Heating up my engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selnekav

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I have few questions about heating up my engine.

1) Which tool i should use ? hairdryer, heat gun, propane gun ? is there any portable solution which can be connected to the car 12v inlet ?
2) How long i should heat my engine before starting ?

Thanks

Heatgun or an actual engine warmer are gonna be your best bets. I dont run when its cold out but I believe most of the guys that do heat the enggine up to around 180F before starting.

Thanks. is that necessary every time i start the engine ?

Wow. i never ran the car when the outside temperature is below 15 degrees ( 59F ) . i am leaving in a warm country and most of the time when i ran the car the temperature outside is around 70F-80F
is that mean that i don't need to preheat the engine it at all ?

A lot of the nitro guys I watch use engine warmers every time they start their engine, to prevent wear. Even in warm weather, it makes sense, because aluminum changes size a LOT when it is warm/cold.

I personally dont pre-heat my engine when its warm outside. Its probably a good idea but I'm too lazy to do that :)

I have found my vehicle starts a lot easier when I warm it to at least 110F or higher, even when it is warm out. I lot of guys on here recommend 180+F but my engine warmer won't get it that hot and I don't have access to 110V AC when I am out bashing so my heat gun is out of the question. I'd say the warmer the better up to that 180-200F range.

I been running nitro engines for years ,never have i preheated them in the past ,but it does help with
starting & prolong the life of the engines ,but also after the engine has been broke in an lost some
of the mechanical pinch ,it should be ok ,not everyone has access to heat source ,when they are 10 or
20 miles out in the middle of no where at a bash spot!
I use mostly low end budget engines for every day bashing ,racing is a different story with the higher
end engines at a track where there is access to electric or run a generator!..👍

I thinking to buy Engine Heater (Head Warmer) which powered by Lipo battery