Grease?? What do you use in your RC tranns? Or with your plastic gears?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STONER RC

BUILD it, SEND it, BASH it, FIX it, REPEAT
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
  6. Boating
So back together the tranns. For the Duratrax max MT.. I have a couple of different greases that I can use. I'm probably going to use the Lucas red n tacky or the marine. Which the marine grease would be good for waterproofing..Buy the red n tacky seems to stay in place on the gears while in motion better. Just curious to know what your opinions are. With what greases you all use?
16320598949306464853130015795460.jpg

I know traxxas nitro plastic gears lubricate themselves according to traxxas. I'm not sure if duratrax is the same.

I use white lithium for my transmission, commercial viabrator grease for diffs, and for trannies if I have not lithium. For the old traxxas plastic electric, I used the dark grey grease traxxas has for the vxl. I'm assuming thats a dyed white lithium grease.

can't go wrong with one for the gears and marine for the case.

I know traxxas nitro plastic gears lubricate themselves according to traxxas. I'm not sure if duratrax is the same.

I use white lithium for my transmission, commercial viabrator grease for diffs, and for trannies if I have not lithium. For the old traxxas plastic electric, I used the dark grey grease traxxas has for the vxl. I'm assuming thats a dyed white lithium grease.

can't go wrong with one for the gears and marine for the case.
I never knew that about Traxxas plastic gears. That's interesting it it really happens. Good to know thanks bud👍👍👍
I use marine grease.
Yeah alot of guys use the marine grease how's it hold up.. does it break down at all. Or good with temps and high rpms?? I usually use synthetic grease. Been reading alot on the subject. And alot of different views on the subject. As is the whole hobby in general

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I don't run my bashers enough to warrant changing it out, so when I have opened them up, they were fine. I am more into crawlers and I haven't had any issues.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I don't run my bashers enough to warrant changing it out, so when I have opened them up, they were fine. I am more into crawlers and I haven't had any issues.
Yeah the only reason I'm doing this one is because you know I completely broke it all down. When I opened this tranns. It had nothing buy dried up clumps. And the one diff gear was lock on to the drive cup. 🤣🤣 so I got to replace it all. Or I wouldn't be doing it. I sometimes will add to the grease in my bashers once a yr or so. But I don't ever clean it all out. And change it completely...

Teflon and Nylon is a self lubricating plastic. It is basically the oils in the plastic. As the oils dissipate ftom regular plastics, I believe it is retained better in the higher grade plastics. That is why your RC plastics tend to start looking dried out, and why WD40 does such a wonderful job refreshing them, because it penetrates the plastic and softens it back up.

Probably sense you have it ,the marine grease because it is tacky ,the grease sticks to
the gear an is not slung on parts that can't have no grease on them or in them such
as thrust bearings or o-way bearings!
But I use Siliglyde grease that can handle 600 deg & with stand freezing temps!..:cool:

Probably sense you have it ,the marine grease because it is tacky ,the grease sticks to
the gear an is not slung on parts that can't have no grease on them or in them such
as thrust bearings or o-way bearings!
But I use Siliglyde grease that can handle 600 deg & with stand freezing temps!..:cool:

Thanks bud appreciate the info.👍👍
Teflon and Nylon is a self lubricating plastic. It is basically the oils in the plastic. As the oils dissipate ftom regular plastics, I believe it is retained better in the higher grade plastics. That is why your RC plastics tend to start looking dried out, and why WD40 does such a wonderful job refreshing them, because it penetrates the plastic and softens it back up.
Never thought about it that way. Good to know thanks man👍👍

Back