Good Castle brushless ESC and motor combo for 2wd rustler/slash. (Alternative for a HW max10sct)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
The Hobbywing system (max10 sct 4000kv) has been on backorder for a little while now. What is a good castle combo for a 2wd rustler and slash? Been looking at the Sidewinder 4 and Copperhead 10 combos. For brushless systems HW was on the top since my uncle has the programmer. Next on my list is Castle. Then last is traxxas vxl. Trying to stay in the 3200kv-4600kv range for the motor. For both cars I'm going to be doing some speed runs. Sometimes going off road. But mainly going to be sidewalk/street bashing.

honestly skip the vxl3s it kinda sucks go straight to castle i would say go with this https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...1412-2100kv-5mm-shaft-cse010-0166-15/p1386589 one i know its 2100 kv but it will give you more power plus this can handle 4s just depends what kinda money you have for what one you buy

3DB00D5C-B902-45D0-99E1-A3C6B9FD23D9.png

A21850A3-DE53-47F0-B978-DD41A0127DB9.png

It depends what you want, I would suggest 3800kv combo if your top speed goal is 45 to 50mph max.i don't have a lot of experience with hobbywing max sistem, but castle sidewinder has very linear throttle response compared to vilenion sistem.

Screenshot_20220915-004112.png

One of my favorite setups for my Rustlers is a sidewinder and a 3800kv combo. Of course 4 is a little better than 3 and Id pick the copperhead over those but any of them will work.

It depends what you want, I would suggest 3800kv combo if your top speed goal is 45 to 50mph max.i don't have a lot of experience with hobbywing max sistem, but castle sidewinder has very linear throttle response compared to vilenion sistem.

View attachment 152598
i do just need to know whos at the bottom of the screen? someone has to ask

Using a 120A HW ESC and a Castle 3800kv (5mm shaft) on 3S with Mod1 gearing I was able to hit 77MPH with my Rusty before I took it to 1/8 scale electronics and 6S.

honestly skip the vxl3s it kinda sucks
Yea I heard stories where the system can overheat on 3s and due to the connector, the connector melted cause of the power going through them. I got spare trx esc connectors. I will use them when I get a new system in. After some time i will probably upgrade to xt90 connectors. Or if it is possible, could I just go with 5mm bullet connectors?
I got 2 old SMC short course batteries with 5mm bullets from my uncle. For 3 cars I think I got too much batteries. I got 7 batteries total. 5 batteries for the slash/rustler and 2 for the mini b.

Yea I heard stories where the system can overheat on 3s and due to the connector, the connector melted cause of the power going through them. I got spare trx esc connectors. I will use them when I get a new system in. After some time i will probably upgrade to xt90 connectors. Or if it is possible, could I just go with 5mm bullet connectors?
I got 2 old SMC short course batteries with 5mm bullets from my uncle. For 3 cars I think I got too much batteries. I got 7 batteries total. 5 batteries for the slash/rustler and 2 for the mini b.
You could just run with 5mm bullets, just have to be a little more cautious making sure the polarity is correct since you wont have a housing to make sure that the polarity is correct.

Back