Got new parts in and question about drive shafts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
So today I got in and installed a lot of parts. I got the rpm caster and rear hubs for the slash. Rpm rear shock tower and bumper mount. Also I will order another set of the screw pins because they are the original pins in my slash and a couple of them are a little bent. Also going to order a 12mm aluminum hex hubs because I always have a problem with the stock ones. I will get the hobby park ones cause those ones they have a 1.5mm grub screw to screw in to lock the pin and hub in place. And my slash is 6 years old and most of the stuff on it is stock. Now driveshafts. Still have the stock plastic ones. They don't rotate as freely. I know that the Traxxas metal ones are around $80. I'm looking for something cheaper. I know that the tekno driveshafts are good. There is another brand but I don't know the name of it. Also I am thinking about getting into the trans and diff. I never been into it and again it is still stock. The only thing I did with the trans is change out the spur gear with another one. Also I am going to re grease the diff and just check on all of the gears. With the rustler with the driveshafts and trans it is all good cause the car is only 2 years old vs my slash is 6 years old. Also forgot to mention I got a bearing kit for the slash. Next for both cars is brushless systems. Probably going to go with a hobbywing system.
PXL_20220129_042348009.jpg
PXL_20220129_042318038.MP.jpg
PXL_20220129_042141573.MP.jpg
PXL_20220129_042128319.MP.jpg

For the rustler i am still looking for a servo horn and for the slash still looking a set of shocks. Or I might try to rebuild all of the shocks I have.
Also just thought of the name - MIPs shafts are good as well.

Last edited:
So today I got in and installed a lot of parts. I got the rpm caster and rear hubs for the slash. Rpm rear shock tower and bumper mount. Also I will order another set of the screw pins because they are the original pins in my slash and a couple of them are a little bent. Also going to order a 12mm aluminum hex hubs because I always have a problem with the stock ones. I will get the hobby park ones cause those ones they have a 1.5mm grub screw to screw in to lock the pin and hub in place. And my slash is 6 years old and most of the stuff on it is stock. Now driveshafts. Still have the stock plastic ones. They don't rotate as freely. I know that the Traxxas metal ones are around $80. I'm looking for something cheaper. I know that the tekno driveshafts are good. There is another brand but I don't know the name of it. Also I am thinking about getting into the trans and diff. I never been into it and again it is still stock. The only thing I did with the trans is change out the spur gear with another one. Also I am going to re grease the diff and just check on all of the gears. With the rustler with the driveshafts and trans it is all good cause the car is only 2 years old vs my slash is 6 years old. Also forgot to mention I got a bearing kit for the slash. Next for both cars is brushless systems. Probably going to go with a hobbywing system.
View attachment 141139View attachment 141140View attachment 141141View attachment 141142
For the rustler i am still looking for a servo horn and for the slash still looking a set of shocks. Or I might try to rebuild all of the shocks I have.
Also just thought of the name - MIPs shafts are good as well.
Is the diff smooth? It may not be the shafts. If the diff or diff bearings aren't smooth, it can seem like it's other things causing it. I would disconnect the shafts and spin the diff by hand at where the shafts connect and see how it feels.

The MIP shafts look pretty good to me. When I bought the Exotek drag axles, I was ready to buy the MIP's before I found the Exotek.

I should add, the Exotek are shorter, so don't buy them David. They are for the Bandit 😉

So I went investigating into the slash. I took out the motor, spur gear and slipper clutch and opened it. Looks like everything is good inside and it does roll freely. I think it is the driveshafts so I will look into them. Also when I was in there i did clean it up and added new grease to it.

Here is the new aluminum rear hubs on the rustler.
PXL_20220129_162224682.MP.jpg

The rear hubs were from atomik RC on Amazon. I like these because they have 2 spots for the camber link. These will be good for racing because they give me extra camber tuning availability.

The extra hole is to give you more drive shaft clearance if you use like extra extra long shocks. you're tuning is done with the adjustable camber that you have. I found this out the hard way

Perhaps the top ones are but I was talking about the bottom ones. With rustler a arms and longer shocks the drive shaft will hit. The longer shocks also make the angle of that rear a arm very critical and that caused the stock drive shafts to come apart I had to go to CV joints . you live and learn I guess

20220713_110120_HDR.jpg

Perhaps the top ones are but I was talking about the bottom ones. With rustler a arms and longer shocks the drive shaft will hit. The longer shocks also make the angle of that rear a arm very critical and that caused the stock drive shafts to come apart I had to go to CV joints . you live and learn I guess

20220713_110120_HDR.jpg
It's a bandit but with Rustler rear a arms

I will order another set of the screw pins because they are the original pins in my slash and a couple of them are a little bent.
Titanium dude! I have pulled so many bent hinge pins from Rustlers that are bent. I don't even know how they get that way. I wouldn't think possible, but we do it, on the track all the time. Seen a few non track ones that are bent.
Did you mean to mount the 'Talons on backwards?

Lol... I just replaced the transmission and put them on those wrong direction! Thanks for the heads up!

Back