fms fxc24 v scx24 deadbolt first impressions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had the nuts fall off of our SCX24's. Weird.
It became more of a problem after putting longer brass hex's on and the longer nuts that came with them - might have been me not putting them on tight enough.

I agree about the deadbolt nuts falling off - v frustrating - I solved that with loctite but regret doing so as they are now on too tight for comfort.
It would be good to see some pics? - I'd be interested in some low offset wheels so as not to get too close to the portals and to enable a wider choice of tyre but not sure which to get any thoughts appreciated - is the servo and motor good enough on the FCX to handle more weight and wider wheelbase?
I am currently running mofo deep dish low offset 1.0 wheels which are also wider than typical 1.0 wheels. I believe they are called Lone Stars but when I checked the site yesterday to buy some new ones I couldn’t find them, so they may have been discontinued. They have several other low offset wheel options but some of the more attractive offerings are weirdly modular and you have to buy individual components a la carte to put them together and I couldn’t make sense of what I’d need for a complete setup. Injora and RC4WD have some low offset wheel options, too, but they are narrower like all the other mainstream 1.0 wheels, which I’m not crazy about. I did order a set of the new heavy brass low offset Injora wheels from their website yesterday because I desperately need more wheel weight at this point. I don’t love the style but they are an awesome value at $29 for 4.

As for the servo, current opinion on the matter is the stock one is surprisingly good and not in need of an upgrade. The motor has plenty of power to handle basic weight-adders and I haven’t heard of anyone burning theirs out prematurely among the people who have done significant upgrades. I ordered a spare motor and 2 speed trans from FMS just in case, for a ridiculously cheap $13 for the entire assembly, so I’m not too worried.

Here are some shots of my truck in various configurations running my mofo wheels.

F63D8D6F-257B-4A79-A63D-70CC6B4D30FF.jpeg

0C98DE60-23FE-4CD4-BD00-30013E1AF67E.jpeg

76EACA51-7400-4C18-B7C0-271C168E230F.jpeg

69B6B4E9-3DDE-4DAE-BBE7-523E4850FCA7.jpeg

35DC221E-9347-4FAF-8672-1CFFFFBC0D17.jpeg

5EFE5EF0-E36F-4E26-9595-3F03BBCFF7C7.jpeg

Today I added a set of Injora 65x19 comp pins multi terrain tyres on injora metal beadlocks with negative offset to keep the wheels away from the portals (tyres and wheels are great value). I am very impressed with the results. The extra height and grip of the tyres makes climbing a dream. I reluctantly admit that this setup is now probably a better climber than my modified deadbolt and more fun .
injora pins 2.JPG

Today I added a set of Injora 65x19 comp pins multi terrain tyres on injora metal beadlocks with negative offset to keep the wheels away from the portals (tyres and wheels are great value). I am very impressed with the results. The extra height and grip of the tyres makes climbing a dream. I reluctantly admit that this setup is now probably a better climber than my modified deadbolt and more fun . View attachment 152862
Looks great! Do you have any tricks that helped you mount those tires on those wheels? I have the same ones in white, and a set of Comp Pins? I gave up on them after a few hours having only succeeded in mounting one tire (poorly).

I have been playing around with these instead. Surprisingly good in some ways! Barely taller than the comp pins but about 3x wider seems to add a lot of stability although the grip is only so so.

F38E1655-55F1-42FE-B605-9EA5E2195FB9.jpeg

961DCA60-37D9-4FDF-A554-D7A51DC562C0.jpeg

1700498A-5366-44D1-9092-745B7977DC52.jpeg

Also, it bears repeating: Get brass portal covers. My Treal ones fit beautifully and made a yuge difference in stability. Injora ones add even more weight at about half the cost although I don’t have firsthand experience with them. They came out right after I ordered the Treals, although at this point I rather prefer the black finish over the Injora raw brass look for more of a realistic scale appearance.

I was going to do a video on putting beadlocks together, but I was in too much of a hurry to get our Deadbox running.

Sometimes certain tires don't do well with certain beadlocks. But usually there is a spot where the tire fits in the wheel lip. Try not to stretch the tire at all. You want the tire to be as close to its free state as possible.

Get the screws started, just a thread or two. Check the tire to make sure everything looks good. If an area needs tugged on, stretch it gently. If an area seems to be too far out of the bead, try to poke it back in. I have these thin metal paint stirrers for my aibrush that I use, but I've also used a dull tweezer or screwdriver.

From there, I turn the screws maybe one turn at a time, in a criss-cross pattern. Repeat until you get them seated, checking both sides of the tire to wheel lip. If anything goes out of whach, back up 1 turn on the screws and fix it.

Hope this helps. I will try to get a video next time I do beadlocks.

Do you have any tricks that helped you mount those tires on those wheels?
With the injora wheels for me the trick was making sure you put the two longer (8mm) & temporary screws in first. Without doing this you have no chance of bringing the two sides together - once they are tightened just enough to close the gap a little then fit the permanent (5.5mm) screws before finally removing the two long screws and replacing them with the standard ones. The other thing I had to do was reverse the lock nuts so the nylon bit went on first - thats the only way my socket could tighten the nut because the wheel screw heads stick out too much.

Back