are you sure the paint wasn't water based?
That's what I was getting at, too, Ratzo. Thinner won't do a thing if water based paint was used. I'd clean it up and then soak it in water overnight. Then us a pipecleaner to see if it has loosened any up. That may be the ticket.

ok, this crap seems to be a mix of the regular stuff as well as water based. dude never cleaned the thing i guess. between the thinner and some hot water, it seems to be coming off. i'll try the tupperware thinner trick next. this is a paasche millenium brush, double action type. don't have to worry about the seals as they aren't on the parts i'm cleaning. when i get done with this one, I have a single action to clean too. its been a lot of work but the price was right (freebie). thanks for the tips, guys.

Back