Getting back into RC!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacRacing

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Long time no post!

Guys (and Gals),

I am looking at getting back into RC.
I want to start small though, and keep it simple.
A couple of years ago, I sold all of my RC trucks.

What i was thinking.. was something small that I could run on-road and off-road.

I really like on and off road.. and to have one vehicle that can do both would be fun.

A friend of mine is probably going to get the same thing I am getting so we can race them.

Any and all ideas are appreciated!!

I am posting this in electric because I think I am going to stay away from nitro. I love nitro, but electric will be a lot easier for me at this time. Also, I do not have easy access to nitro fuel. I wish I could afford the Baja, but small electric will have to do.

I am thinking 1/10th scale or smaller.
I do not want a wallet breaker, and I do want it to be sturdy/tough.

So far, I have been looking at the 1/16th scale E-revo and the SC trucks.
I don't know if 2wd is better (on the SC trucks) or 4wd. I just want it to be fun and do on/off road. I was thinking I would get some onroad tires for running in the street or parking lots, and save the dirt tires for the dirt.

Thanks,
Adrian

I looked at the rustler a little.
I used to own a XXX-NT. I like stadium trucks.

I have been mostly looking at the 1/10th scale Slash and the 1/16th scale E-revo.
Would the rustler be better than those two for on and off road?

No. The 1/16 eRevo (or mERV) is hands down one of the best mini trucks on the market. I gravitate towards mini and micro vehicles and the mERV is my favorite. The brushless or VXL version is insane fast on 2s LiPo (7.4v) and is just insane on 3 s LiPo (11.1v). I average about 15 minutes on a 1600mAH LiPo pack. The new radios that come on them are 2.4 GHz and relatively interference free. For $300 plus a good charger, you can't do much better.

I have run mine on and offroad and it never fails to put a silly grin on my face. I haven't broken anything on my truck yet and I do beat it like a red-headed step-child. The only upgrade that I recommend is the center diff to help keep all 4 wheels planted when I hammer the throttle on 3s packs.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the responses!!

On the E-Revo.. there are two versions?

I looked at the rustler a little.
I used to own a XXX-NT. I like stadium trucks.

I have been mostly looking at the 1/10th scale Slash and the 1/16th scale E-revo.
Would the rustler be better than those two for on and off road?

I think the rustler would be better on road than the slash but I can't speak from experience. I know the slashes have a tendency to flip over from what I was told when turning. I mentioned the rustler because you said you didn't want to spend a lot. I know the nitro revo is pretty pricey so I would imagine the e revo is a good chunk of change as well.

I think the rustler would be better on road than the slash but I can't speak from experience. I know the slashes have a tendency to flip over from what I was told when turning. I mentioned the rustler because you said you didn't want to spend a lot. I know the nitro revo is pretty pricey so I would imagine the e revo is a good chunk of change as well.

I was thinking the 1/16th scale E-Revo.
They must be popular, because a lot of online stores are out of stock.

I was thinking the 1/16th scale E-Revo.
They must be popular, because a lot of online stores are out of stock.

yea the e revo is one of the best selling r/cs by traxxas. They are supposed to be really good. You will love it if you get one.

yea the e revo is one of the best selling r/cs by traxxas. They are supposed to be really good. You will love it if you get one.

The full size E-Revo is way too expensive. Good Lord.

Is the 1/16th too small for grass?

As long as it isn't too long it's okay. And yes there are two versions. the brushed and the brushless or VXL version.

someone is selling a revo in the classifieds section

I will probably just go with a new one. If my friend gets one, we will probably order them at the same time and start even.

Check out the Traxxas Rally too. Same size as the MERV (1/16) and can handle dirt, gravel, and pavement (like a real rally car). You can use the slicks on the street and then get some knobby rally tires for off-road use.

I have the same chassis in their Mustang Boss 302 and Ken Block Gymkhana Fiesta and they are super fun and fast (VXL versions)...

HTH...
Mark

Back