Fishing Thread 2022

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xraycer

RCTalk VIP
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
This is an rc forum, but like many members here, I have other interests/hobbies. One of my other long time interest is fishing. I know others here are into fishing as well. So, let's share fish and fish related stories.
@Tunedpipe @HPIguy @WideOpen

Spring is quickly descending upon southern NH, so I'm getting that kayak fishing itch. While at Walmart yesterday, I came across an Abu Garcia baitcasting combo. It looked too cool to pass up at only $50!
I've only had a very short experience with baitcasting once, during my teen years. Spinning gear is just so much more advantageous from shore and in thick foliage areas. However, from a kayak/boat, the game is changed.
I'll now have to start learning to be a proficient left hand caster. Did a bit of practice yesterday in the backyard and it went well. Best part is, I didn't create any dreaded birdnests 😀
0326221725a.jpg
0326221725d.jpg

I never got into fishing, I always went with my dad to keep him company, enjoyed being out in nature.
Fishing is one of those things that you're either into or you're not. For the fishing junkie, it's all about the adrenaline rush of that hook up!
Of course, if you enjoy being out in nature, there's also that.

I fish - want to cast that here are the instructions for easy sucess.
  1. tie your lure on
  2. reel it about to the eyelet
  3. that little black knob - sung it down
  4. hold your rod out about 2 o'clock
  5. push the casting release
  6. nothing should happen
  7. now slowly loosen the little black knob until the lure hits the water
  8. reel it up and try it again
  9. when you have the knob set correctly (for a beginner) the lure will fall all the way to the water and only one or two raised loops on the reel will be visible
  10. now, when you cast hold the rod so that the reel is sideways (for an overhead cast the reel handle will either be on the top or bottom depending on if you are right or left-handed. if you are casting side arm it will be on the side)
  11. as you cast, right as the lure hits the water stop the spool with your thumb
  12. With this set up the reel should almost be ready to stop anyway but as you get better and want to cast farther, you can loosen that knob, you'll just have to be better at stopping the spool when the lure is coming in for touchdown
If I had you here with me you'd be casting flawlessly in about two minutes

I fish - want to cast that here are the instructions for easy sucess.
  1. tie your lure on
  2. reel it about to the eyelet
  3. that little black knob - sung it down
  4. hold your rod out about 2 o'clock
  5. push the casting release
  6. nothing should happen
  7. now slowly loosen the little black knob until the lure hits the water
  8. reel it up and try it again
  9. when you have the knob set correctly (for a beginner) the lure will fall all the way to the water and only one or two raised loops on the reel will be visible
  10. now, when you cast hold the rod so that the reel is sideways (for an overhead cast the reel handle will either be on the top or bottom depending on if you are right or left-handed. if you are casting side arm it will be on the side)
  11. as you cast, right as the lure hits the water stop the spool with your thumb
  12. With this set up the reel should almost be ready to stop anyway but as you get better and want to cast farther, you can loosen that knob, you'll just have to be better at stopping the spool when the lure is coming in for touchdown
If I had you here with me you'd be casting flawlessly in about two minutes
I'm actually doing very well. I was just outside practicing. I find that using a 2 handed grip, I was getting within 5ft of my intended targets. I'm still gunshy of backlashes, so I haven't really full out launched it. I've been getting out about 30ft-40ft.
The reel actually comes with anti-backlashing device, but I haven't bothered trying it and just threaded it up for regular use. This reel casts so smooth!

I was always intimidated as a kid by baitcast reels, so I never messed with them. I stuck to my trusty Zebco reels and a Johnson that always did well for me. In my later years I stepped up to open face, and did quite a bit of river fishing one summer with some buddies from work. We had large gear, and were fishing for monsters. We never really caught any really big ones that summer, but it was fun times for sure.

The best time I ever had fishing was with an American Freight driver I met while loading his truck every day for a few months. We started talking fishing and such, so we started hanging out. He was a DJ in the off hours, so I started helping him setup. We started fishing afterwards and usually went to a medium small river called Eel river. It was forked by a smaller creek as seen here...
https://www.google.com/maps/place/39°19'04.3"N+87°10'52.9"W/@39.317859,-87.1824862,205m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x886d099f12c7d2bb:0x4b0b6cd10b7771f7!2sEel+River,+Harrison+Township,+IN+47858!3b1!8m2!3d39.3233748!4d-87.1236248!3m5!1s0x0:0xae82832d7a79c2cb!7e2!8m2!3d39.3178586!4d-87.1813647

We usually got there after 3am when finished DJing. The very first time I was there, when daylight hit, we saw what appeared to be about a 100lb catfish coming back down the small creek. He must have gotten his fill upstream that night, because he made a beeline for his hole under a fallen tree limb, and was not tempted by any of our scrumptious bait.

About an hour later my buddy was telling me how to catch Walleye. He said they lay behind rocks in the fast current, waiting for fish to come by. Sure enough, we had that exact condition in the river in front of us, but it was a very hard cast. I made three or four attempts, then finally landed about 3 feet past the protruding boulder. I felt the line wrap around the rock, and almost instantly I got a strike. I fought to get it in, but when I got it close to the bank, I saw an impressive fish I didn't expect to ever see where I lived. It turns out, Walleye are pretty plentiful there. It wasn't a monster or anything according to my buddy, but it was about 18" long I think. We only managed to catch one other smaller one that day. Both were released.

I bought me a new bait caster rod and reel for bass a few weeks ago. Can't wait to get out on the kayak. I have too many grandkids with birthdays for the next couple of weeks and then Dr. appointments.

I love fishing! Went out with my son yesterday, we got 21 bass, no giants but still a ton of fun. I have recently restored a 1989 Hydrasport x270 with a Johnson vro 140 and a minnkota terrova trolling motor. I also run a monthly tournament here in central Florida. I use a combo of both spinning and bait casters. My favorites are ny quantum exo pt 200 reels on my duckett rods. I also have several skeet reese victory 3000 spinning reels and skeet reese rods.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-08-12-22-33.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-08-12-22-33.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 2018-01-13 14.44.28.jpg
    2018-01-13 14.44.28.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20170315_115557.jpg
    20170315_115557.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210401_223703.jpg
    20210401_223703.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 30
Good idea for a thread. A place to come to unwind as a break from RC.

Spent many a weekend overnighting on the Missouri River in my childhood days. Catfish were our favorite. We'd stringer them and throw the carp and gar back in the river. We fished with two or three other guys with their own boats. Gathered driftwood and built a fire on a sandbar for a rolling kettle of coffee. We got our best catches fishing during thunderstorms. Ate a lot of catfish in the late '50s and early'60s. Kinda got away from it after joining the Air Force.

Dad would build his own boats. Fourteen- or fifteen-foot wooden john boats. 18hp Johonson tiller control outboard. We'd build the boat over the winter, fish it all summer. Dad would sell it come fall and we'd build another. Great days.

Cheers. 'AC'

on a backlash - not that big a deal. Just take the line coming out of the reel, gently pull it until you find a loop at the spool that is around the mainline, take a dental type of pick and pull that loop and repeat until the backlash frees up. Not that big a deal, generally ;)

on a backlash - not that big a deal. Just take the line coming out of the reel, gently pull it until you find a loop at the spool that is around the mainline, take a dental type of pick and pull that loop and repeat until the backlash frees up. Not that big a deal, generally ;)
I remembered mine being so bad at times that I ended up just respooling The whole dang thing.

I LOVE fishing. I just bank fish and have had horrible luck the past two years with very few catches and our water years have been extremely short but I'm ready to go. I really like to go to a place called CJ's Strike which is near Mountain Home idaho or up to American Falls idaho.

Last time I took my dad fishing, he broke he pole which he had owned since he was 7, he was 71 at the time. He was so bummed but I found one just like it on ebay last year and grabbed it, gonna take him out soon for its first cast.

I love fishing! Went out with my son yesterday, we got 21 bass, no giants but still a ton of fun. I have recently restored a 1989 Hydrasport x270 with a Johnson vro 140 and a minnkota terrova trolling motor. I also run a monthly tournament here in central Florida. I use a combo of both spinning and bait casters. My favorites are ny quantum exo pt 200 reels on my duckett rods. I also have several skeet reese victory 3000 spinning reels and skeet reese rods.
There is a large, deep pond just 300 yards or so away from me that is off limits to the general public. The city police use it for diver training. But a friend of mine took me in there one night to show me what happens to a pond that isn't fished, that is loaded with fish. The first cast he got a big strike, but he missed it. The second cast he pulled in a bass bigger than the ones you shared there. He was pretty certain there are bass in there rivaling the state record, and my cousin's hubby at that time said the divers that have been in there say the same thing.

I'm loading up my kayak tomorrow and heading to Owyhee Reservoir in Oregon on Tuesday. I live in Idaho but Owyhee is my favorite place to fish.

There is a large, deep pond just 300 yards or so away from me that is off limits to the general public. The city police use it for diver training. But a friend of mine took me in there one night to show me what happens to a pond that isn't fished, that is loaded with fish. The first cast he got a big strike, but he missed it. The second cast he pulled in a bass bigger than the ones you shared there. He was pretty certain there are bass in there rivaling the state record, and my cousin's hubby at that time said the divers that have been in there say the same thing.
Unfished bass water are easy pickings. If you caught a fish on every cast, you would probably get bored. Sounds crazy right? I did, too, until it happened to me this one time. I was at a spot I've fished at before, but on this one particular day, I hooked up on nearly every casts. I was using a Texas rigged rubber worm, and it was simply cast, worked it for about 30 seconds, then BAM! It felt awesome for the first 30 minutes, then it actually became kinda boring. Too easy.
Then there are many days where I'm just hoping to get a single stupid bite. It is this long stretch of nothing, that you get that big adrenal rush when the line goes taut and that rod bends and tugs!
I haven't wet a hook since having my shoulder bolted back together in '09. But I still have all my fly fishing gear, and fly tying stuff, so maybe one of these days I'll get back into it.
Sorry, I've mistaken you with @NCNitro I remembered someone posting pictures of some nice largemouths. Must have been Mr. Nitro.

Unfished bass water are easy pickings. If you caught a fish on every cast, you would probably get bored. Sounds crazy right? I did, too, until it happened to me this one time. I was at a spot I've fished at before, but on this one particular day, I hooked up on nearly every casts. I was using a Texas rigged rubber worm, and it was simply cast, worked it for about 30 seconds, then BAM! It felt awesome for the first 30 minutes, then it actually became kinda boring. Too easy.
Then there are many days where I'm just hoping to get a single stupid bite. It is this long stretch of nothing, that you get that big adrenal rush when the line goes taut and that rod bends and tugs!

Sorry, I've mistaken you with @NCNitro I remembered someone posting pictures of some nice largemouths. Must have been Mr. Nitro.
Yeah, that is so true. One of my friends has a mother-in-law with a stocked pond right out the back door of their mansion. We went fishing there one time and caught the biggest striped bass I have ever seen. And they had hybrid Bluegills that were pushing, believe it or not, 12" long. My mother caught 8 of them, and all of them were at least 11". I have a pic somewhere. Will see if I can find it.

Back