Gasoline powered HPI Savage XL Octane

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love both electrics and nitros. I dont fault anyone for liking one over the other as its all just personal preference.

I can't wait to see the truck in action. I have a Baja 5B, parts are a little higher than my Nitro stuff. Plus it takes so much room to really get it rippin. I doubt the Octane will have the rip that the 5b has but I might be wrong at least I hope. If HPI is smart maybe they will make this one more affordable from the get go.:D I wonder if Traxxas have plans in the works for a truck to compete. They still have not offered any real 1/5th scale stuff worth a crap. But thats just my opinion.:D

If you all remember they made a 1/5 scale nitro Savage. It was only sold in Japan and it cost like $1400. It was a huge fail. Will see how this goes. I am pretty interested

wish there was a way to mount a walmart weedeater motor in a savage :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8J4hXH0vos"]HPI SAVAGE With Mitsubishi 2 Stoke Engine (26CC) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG6De2PQ_SQ"]HPI Savage on gasoline 28cc - YouTube[/ame]

i think i might have to get me some new gardening equiptment.....

i bet the price will be around $1k.but even with the 3 speed tranny your not gone see over 40-45 imo.but can you say torq.i'm still on the fence w/this one.

---------- Post added at 9:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:10 AM ----------

1/5 scale rigs can be made to rip just as hard as a nitro rig, all it takes is money. :D

that's it my friend.i bought a $10,000 dollar t-shirt when i upgraded my busa to 1550cc w/nos:D

I can see this in my future but probably not this year. I think rc is like buying an automobile, the very first release is prone to problems just like the first year a re designed vehicle has problems. I'd like to wait and see how this plays out along with the aftermarket support its going to get.

i was going to chop my xl in for a maverick blackout but i just didnt like that slow take off where it sounds like the clutch is slipping until the engine kicked in where nitro is instant, as is brushless of course (thought i put that in there for the girls):p:
if i can get mini version of my yz80 engine in a MT i'll be away

I have a Baja 5b it mainly sits, tons of upgrades just dont rip like a nitro. It takes so much room to run and its loud as heck. 1/5 scale is fun I just still prefer nitro, and I will never own another electric again last brushless rig I had melted into a plastic puddle. Just prefer nitro I guess

likeshittoff,
That truck conversion is awsome, Could I have the parts list you used to setup the savage with gas? I have this same truck and would love to rip out the Nitro and install gas. Maybe after 5 years of this truck sitting on a shelf I may now use it:D

hi mate, sorry i may have mislead you there, the trucks in the vids aren't mine i just found them on youtube and thought i would share them.
if you send a message via youtube to the guy posting the vids you may get an answer

i'm still running nitro:)

XL Octane

Steve here... Just pre-ordered one on Towers web site:first_place:

There not in stock yet are they. Did not think they were going to be releasing it. Tower hobbies site said orders pending?

There not in stock yet are they. Did not think they were going to be releasing it. Tower hobbies site said orders pending?

Yes, They are order pending, but they don't charge your credit card until it ships. And they have free shipping right now.
Steve

Some great points fellas. Gave me much to think about. I've actually been squirreling away money just a 1/5. I do, however, know to not be in the "beta" test guys. I'm not paying the big bucks for them to learn on. If they would give me one discounted and let me report to them, I'd be on it today. I'm also wanting to see how the LOSI Desert performs. Haven't found any non-sponsored feedback really. I hope it's great because it sure looks fun!

Some great points fellas. Gave me much to think about. I've actually been squirreling away money just a 1/5. I do, however, know to not be in the "beta" test guys. I'm not paying the big bucks for them to learn on. If they would give me one discounted and let me report to them, I'd be on it today. I'm also wanting to see how the LOSI Desert performs. Haven't found any non-sponsored feedback really. I hope it's great because it sure looks fun!

Just got off the phone with Tower... I received a promo coupon in an email last night. The gal at Tower is taking another $120 off the truck.. $679.99 shipped
Steve
They have no idea when they will ship

The Octane is not on Tower's website anymore. I had it on my wish list (forgot to remove it after I pre-ordered), and I just received an email stating that my wish list item is no longer available. I searched on Tower's site for it, and it's gone. My pre-order will get cancelled soon I'm guessing. Errrrr!

Back