glow plug questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratvette

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, back today with first serious question. I was at the hobby store in Longview texas last weekend and a subject crossed my mind. Are european glow plugs and US glow plugs of the same thread pitch and diameter? I ask because back in the 90's while on vacation here in tx, I bought a 7.5 cc K&B outboard nitro motor and took it back to germany. When the day came to install a new plug , I ran into thread problems. European plugs would not fit the K&B. I ended up extracting the brass insert from an old OS Max head I had, and machined the KB head.
I currently run european motors , all 3.5cc, with the exception of one 4.1cc, carson force big block , 20% nitro and #3 Weber plugs. The guy at the hobby shop could not offer me the equivalent plug as all he had was Traxxas with apparently no heat range rating. It was new in the package so I couldn't really get a bead on the thread arrangement. The $11 price tag was a little to steep for a maybe. Was also told he only had that type plug because nitro was not a thing anymore.
So my questions would be will US plugs fit my euro motors. If not where can I find plugs that will fit Enya, Picco, OS Max, Nova Rossi ect.

I did a quick look with no real info I did find M 8 listed

Hello, back today with first serious question. I was at the hobby store in Longview texas last weekend and a subject crossed my mind. Are european glow plugs and US glow plugs of the same thread pitch and diameter? I ask because back in the 90's while on vacation here in tx, I bought a 7.5 cc K&B outboard nitro motor and took it back to germany. When the day came to install a new plug , I ran into thread problems. European plugs would not fit the K&B. I ended up extracting the brass insert from an old OS Max head I had, and machined the KB head.
I currently run european motors , all 3.5cc, with the exception of one 4.1cc, carson force big block , 20% nitro and #3 Weber plugs. The guy at the hobby shop could not offer me the equivalent plug as all he had was Traxxas with apparently no heat range rating. It was new in the package so I couldn't really get a bead on the thread arrangement. The $11 price tag was a little to steep for a maybe. Was also told he only had that type plug because nitro was not a thing anymore.
So my questions would be will US plugs fit my euro motors. If not where can I find plugs that will fit Enya, Picco, OS Max, Nova Rossi ect.
Yes there is a different in glow plugs thread and angle..here's a article about different plugs and sizes...

"All About Glow Plugs — Roger's Hobby Center" https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs

I have an odd size plug ,not sure when or where I got it ,but when i first noticed it
laying in my box of junk ,I thought it maybe an older design!..🤔

I can find it an take pics of it!..😎

I dont know for sure but I'm betting thats going to be an issue and you'll most likely have to order glow plugs from overseas. Just a guess

I have found a couple sellers on the web that offer O.S. plugs ( metric). 35 bucks for a 10 pack. Problem O.S. is they dont hold up like the Weber's do. Will keep looking until I know for sure if it's even an issue.

I have found a couple sellers on the web that offer O.S. plugs ( metric). 35 bucks for a 10 pack. Problem O.S. is they dont hold up like the Weber's do. Will keep looking until I know for sure if it's even an issue.
At $3.50 ea Id run em. Thats cheap now a days

Uh my bad. As I'm unpacking I found out that I didn't bring Weber plugs with me. I brought Rossi . I could have sworn that I used Weber's. After thinking about it and talking with my son, we seem to remember switching to the Rossi brand years ago, because Weber's were melting down at high rpm and dumping little pieces of filament in the engines, regardless of the heat range. Some a little sooner, some later, but the end result was the same. I do remember the O.S.s doing the same. We always had to leave a little bit on the needle to prevent burning the plugs out. My son said we never had that problem with Rossi. Sucks getting old and forgetful, but in my defense this stuff has been packed up for a little over two years, and sat dormant in the hobby room for 5 years prior.
And on another note. I went online to to German ebay and found the rossi plugs. They were being advertised as fitting HPI engines. I found some plugs on the us ebay advertised for hpi, not rossi granted but still.
I think I have solved my thread question, but now I will have to see if the other brands will hold up.

Attachments

• 20210816_085400.jpg
    20210816_085400.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Uh my bad. As I'm unpacking I found out that I didn't bring Weber plugs with me. I brought Rossi . I could have sworn that I used Weber's. After thinking about it and talking with my son, we seem to remember switching to the Rossi brand years ago, because Weber's were melting down at high rpm and dumping little pieces of filament in the engines, regardless of the heat range. Some a little sooner, some later, but the end result was the same. I do remember the O.S.s doing the same. We always had to leave a little bit on the needle to prevent burning the plugs out. My son said we never had that problem with Rossi. Sucks getting old and forgetful, but in my defense this stuff has been packed up for a little over two years, and sat dormant in the hobby room for 5 years prior.
And on another note. I went online to to German ebay and found the rossi plugs. They were being advertised as fitting HPI engines. I found some plugs on the us ebay advertised for hpi, not rossi granted but still.
I think I have solved my thread question, but now I will have to see if the other brands will hold up.

You know there is two different types of plugs dont you?

There is a standard plug & there is a Turbo plug ,turbo plugs have a different thread
size an is slightly bigger!..:thumbs-up:

You know there is two different types of plugs dont you?

There is a standard plug & there is a Turbo plug ,turbo plugs have a different thread
size an is slightly bigger!..:thumbs-up:
Yeah, the tip is tapered and there isn't a compression washer on them. They rely on the taper to seal to the combustion chamber. They also used to cost a lot more, but from what I've seen, glow plug prices have gone up a lot regardless what type you buy.

Back