Got myself a 1/8 Truggy from Hobbyking!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theraggyone

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Couldn't resist with the price of these on Hobbyking at the moment.

So i sold some stuff and placed my order.

The Hobbyking basher sabertooth arrived on Wednesday with some other stuff i ordered including a clear berserker shell to paint and a selection of spares.

I'm off work this week as i had a knee operation so I've had some time to kill so I've painted and reinforced the new shell, filled the three diffs with oil ( they only had a little grease in them), changed the springs and shock oil (it was under-sprung and the shock oil was more like water) and fitted new stronger hinge pins (a known week point).

Now I'm just waiting for my receiver and flysky gtc3 to arrive can't wait to run it, seems a really solid bit of kit.

Got 2 x 6000mah 2s lipos to run in it and also have a 21kg metal geared servo i can swap in if the stock one is as crap as I expect.

IMG_20180830_150837.jpg
IMG_20180830_150804.jpg
IMG_20180830_150813.jpg
IMG_20180830_150837.jpg
IMG_20180830_150820.jpg
15357398828154730312325281030059.jpg
15357399102095710771736341570487.jpg

Last edited:
@Theraggyone keep us posted how the Hobbywing holds up over time, I've been curious about them.

That paint job... man what color is that?! :D

Will do. Its tamiya purple/green irridesecent ps46.

So far I've run seven packs through it with only minor issues. It runs amazing and has blown me away for the cost. Really stable in the air, so quick (for me) and nimble.

I did break a screw head off in the second saver tube nut and couldn't extract it so had to replace the tube nut, I've also bent the front shock tower several times (definitely a weak piont) and I broke a rod end but I bought spares of them .

To be fair I'm surprised that's all that has broken as I've abused it a little at the local dirt jumps (so much fun) but they are pretty massive.

I've been making a brace to resolve my front shock tower issue and now it's finished.

The first tower brace I made wasn't strong enough ,so I made a second but that wasn't compatible with my body shell.

Third time lucky and I've built and mounted this beefy brace using scrap from work , shouldn't have so much issue with the front shock tower bending now?

its aluminium with stiff silicone mat between the brace and towers to absorb some of the energy and it all bolts to the shock towers .

I've used proline thumb screws to replace the body clip mounts too as I ripped out the back pair on my last bashing session ? much better
IMG_20180920_132703.jpg
IMG_20180920_132652.jpg
IMG_20180920_133144.jpg
IMG_20180920_132828.jpg

IMG_20180911_152019.jpg

I think it will be just fine for you. I've had so many brands of rc's and yes these are cheaper and "sloppier" than like a traxxas is but the fact that you can get all the replacement parts like shafts, towers, suspension arms, diffs and so on make them an affordable trade off. The spares are dirt cheap too. I have had two Acme Trooper sct's from them for many years now and loaded up on replacement parts expecting them to be needed but I've rarely actually broke anything. The problems I did have however were the esc and motors on both quit. But it took several years to happen. I've had far more Castle stuff go poof and in short periods of time.

Yup I knew what to expect when I bought it as I did my research first and I loaded up on spares too and upgraded the parts I thought would break first. It's quite a beast actually , drives and looks the part.

I'm really pleased with it and everyone who has seen it has loved it and couldn't believe how cheap it was.might get some better wheel bearings next and shim them a little as there is a bit of slop there

Couldn't resist with the price of these on Hobbyking at the moment.

So i sold some stuff and placed my order.

The Hobbyking basher sabertooth arrived on Wednesday with some other stuff i ordered including a clear berserker shell to paint and a selection of spares.

I'm off work this week as i had a knee operation so I've had some time to kill so I've painted and reinforced the new shell, filled the three diffs with oil ( they only had a little grease in them), changed the springs and shock oil (it was under-sprung and the shock oil was more like water) and fitted new stronger hinge pins (a known week point).

Now I'm just waiting for my receiver and flysky gtc3 to arrive can't wait to run it, seems a really solid bit of kit.

Got 2 x 6000mah 2s lipos to run in it and also have a 21kg metal geared servo i can swap in if the stock one is as crap as I expect.

View attachment 94520View attachment 94518View attachment 94519View attachment 94520View attachment 94521View attachment 94523View attachment 94524

Nice truggy ,whats that on the ground in the first pic ,mushrooms...are you choppin
mushrooms with your new truggy?.....
1537498567468.png

That brace is some serious stuff! You might want to check out the arrma forum for brace ideas. You can use 1" box aluminum stock to make something simple and light by cutting a couple slots in it for the front/rear towers, then just ziptie it in place. Something almost every arrma basher does. Some just let it rest at the base of the rear tower, but I have mine on top of both on my outcast.
2018-0915-Outcast-HotRacingFrontBrace-HomeadeCenterBrace.jpg

Kind of a requirement with these trucks to help a couple problems, the towers bending and the chassis flexing.

That brace is some serious stuff! You might want to check out the arrma forum for brace ideas. You can use 1" box aluminum stock to make something simple and light by cutting a couple slots in it for the front/rear towers, then just ziptie it in place. Something almost every arrma basher does. Some just let it rest at the base of the rear tower, but I have mine on top of both on my outcast.
2018-0915-Outcast-HotRacingFrontBrace-HomeadeCenterBrace.jpg

Kind of a requirement with these trucks to help a couple problems, the towers bending and the chassis flexing.

I tried something similar to that first but couldn't get clearance for my bodyshell .
Heres a picture of my mark 2 brace I couldn't get to work with my truggy.

I'm really pleased with mark 3 it fits great , doesn't weigh too much considering its billet not box section and fits everything in perfectly . can't see me needing to make a mark4
IMG_20180918_220125.jpg

Ah, that's like the arrma talion. The rear body mounts are almost level with the top of the tower which doesn't leave any room. I have the outcast, so I have room on both towers for it.

Fitted some badlands now and changed the pistons from 6x1.6mm holes to x-ray delrin v3 ones with 6x1.3mm holes , the damping is awesome now on the bigger jumps and badlands are super grippy ? really loving this truggy
IMG_20181003_110721.jpg
IMG_20181003_110705.jpg

Last edited:
Fitted some badlands now and changed the pistons from 6x1.6mm holes to x-ray delrin v3 ones with 6x1.3mm holes , the damping is awesome now on the bigger jumps and badlands are super grippy ? really loving this truggyView attachment 94611View attachment 94612
Nice to hear the BSR is holding up for you... They are on sale for $200 again, tempting, even though I really don't need another truggy.. LOL

What body is that? Looks nice!

Its the bsr berserker body from hobbyking .very cheap and once i reinforced it with fibre packing tape it seems really strong, it's taken a beating so far with no major damage

that you aren't on lol

Anything Traxxas only. LOL

RC Universe & RC Garage. I think I registered at both, but only go there once in a blue moon.

Still looking for a good URC replacement.

RC Universe & RC Garage. I think I registered at both, but only go there once in a blue moon.

Lol....some of those people at those places can get down right snippy ,an think that they are Gods in RC.!

To me ,RC is suppose to be a hobby & for fun ,if your stuff looks funny or sounds funny ,over there ,
they label you as an idiot!
Not good for a forum ,can cause a forum to go caput like a lot already has!...:bowtothercnt:

Sadly I'm on the Traxxas forums but I've made like 2 posts in the past 3 years.
And yeah I really wish Jang would at least bring the forums back up as read only so much information on there that is just gone now. @WoodiE said he tried to get in touch with Jang about taking over URC but Jang never even responded back to him.....

Back