Good Waterproof / Resistant 7.2v Steering Servo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage SSX

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey all just want to get your opinion on some good waterproof/resistant all metal steering servos for my Summit.

The Summit has been upgraded to brushless but one thing that buggs the absolute hell out of me is that it does not turn worth a darn.

I need your opinion on getting some new servos. I am NOT going to spend $300 on some 1222 oz/in servos

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-HS-79...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e68a85c85

No my goal is to get out of this for under $100 and the best I found were these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380400284317?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Does anyone know of any other servos around this price that are metal, work with 7.4v and are atleast water resistant?
Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Traxxas and Hitec are it right now although the hitec I'm thinking of has a blue case as well. Theres plenty out there that make a claim of waterproof but these are the only 2 that I know really are

Even with a couple of those you will be fine just driving around but when you want to crawl and turn those big tires you will be dissapointed imo, that will only give you 50 oz over stock for the $100 you are spending. If you were to save a little more and get the Hitec HS-7954sh for $99/ea you would be getting 806/oz or 550 oz over stock.

link to servo

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hrc37954s.htm

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cN99P7cho&feature=relmfu"]Waterproofing Your RC[/ame] This is a vid series on how to waterproof all of your electronics using whatever electronics you want to use. Theres even a demo at the end that shows him doing an underwater crawl. If you should want to go that route.

Ok I am very interested in the Hitec HS-7954SH servos. I have done some research on them and from what I read I can get problems using 2 of these because they draw a lot of current and can damage my ESC.

If anyone is farmiliar with the Traxxas Summit it comes with two servos. Can I just run one of these servos and leave the other not hooked up to anything? I have also read that because the summit is set-up for two steering servos it must have two to work properly though I am not sure if thats true with running such a high torque servo. Any thoughts?

Although i havent owned a summit i believe the steering is exactly the same as the Revo in which case you will just need to intall the servo with no mods. i was wondering why you you wanted to go for 2 but that is the question that you asked. anyway even if you you get just one you may need a castle bec to prevent brownouts. also why 7.4 v?

Brian

I am relitively new to the hobby and Thought that the electric ESC's deliver 7.4v to the servos. Also I thought because the summit comes stock with 2 of them I thought I would have to buy two Hitec HS-7954SH servos. I would like to only buy one but I don't know what to do with the other servo hole?

I am new and don't completely understand this. Can you please help me to understand this ?

If your kit comes with two servos then you need to run two servos. My LST2 and my XXL are that way. ESC will typicaly have built in BECs that will cause them to deliver between 4.8V and 6V to the servos. Ideally you want 6V as this will give you the most toque and speed out of your servo. If for some reason you ESC doesn't have a built in BEC or the built in ESC delivers less than 6V than you can get external BECs that you can use to make sure your servos are getting the full 6V they deserve.

As for what lipo to run use the biggest voltage that your ESC and motor can handle and make sure your Lipos can handle the Power drain from the motor. Generally anything in the 40C+ range is golden. 30-35C is usually good. Under 30C starts getting Iffy. you better do some calculating to see how much amp draws your motor is going to draw and how much your battery can output at this point. If its close go for it but watch battery temps. If the motor will draw more amps than the lipo cna deliver get higher C rated lipos.

Ok thank you that does clear it up. I run two Turnigy 7.4v nano-tech's rated at 30c - 60c each.

My summit is running the 1/8 scale Losi LOSB9516 ESC which has a built in programmable BEC.

I wonder can I run one Hitec HS-7954SH servo and one stock servo. Because they are tied into oneanother would it work fine or do I actually need to run Two Hitec HS-7954SH servos?

I guess I am just trying to get out of spending over $200. but between the two there is over 500 OZ of torque which should be plenty to turn the big joe's I have on it.

If your kit comes with two servos then you need to run two servos. My LST2 and my XXL are that way. ESC will typicaly have built in BECs that will cause them to deliver between 4.8V and 6V to the servos. Ideally you want 6V as this will give you the most toque and speed out of your servo. If for some reason you ESC doesn't have a built in BEC or the built in ESC delivers less than 6V than you can get external BECs that you can use to make sure your servos are getting the full 6V they deserve.

As for what lipo to run use the biggest voltage that your ESC and motor can handle and make sure your Lipos can handle the Power drain from the motor. Generally anything in the 40C+ range is golden. 30-35C is usually good. Under 30C starts getting Iffy. you better do some calculating to see how much amp draws your motor is going to draw and how much your battery can output at this point. If its close go for it but watch battery temps. If the motor will draw more amps than the lipo cna deliver get higher C rated lipos.

Actually on the Summit you don't have to run two servos, the LST and XXL's design don't allow for single servo use. I took the time to look at the parts diagram and it is exactly like the Revo so stock you are getting 250 oz of torque, 400 oz should be a vast improvement depending on how big of tires you are running plus it is Tini geared to handle the abuse. It sounds like you won't even need a BEC. btw Savox are great servos as well I own a few.

Actually on the Summit you don't have to run two servos, the LST and XXL's design don't allow for single servo use. I took the time to look at the parts diagram and it is exactly like the Revo so stock you are getting 250 oz of torque, 400 oz should be a vast improvement depending on how big of tires you are running plus it is Tini geared to handle the abuse. It sounds like you won't even need a BEC. btw Savox are great servos as well I own a few.

Thanks for throwing that in there. I didnt know that the summit and the Revo could be run on either one or two steering servos. Good to know.

Cool thanks everyone for helping me figure this out !

Back