Got a drone? You’ll have to register it with the US government

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The US Department of Transportation announced Monday that purchasers of drones will have to register the devices with the federal government as part of a new "national registry."

The plan comes following several close calls with drones and passenger aircraft at airports nationwide and as firefighters have said they have had their aerial firefighting hindered because of drones being in the way. Hundreds of thousands of the small unmanned aircraft are expected to be sold in the coming weeks ahead of the holiday season.

"Registering unmanned aircraft will help build a culture of accountability and responsibility, especially with new users who have no experience operating in the US aviation system," Anthony Foxx, the transportation secretary, said. "It will help protect public safety in the air and on the ground.”

At a news conference, Foxx said the US is creating a "national registry of folks who are owners of drones and users of drones."

Two weeks ago, the Air Line Pilots Association told lawmakers that registering drones could help the authorities track down misbehaving drone pilots. Lawmakers have also called on regulators to take action, too. Rep. Peter DeFazio, (D-OR) told a House panel two weeks ago that flight regulators should consider registration because "there should be a way to track these things back to irresponsible owners."

The government announced a task force to determine which aircraft should be exempt from registration "due to a low safety risk," which might include "toys" and other devices. The recommendations, and the details of how the registration process will work, should be delivered to the agency by Nov. 20, Foxx said. Registered drones will likely host an identifying number linking to its owner.

The task force, the government said, will be composed of up to 30 people from government, the drone industry, and other stakeholders. Foxx said he expects to have a "streamlined registration process" in place "by the middle part of December."

The government is also finalizing formal rules to allow the commercial use of drones nationwide. About 200 clearances have already been granted.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...y-have-to-register-it-with-the-us-government/

I'm going to do some research on this, and take some time to hash this out before posting up my feeling about this. But I will say this; thus far, all the rules and regulations haven't accomplished a damned thing. If anything, sales have surged since it's apparently now the rebel thing to do (rolls eyes). Also, what is their (the US D.O.T.) definition of a "drone"? God I hate that word.

I'm going to do some research on this, and take some time to hash this out before posting up my feeling about this. But I will say this; thus far, all the rules and regulations haven't accomplished a damned thing. If anything, sales have surged since it's apparently now the rebel thing to do (rolls eyes). Also, what is their (the US D.O.T.) definition of a "drone"? God I hate that word.
A drone is an autonomous or semi-autonomous aircraft.

There is also discussion on whether "toy" grade multi-rotors will have to be registered or not. I'm hoping that they won't since all of mine fall into that size-category.

It actually makes sense- to be honest, since drones have taken off (Get it) and more and more people have been buying them, It has become more and more of a risk to privacy and safety. I've heard countless reports of neighbours being "spied on" with a quad copter and a camera on- I've seen some hit cars. Sadly, these laws are having to be enforced because of people that are abusing them, and not taking into account any possible dangers around them.

A drone is an autonomous or semi-autonomous aircraft.

I know that, you know that, the point is, I want to see it clearly defined by the governing body (US DOT) that is all of a sudden making these rules and regulations. Because, as of yet, none of them have been able to nail down a lot things having to do with their rules and regulations, which leaves it in a legal grey area and is up to whoever may come to confront you. That's the biggest problem so far, lack of clearly defined items and lack of clearly defined laws / punishment for committing an offense. It's a blatant money grab, same as it was by the FAA, who failed miserably at it.

It also should be the FAA not the DOT, but oh well...

I have a nice pellet rifle that I will use if a "drone" enters the airspace above my property. Target practice.

Just remember that there are federal charges for shooting at aircraft, Rob. The guy who shot down the "drone" that was allegedly photographing his daughter not only had to pay for the bird but could still face some jail time.

Why so serious? :woot:

I learned to fly rotor-craft with a nitro powered heli with a 4 foot rotor. It was a steep learning curve at a registered field as a dues paying member in the club and the AMA.
Then the electrics started coming out and their prices started coming down and they got small enough to fly in your yard. Then the quads showed up and soon ANYONE could fly them because of their gyros and GPS receivers. That's when the problems started.
You no longer had responsible trained RC pilots flying, you had all kinds of idiots spying. Those idiots are wreaking havoc on our hobby without regard to safety or common sense.

I learned to fly rotor-craft with a nitro powered heli with a 4 foot rotor. It was a steep learning curve at a registered field as a dues paying member in the club and the AMA.
Then the electrics started coming out and their prices started coming down and they got small enough to fly in your yard. Then the quads showed up and soon ANYONE could fly them because of their gyros and GPS receivers. That's when the problems started.
You no longer had responsible trained RC pilots flying, you had all kinds of idiots spying. Those idiots are wreaking havoc on our hobby without regard to safety or common sense.
Totally true- at least the same can't be said for nitro, the "idiots" tend to not figure out how to start them, and if they do, they get bored.

I'm not worried. All of my "drones" are below 250g RTF.

Looks like you've been had @Rolex. It was probably a stolen ride. :eek:

I don't know what to do. I bought one from @WoodiE a while back and the title and registration weren't in the box.

That means it's not legally yours, if it's seen spying on the sheep herd just say it belongs to Woodie!

Back