Has anyone have problem with these shocks?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
On my slash 2wd I use these hobbypark aluminum shocks Hobbypark 4PCS Aluminum Front Rear Shock Absorber Assembled for 1/10 Traxxas Slash 4x4 4WD Slash 2WD Upgrade Parts The rears are fine but the front aren't. I have the RPM Front arms. The ball joint at the bottom won't go into the suspension arm. Also did this when I used the stock arms. So I just put the shock on the outside like the rears.
PXL_20210821_023535885.jpg

The ball joint at the bottom won't go into the suspension arm. Also did this when I used the stock arms. So I just put the shock on the outside like the rears.
Try what Grey said. That should work if the balls are the same size.

How old did you say you were David?

If the balls are different size, you could cut the flange down with a rotary tool. I have had to do this a few times. What I did was clamped the ball in a drill chuck and spun the drill while cutting off the flange with a cuttoff wheel in a rotary tool. You just have to be careful and not take any more off than the flange.

Or you could replace the shock's ball ends for ones without the flange. Search RC ball ends on Ebay. You just have to make sure to get the right size.

Last edited:
Try what Grey said. That should work if the balls are the same size.

How old did you say you were David?

If the balls are different size, you could cut the flange down with a rotary tool. I have had to do this a few times. What I did was clamped the ball in a drill chuck and spun the drill while cutting off the flange with a cuttoff wheel in a rotary tool. You just have to be careful and not take any more off than the flange.

Or you could replace the shock's ball ends for ones without the flange. Search RC ball ends on Ebay. You just have to make sure to get the right size.
I am 12.

One of the very reasons I have a dremel sitting on my bench. This happens often and as @WickedFog mentioned, sometimes they are just too wide.

You can buy other shock rod ends. you can also pull swivel ball and fine tune(grind sand) it down to fit.. without the swivel end will fail..

Well kiddo, you are kicking butt in this hobby for a 12 year old. My son is 9, and by the way, he wanted me to send you a message on one of your latest Roblox vids to add him on Roblox 😉 I used his channel to send you the message - Breydon's RC Channel. He is getting ready to do another unboxing of an SCX24 here in just a few minutes.

Before you get out the rotary tool, does your dad help ya with stuff like that? I assume he does. They can be a little dangerous, so keep your fingers out of the way of the cuttoff wheel 😉

Well kiddo, you are kicking butt in this hobby for a 12 year old. My son is 9, and by the way, he wanted me to send you a message on one of your latest Roblox vids to add him on Roblox 😉 I used his channel to send you the message - Breydon's RC Channel. He is getting ready to do another unboxing of an SCX24 here in just a few minutes.

Before you get out the rotary tool, does your dad help ya with stuff like that? I assume he does. They can be a little dangerous, so keep your fingers out of the way of the cuttoff wheel 😉
Thanks. Subscribed to his channel. My Roblox user is @trxrustler_2wdbach (my cousin put my display name as owen don't know why) My dad doesn't help me with that kind of stuff. My uncle probably has those tools. My uncle got me into the hobby when I got my slash in 2015.

You're off to a great start David, keep it up. You will learn little tricks and tweaks along the way.

Thanks. Subscribed to his channel. My Roblox user is @trxrustler_2wdbach (my cousin put my display name as owen don't know why) My dad doesn't help me with that kind of stuff. My uncle probably has those tools. My uncle got me into the hobby when I got my slash in 2015.
Ok, he added you. Thanks for the sub.

you being 12 some skills might need to be trained or developed..if you don't have skills to do something. in this case ask a parent (more than likely a lady) if they have a used emery board or even new.cardboard nail fil. use that sure it will take you some time but will work. test fit as you go

Hey bud how did you make out with the shock ends fitting those balls seem big... do you have your old stock shocks? You can try and out those ends on the hobbyparks. Which should allow you to mount the shock

I still have my old Big Bore shocks. Here is them fitting into the arm.
PXL_20210821_194101434.jpg
PXL_20210821_194025217.jpg
PXL_20210821_193819315.jpg

What I have now is the hobbyparks on the outside of the arm like the rears.
PXL_20210821_023535885.jpg

I also been running the hobby parks in the rear and my old bigbores in the front. I got the hobbyparks cause the one rear big bore snapped where where it goes into the arm.
PXL_20210821_202043684.jpg

Last edited:
I still have my old Big Bore shocks. Here is them fitting into the arm. View attachment 131432View attachment 131433View attachment 131434
Oh so you didn't get the hobbyparks to fit in..? Are those shock shafts the same size or the parks are a little bigger? Is it the balls in the end hitting and stopping the shock to go in correct?? Or is it the head of the shock end that won't let it go in?? If it's the ball you can try to switch them to the stock balls.. Or just take the balls out completely all together..

On the hobbyparks the the ball is hitting the arm so it won't go into the arm. I could try to take the balls out, if i can't I can run the Hobby parks in the rear and my old Big Bore shocks in the front. The Front big bore shocks are still working good. One of the rear big bore snapped where it went into the rear arm.
Or what I could do is modify the arm. Possibly shave some plastic away.

On the hobbyparks the the ball is hitting the arm so it won't go into the arm. I could try to take the balls out, if i can't I can run the Hobby parks in the rear and my old Big Bore shocks in the front. The Front big bore shocks are still working good. One of the rear big bore snapped where it went into the rear arm.
Or what I could do is modify the arm. Possibly shave some plastic away.
Don't shave the arm. See if you can get the ball out of that broken shock end. They are a bit tricky to get out, but a pair of pliers and a small wrench that spans the ball on one side usually works for me. Clamp the pliers on the ball on one side, and on the wrench on the other.

By the way, you can buy just that shock end that broke. They are pretty cheap.

Back