Getting an early start...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipisugbo

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My sons fifth birthday is on May 15th, and since he is always wanting to play with my T-Maxx, but finds it a bit noisy, too fast and hard to control, and obviously its not something he can do without strict adult supervision, I just ordered a Rustler XL-5. I figure its probably the best place to start.

I've read a few things about the Titan motors not being the best when it comes to longevity, but since I know NOTHING about electrics(this will be the first hobby-grade electric I've ever owned), I figured I'd ask - what can I plan on replacing it with that will have a better lifespan, and still be able to use the stock ESC with the 50% training mode?

I like and always have gotten good performance out of reedy motors.:D

Reedy does make some decent motors. i used them on my Associated RC-18t before I went brushless and would recommend them.

honestly i have a rustler and a bandit and honestly it is 50/50 with the motors both have same motors and everything (OOPS the bandit's esc. is just alittle bit different by not having as many modes as the rustler) and the bandits motor is older and been running greet... the rustler's motor has been replaced twice from no beeting at all.. the only good thing is traxxas has replaced it everytime because the first motor had 2min on it and the secound had a halfa pack ran through it... right now the bandit motor is in the rustler from the first time it died (so the kids could try that one out) so the replacement went into the bandit and the 2nd motor that went was in the bandit for the half a pack.. after all that they both run great so far.. the kids lovem both!!!!! Your boy will love it and when he is ready traxxas does the power up program where you can trade that motor and esc. torwards the brushless system and you pay less for it.. thats what I am going to be doing as soon as they are cumfy with the controles and show they can handle it.

Get a Traxxas Slash. Personally, I'd never buy one, but that's a personal opinion. Honestly, it has a training mode, and because short course racing is so popular right now, it's the easiest truck to find parts for.

I already bought the rustler; it has a training mode, and where/how he'll be using this truck, I don't think breaking is going to be too much of a problem - yet.

The rustler is a tough little truck. I think he will enjoy it. I have never had any issues with traxxas electric motors.

Last edited:
i agree ever since the motor thing is figured out it is pretty durable!!!

I'll try to get some video of him using it when his birthday rolls around. I'll let you guys know how it works out. I also went ahead and got him two extra 8.4v 3000mah nimh batteries. Don't want him to get 5 minutes of run time and have to wait an hour to run it again, lol

Back