goin spektrum?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatkid8523

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i was just wondering what all i would have to do to my rc to upgrade to a spektrum system?

Just get the radio and switch out receivers. Follow the directions in the manual for binding. Have you allready bought the Spektrum?

no I'm just curios about them and may purchase one in the future. are they worth the money?

I just bought one about 3 months ago and to be honest, I'm not very impressed with it. Mine does'nt seem to get the range that it should. What do you want it for ( bashing or racing)?

both. i like to bring my firestorm to the track every once in a while.

I've just heard a lot of mixed reviews on the spektrum. Mine is a dx2 and I'm not sure about the dx3 but I just wish I would have done more research to begin with. The radio works great in small areas but when I go for wot passes is when I have problems. I just bash so I did'nt really need spread spectrum. Please get some more input from others before you make up your mind. After all, I could've bought a lemon. Hope I was some help.

yep! i probably wont have the cash for it anyhow but i just wanted to know if they were any good.

I'm a basher and I really like it. I have the DX3. Won it used on ebay with 2 receivers for $150 or there about.

I ran AM 8+ years ago (JR XR2, traxxas TQ3). I didn't run FM (Airtronics MX3) until 4 years ago. Both had major glitch issues for me almost anywhere I ran or what rig I was driving. They also had a very limited range, 100 yards or less. Any more than that and I'd get run aways. I got electronic fail safes and then the truck would stop around 100 yards instead of run away.

4 months ago or so I got the DX3 and I couldn't be happier. No more glitches and a range that is further than I can see (200-300+ yards tested). I wish I hadn't have waited for such a long time. Now I don't worry at all. Just bash.

I have it on all 3 of my trucks. Everything but the micro-t.

I really want to go spectrum too. At my LHS I accidentally poked a guy when I forgot to retract my antenna, and there went my antenna. I also won't have to deal with crystals. If only I could sell my Airtronics MX3.

Guys, these are the reasons I went spektrum but its just not been my luck. Thought I had it all fixed but just yesterday I had problems again.

If you want to go Spektrum go DX3.0, 3R or 3S. Just dont use the 3R for a gasser.
The "3" versions are pretty good although I've heard a few people grumble about the 2.0
The DX3R runs on DSM2 and has been known to glitch on the gassers, supposedly because of the magneto.
In the gassers I run 3R but just use the 3001 receivers. (3.0) and havent had any problems with ANY of my cars..... (since the upgrade)

no I'm just curios about them and may purchase one in the future. are they worth the money?

Sorry for spamming up your thread. I figured out what was causing my problems and after further testig am happy with my spektrum.

Well, if you come to our local race track any given Saturday, you'll see about 90% of the racers are using Spektrum 3R or 3S. There are Some Futaba guys and a couple old school types, but it's mostly 3R and 3S with smiles on all their faces. I have a 3S and i love it. Faster response times, long distances, and the Telemetry kicks azz. You won't be disappointed.

I'm a basher and I really like it. I have the DX3. Won it used on ebay with 2 receivers for $150 or there about.

I ran AM 8+ years ago (JR XR2, traxxas TQ3). I didn't run FM (Airtronics MX3) until 4 years ago. Both had major glitch issues for me almost anywhere I ran or what rig I was driving. They also had a very limited range, 100 yards or less. Any more than that and I'd get run aways. I got electronic fail safes and then the truck would stop around 100 yards instead of run away.

4 months ago or so I got the DX3 and I couldn't be happier. No more glitches and a range that is further than I can see (200-300+ yards tested). I wish I hadn't have waited for such a long time. Now I don't worry at all. Just bash.

I have it on all 3 of my trucks. Everything but the micro-t.

Is this one radio fo rthree trucks/cars?

Yes. The radio stores 4 model settings. It also doesn't require you to rebind when you switch from one model to the next.

The more expensive DX3R stores 30 models and the DX3S stores 10.

I just got the DX3S 2 weeks ago... Definitly a smart move! Just for comfort, the Rx only takes 4 AA's... soooo much lighter. The telemetry is amazing... 10 model memory... I only got 3 of the spots filled... The only complaint I have is when you switch models, it doesn't automatically switch the profile for you... yeah, I'm that lazy. But other than that, I LOVE IT!! wifey didn't like the price tho..... but who cares!

^^
Good post. I was just in my local hobby shop tonight looking at a DX3S and the salesman did not act interested in selling one to me. I could not figure out what his deal was. After reading this thread I think i will pick one up off line tomorrow for my LST2.

^^
Good post. I was just in my local hobby shop tonight looking at a DX3S and the salesman did not act interested in selling one to me. I could not figure out what his deal was.

I'd have asked why. Unless he doesn't like money... or if he's had bad results/complaints with them coming back.

i just went to spektrum on my savagexl, and can't be happier. it also has a built in failsafe did ya no that??!? huh ?? lol.. my advise, pick it up