Got a drone? You’ll have to register it with the US government

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be watching you, @WoodiE...from a drone. :ninja:
Excuse me sir, but have you registered it?does your drone weigh over 250g? If so, then you need to register it with the US Department of Transportation. Keeps the public safe see.

Excuse me sir, but have you registered it?does your drone weigh over 250g? If so, then you need to register it with the US Department of Transportation. Keeps the public safe see.
It's in Ninja stealth mode. Try to find me you jack booted thug.

Sounds like a typical response, to me. "If everyone has drones, less people will be droned."
Sorry, I'm droning on...

Last edited:
Sounds like a typical response, to me. "If everyone has drones, less people will be droned."
Sorry, I'm droning on...
You're a real buzzkill when it comes to jokes...

@Rolex just likes DRONING on and on.
tearable-puns.jpg

You're just jealous because I used the "A" word properly.:p

Here's Jeff Dunham and Bubba J on the AMA Flight Safety Rules:

Here's what I'm going with:

Not everybody is happy about the new rules. The Academy of Model Aeronautics, for example, which has long run its own registration system for model aircraft, is telling its members not to register their model planes for the time being.

“While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations,” the organization writes. “Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA’s members strive to be a part of the solution.”

Also, the FAA is forbidden by congress from regulating model aircraft. But you can see where this is going....

This is the gripe I've had all along, regarding quadcopters....uh, I mean "Drones". Anybody can buy and fly without any regard for training of safety. This has put ALL things RC into a precarious position regarding government intervention. We take our hobby seriously and are offended by all the bad press given to ALL of us due to the negligence of a few idiots.
You should be required to register with the AMA and a local club BEFORE being allowed to buy one. Sound harsh? Maybe. But if they are willing to pay for their memberships and spend time learning about safety and courtesy, we wouldn't be having this problem.

Back