Getting the Maxx ready for winter.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sky's onto a good variation. With our RC setups, we have a bit more flexibility. But, is there enough clearance from the hub? And it may be possible to stud a set of wheels. Don't have to worry about them holding air, so you can use a lot of different things. What about sheet metal screws like some guys use on their ice-block dirt bike tires?

Great ideas...
My objective is a product that can be manufactured easily and affordably.
I would like to market it to the Maxx/MT community that doesn’t have the ability to do it themselves.

Design must incorporated usability by the average end user with out modifications.
I will try to design them to fit the stock tires and wheels. Hopefully without damaging them after the chains are removed.

I think if you use a small enough link size chain to span the width of the rim, and then use your larger link size chain to span the width of the tire...you will clear the hub with out too much difficulty. As for damage to the rim/tire, the rims are going to take damage no matter what type of driving you do. Snow driving is about the driving, not about looking good.

Ease of manufacture, I could go to Lowe's today and put a set of these things together. There is no difficulty in that. If you mass produce them, then you may be able to get the chain even cheaper (bulk rates and all).

As for the studs, the only real issue is tread strength. You need a tread that has enough rubber on it; so that when you poke all of the holes in it for putting screws through (or whatever you use) the tread doesn't tear under load (when you make that hole shot in the snow).

Hmmm, studded tires. These seem like a great idea. You'll probably want to use something that has a very coarse thread pattern like modified sheet metal screws. Another thing to consider doing would be to drill pilot holes first, insert the screws with some contact cement and keep the screws in a uniform pattern to keep the tires balanced.

I would put the studs on a separate insert that went under the tire and over the foam, push the studs through the tires.

A short rivet in a strip of hard yet flexible plastic or even a strip of aluminum the width of the wheel. This would hold the studs tight and not rip the rubber on the tires. The foam would hold the insert against the underside of the tire.
Who will get the patents first??

You can have it FastEddy...I have enough ideas to fill a container the size of New York...

Well between us we will keep the US balanced out. Mine is the size of CA.

Then gimme mine back...:p

Back