Getting back to running Losi LST(2)?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have to say its kind of funny to me that you haven't owned an MGT but run their bodies! it does fit the LST quite well though.

On my sisters Losi Muggy ,the stock body was real thick ,way thicker than those Mgt bodies ,I am on my second
Mgt. body ,I had destroyed the original one years ago from bashing!.....:hehe:

On my sisters Losi Muggy ,the stock body was real thick ,way thicker than those Mgt bodies ,I am on my second
Mgt. body ,I had destroyed the original one years ago from bashing!.....:hehe:
think the only rc i had that came with the stock body was my wheely king and my Exceed, all the others either didnt have one or came with a different one. dont mind it though.
i do want a MGT body for my .21 though just to bring back that OE look.

think the only rc i had that came with the stock body was my wheely king and my Exceed, all the others either didnt have one or came with a different one. dont mind it though.
i do want a MGT body for my .21 though just to bring back that OE look.

Have you ever seen that American flag Mgt. body ,I thought that was cool ,but didn't buy one because
it would of just sit on the shelf!

Have you ever seen that American flag Mgt. body ,I thought that was cool ,but didn't buy one because
it would of just sit on the shelf!
that's what caught my eye in the beginning with the MGT! i dont think i could run with that body on it, probably be my shelf body, more or less why i havent spent money on one yet!

so kind of running into some weirdness with the engine running. typically it starts pretty easy, but keeps on not feeding fuel correctly.
pulled off the tank and going to seal up the primer button.
symptoms of running not right:
will start fine after priming, blip throttle a few times while stationary-> after a about 15-30 seconds of idling and blipping will cut out and die. have to re-prime the fuel to the carb, (can see air bubbles building right outside the carb).
after re-prime-> will fire up quickly then burn through fuel and repeat of above.
few tries of this and slowly working the throttle to keep it running able to run it a few circles.
while running those circles-> high idle and or idle hangs.
cuts out after a minute or two of running around with above symptoms, idle drops to normal then cuts out after a few seconds-> again air bubbles before carb.

any ideas?
fuel line is new
bypassed the fuel filter to confirm that it is not leaking.
that i can tell, fuel tank itself is not leaking. (going to submerge and double check)
sound like it could be an engine air leak? or air leak at all?

I know one of the first things most people did with the LST* was to remove the primer and seal it off. Guess they are prone to sucking air. Did you check your header gasket? It may have degraded and is leaking pressure there too.

How long did it sit since you last ran it?

I know one of the first things most people did with the LST* was to remove the primer and seal it off. Guess they are prone to sucking air. Did you check your header gasket? It may have degraded and is leaking pressure there too.

How long did it sit since you last ran it?
didnt even think about the header gasket thanks! gonna order a few to swap out and have on hand.
sat for about a week or so since i previously ran it, was exhibiting the same symptoms. before that was about 10 years give or take since i had last ran them. not seeing any leaking from the o-rings, but might get another set just to have that crossed off the list, when i tore it apart and cleaned it before i got it going again they looked fine, no dry cracking splitting etc.

Perhaps the o-rings are dried/shrunk/formed to the size of the cylinder they are trying to seal and letting air by. I've had that issue on old engines that sat for a long time. In some cases, it would be so bad that the vibration of the engine would turn the screws and adjust the tune as it ran. Have had that happen a few times on the HSN's on a few engines.

Perhaps the o-rings are dried/shrunk/formed to the size of the cylinder they are trying to seal and letting air by. I've had that issue on old engines that sat for a long time. In some cases, it would be so bad that the vibration of the engine would turn the screws and adjust the tune as it ran. Have had that happen a few times on the HSN's on a few engines.

Lol....I have engines that have their own tuning capabilities too!...:hehe:

When I pulled it apart they seemed soft enough, not compressed, it is worth it anyways for peace of mind though. I've had needles leak before, just never had these symptoms from it.
Tank sat for the full 24hrs so gonna re-install, and pull the engine to seal that. Gonna order some more exhaust springs too, the one on top is kind of mangled from the roto.
Went out and ran the mgt today so haven't had time to work on this one.

got a gasket kit for the engine, kind of weird though finding parts i need through tower hobbies, mostly everything i order as far as parts go are 5+ years discontinued, so its ebay shopping. sucks though, not even an hour after making the order i realized that one tooth of the 70t spur is chipped and only half of the tooth remaining. kind of a weird deal never had a single tooth break like that, wonder if i caught it early and didnt have a chance to strip or something.
pretty sure my LHS has a new spur, is a full TiNi set on ebay though for 80$ but can't swing that on top of other ventures. dont really think id need it though either. spurs are common enough on ebay for this thing.
parts supposed to be in the 16th!

got a gasket kit for the engine, kind of weird though finding parts i need through tower hobbies, mostly everything i order as far as parts go are 5+ years discontinued, so its ebay shopping. sucks though, not even an hour after making the order i realized that one tooth of the 70t spur is chipped and only half of the tooth remaining. kind of a weird deal never had a single tooth break like that, wonder if i caught it early and didnt have a chance to strip or something.
pretty sure my LHS has a new spur, is a full TiNi set on ebay though for 80$ but can't swing that on top of other ventures. dont really think id need it though either. spurs are common enough on ebay for this thing.
parts supposed to be in the 16th!

It could have been a sweet innocent pebble that broke that tooth!.....lol

Yea ,those parts are pricey ,I see a lot of hop-ups & upgrade parts for that Losi on E-bay ,they are almost not
worth it ,who wants to bash there trucks when they are hauling gold?....LOL

However ,if it is a heavy duty part in certain areas ,it would be!....:deadhorse

It could have been a sweet innocent pebble that broke that tooth!.....lol

Yea ,those parts are pricey ,I see a lot of hop-ups & upgrade parts for that Losi on E-bay ,they are almost not
worth it ,who wants to bash there trucks when they are hauling gold?....LOL

However ,if it is a heavy duty part in certain areas ,it would be!....:deadhorse
to me its in the realm of a reasonable price, as it includes both spur gears (hi and low) and both clutchbell gears.

it is quite crazy how expensive these trucks are... havent been able to find a complete decent shape one for under 300$, even the rollers are right around 250-300$

side note: i didnt realize this thing has Aluminum clutch shoes. stock were composite. kind of an exciting discovery i thought.

to me its in the realm of a reasonable price, as it includes both spur gears (hi and low) and both clutchbell gears.

it is quite crazy how expensive these trucks are... havent been able to find a complete decent shape one for under 300$, even the rollers are right around 250-300$

side note: i didnt realize this thing has Aluminum clutch shoes. stock were composite. kind of an exciting discovery i thought.

That Losi clutch set up is expensive ,I thought about getting it for the MGT.,but with my truck ,an good shoes ,it pulls
wheelies like mad!
I found the old aluminum shoes that I ran ,they just need to be cleaned up ,they are mushroomed ,I think that I just
threw the composites on for a quick fix!

I never had much issue running plastic spurs, but I also ran the hard anno'd skid plate that had the wing that went out under the spurs. I bent an input shaft or two which would cause the spurs to get all chewed up until I got that.

got the o-ring kit and the exhaust coupler set in today, went ahead and sealed the engine too. dont really know how necessary it was as the backplate has an o-ring, and the carb has dual o-rings. just need to let it dry and gonna try to run it tomorrow, see if that fixed it.
the upper carb o-ring was definitely shot, as were the needle o-rings. were about as hard as a rock. got some green slime too to put on the rings. one of those weird things that my LHS actually stocks. i finally convinced them to carry ARO and Air filter oil and sold out within 2 days.
spur is in the mail, gonna baby this one for now until it either gives up, or new ones get in.

Did you also remove the primer from the tank and seal that off?
yes i did, was kind of a pain to get out but little bit of finesse... (i mean yanking the crap out of it with pliers) got it apart lol

Yeah, I remember it not being the most fun task. For primers, I really like the associated primer bulb. Couple extra zipties on it and they work really well. Also gives you more run time on your roof! I need all of that I can get! lol!

Yeah, I remember it not being the most fun task. For primers, I really like the associated primer bulb. Couple extra zipties on it and they work really well. Also gives you more run time on your roof! I need all of that I can get! lol!
lol so I'm not the only one! the clunk system of the MGT's actually works pretty well for that though, keeps it running even when upsidedown

Back