Got a drone? You’ll have to register it with the US government

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the gripe I've had all along, regarding quadcopters....uh, I mean "Drones". Anybody can buy and fly without any regard for training of safety. This has put ALL things RC into a precarious position regarding government intervention. We take our hobby seriously and are offended by all the bad press given to ALL of us due to the negligence of a few idiots.
You should be required to register with the AMA and a local club BEFORE being allowed to buy one. Sound harsh? Maybe. But if they are willing to pay for their memberships and spend time learning about safety and courtesy, we wouldn't be having this problem.
Yep. Luckily, with Nitro RC, the idiots tend to not figure out how to start them. Although, I've still heard stories of people driving electrics on the motorway- if one of those went under a wheel and hit someones windscreen...

It's not just multi rotor aircraft, I've seen idiots do dumb things with large helis and airplanes as well. The one common theme being, idiots will be idiots, laws and rules be damned.

That sounds like what they did with CB radios and after they went out of style you did not have to register them. Good old Uncle SAM.

I actually had a CB license way back when. You needed them to operate RC models.

That sounds like what they did with CB radios and after they went out of style you did not have to register them. Good old Uncle SAM.
I knew someone who rigged up a massive antenna on their roof and started contacting U.S stations/frequencies. Back then they didn't really care because they knew it was just some 15 year old joking around with his mates, so they congratulated him.

I think its a good idea to get new pilots to register because of all the idiots doing stupid things with quads. But, I feel it's not really fair to make us responsible pilots register. And I'll tell you once I've never crashed my airplane into anything but the ground.

I think its a good idea to get new pilots to register because of all the idiots doing stupid things with quads. But, I feel it's not really fair to make us responsible pilots register. And I'll tell you once I've never crashed my airplane into anything but the ground.
One of my planes got grabbed by a tree here....

Wait, I forgot about that time I got a foamy super sportster in a tree...... Also I was flying a brand new jet and the wing flew off...... So scratch what I said about the crashing thing.

For once it seems someone in the fed has a little common sence when it comes to regs, those for the commercial side are that bad.

Back