Getting back to running Losi LST(2)?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well got another lesson today on loctiting stuff was able to run the truck for a minute, engine running beautifully, but happened to flip the truck and noticed some binding, truck wouldn't move so killed the engine. Though the spur finally got destroyed. Ended up being the transmission, the screw that holds the small bevel gear ( the one I didnt locktite) backed out and that shaft started coming out the trans sucked as I had to take the chassis almost completely apart to get the trans out. Had to partially disassemble the trans while still in the truck to pull it too. Got it reassembled and locktited the hell out of it, hope to run tomorrow!

I don't recall having to take the trans apart to get it out. Although, I had the aftershock, so maybe it differed. I think you had to pull the engine to get the trans out though. I didn't have mine out that often, other than to do the "gear flip mod" and replace the input shaft a couple times.

Hoping to get my savage out again tomorrow to fight with it's tuning demons a bit more.

I don't recall having to take the trans apart to get it out. Although, I had the aftershock, so maybe it differed. I think you had to pull the engine to get the trans out though. I didn't have mine out that often, other than to do the "gear flip mod" and replace the input shaft a couple times.

Hoping to get my savage out again tomorrow to fight with it's tuning demons a bit more.
hope you get that thing working right always frustrating when they aren't! Get that new plug for it?
usually you dont have to take the whole truck apart, but the idler shaft backed out and was sandwiching the chassis so i was not able to remove it like normal. dont think I'm going to do the gear flip mod on mine, for my driving experience dont think i need the extra speed. ordered a Hardcore racing Brake for it hope it tones them down if even just slightly.

hope you get that thing working right always frustrating when they aren't! Get that new plug for it?
usually you dont have to take the whole truck apart, but the idler shaft backed out and was sandwiching the chassis so i was not able to remove it like normal. dont think I'm going to do the gear flip mod on mine, for my driving experience dont think i need the extra speed. ordered a Hardcore racing Brake for it hope it tones them down if even just slightly.
I ran traxxas 3.8 sized wheels/tires on my aftershock, so I needed to gear up. I did the gear flip which adds +1, then later got +2 pinions and threaded bell from RCMonster to end up with +3 over stock. With the LRP28 in it, it still wheelied on demand, but was fairly quick. Ended up having constant issues with the two speed clutch though jumping the flat spot on the 2 speed hub, so kind of gave up and sold it off. Just got tired of messing with it. If I still had it, I would have likely converted it to electric and replaced the 2 speed setup with a single speed.

I got a couple A5's coming in the mail, not sure why they are taking so long. Usually amazon stuff gets here in a couple days.

I did pull the engine to replace the cracked engine mount plate and increased the bell to a 16T to run with the smaller/lighter tires as well as installed the HPI polished pipe. I also shortened the header coupler to be closer to stock as I had it about 3/4" longer just for alignment purposes. Thought maybe that could be adding to the problem as well. Also, the 7075 dynamite shoes I put on before my last run seemed really worn/mushroomed. Figured they would hold up better than they did. I removed the burrs and hoping the smaller/lighter tires will put less strain on them.

Going to take it out somewhere local today and see how it responds. Although, it's about 85% humidity out and damp/rainy, which in the past always caused tuning issues with any engine. They don't seem to care for humidity. Still, I want to see what the changes did, then will try the A5 plug when I get them.

Well, the pipe or tires helped it seems. After richening it up a bit, seemed to perform well. Was just very "light switchy". Ran 500cc's through it, broke 2 rear center axles... one bone and one cvd pin. Then rain storms showed up. One of the tires I put on was seriously out of balance. Will have to sort that out and order/find center dog bones/cups as the rear cup was pretty notchy. Downloading the footage now, will make a new thread.

Awesome glad at least the engine is performing better! Are the flux parts compatible and or any stronger with the diff/ axles? Kinda clueless on savages lol
wanting to see that video
gonna go run the lst and mgt rigged a phone holder to a controller gonna see if I can get some videos too lol

Well, the pipe or tires helped it seems. After richening it up a bit, seemed to perform well. Was just very "light switchy". Ran 500cc's through it, broke 2 rear center axles... one bone and one cvd pin. Then rain storms showed up. One of the tires I put on was seriously out of balance. Will have to sort that out and order/find center dog bones/cups as the rear cup was pretty notchy. Downloading the footage now, will make a new thread.

LOL...Welcome back to nitro ,I sure do miss that stuff!...:hehe:

Awesome glad at least the engine is performing better! Are the flux parts compatible and or any stronger with the diff/ axles? Kinda clueless on savages lol
gonna go run the lst and mgt rigged a phone holder to a controller gonna see if I can get some videos too lol

Hey ,you miss spelled Lst & Mgt.!....:hehe:

I havent been able to shoot a vid. ,my wife stoled my SD card for the trail cam ,now it is storming!,,,:doh:

I wished that my Mgt. was together ,it loves this weather!

The flux and X use the same center bones, so no upgrades there. I do have the "flux" outer bones, which are twice as thick. Don't know why HPI never did that with the centers. Especially on the extended trucks. I have 2 in the mail already as well as a few cups.

I ran over 12 gallons through my aftershock. Most of which was an LRP28. Never broke/wore out a center CVD, original diffs (upgraded diff cups 4 months after getting it), I did break an outer CVD a couple times but was due to breaking tie-rods and the tires getting way more angle than they should have... and me not stopping right away. I upgraded the tierods to lunsford and never broke a cvd again.

Never had a MGT. Really wanted one of the 3.0 MGT's, but by the time I opened a hole in my fleet, they didn't exist anymore.

The flux and X use the same center bones, so no upgrades there. I do have the "flux" outer bones, which are twice as thick. Don't know why HPI never did that with the centers. Especially on the extended trucks. I have 2 in the mail already as well as a few cups.

I ran over 12 gallons through my aftershock. Most of which was an LRP28. Never broke/wore out a center CVD, original diffs (upgraded diff cups 4 months after getting it), I did break an outer CVD a couple times but was due to breaking tie-rods and the tires getting way more angle than they should have... and me not stopping right away. I upgraded the tierods to lunsford and never broke a cvd again.

Never had a MGT. Really wanted one of the 3.0 MGT's, but by the time I opened a hole in my fleet, they didn't exist anymore.

I got lucky ,an my Dad was helping someone move ,an they gave him this ,then he gave it to me!....:cool:

She is all tucked away ,an ready to go when I need her ,all I need ,is a body!

Always thought the mmgt was cool, sucks for how short lived they were, would have been a cool rig to own.

got to run it again last night, still having some issues, decided to run it with 20%, seems alot more stable to tune, realized that the engine seal kit i got did not include the Idle o-ring (didnt even think about that needle when i was installing), and after a minute or two of running noticed i was noticing some fuel seeping through it. For now made another O-ring work, as it was also really stiff, but ordering another seal kit to put the right one in. burned through my 30% so I'm swapping everything back to 20%.
on dirt was getting 2nd gear wheelies not even at full throttle, the power out of this mach .26 is insane, just wish wasn't having all these problems with it, but thats not the engines fault at all, only myself to blame.

Had a delivery come in today! Haven't been able to install yet, excited to put it on though! Hoping it will be slightly less aggressive than what is factory but time will tell, almost dont want to tear it out of the packaging though lol
20190523_171358.jpg

yes, I'm thinking it will help alot that it isnt steel on steel for braking. definitely a big thanks to @cbaker65 for finding it and linking it to me. my first ever Hardcore racing part, few things I'm looking at for my MGT, but they are things that havent yet failed that are existing.

That should work nicely then, but you may need more servo to stop well. I ran a hitec 985MG which had 172oz @6V when I ran the single CF disk. It did pretty well.

I'm running dual CF disks on my savageX now, with the same servo. It endo's if I get to aggressive with the brake. Had to dial it back quite a bit.

so was able to bring the truck our and really run a few tanks through it today, was kind of spontaneous but had a blast running it!
found a falling tree that made a perfect ramp lol.

a bit rich but temps right around 240, if pinning the throttle when shifting, thing wants to go sideways, just blows me away the power this .26 has. i am tempted to get some new cutch springs as it feels like i have to rev quite a bit to bite, but probably something i should just get used to lol

Back