First Toy Advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchiezzz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I've done some peekin around and found a few i like. But how are they really.........
ARRMA RC
Arrma Kraton 1/5 8S BLX Brushless 4WD Monster Truck
Arrma Outcast 1/5 8S BLX Brushless 4WD Stunt Truck
Arrma Outcast 1/8 6S BLX Brushless Extreme Bash 4WD Stunt Truck
Arrma Kraton 1/5 EXB EXtreme Bash Roller Speed 4WD Monster Truck
Arrma Kraton 1/8 6S BLX 4WD Brushless Monster Truck

TRAXXAS RC
Traxxas X-Maxx 1/6 8S 4WD Monster Truck
Traxxas Sledge 6S 4WD Electric Monster Truck
Traxxas E-Revo 2 VXL 6S Monster Truck
Traxxas Maxx WideMaxx 1/10 Brushless WD Monster Truck
Traxxas Maxx 4S Brushless 4x4 Monster Truck

I can't comment about most of these because I don't have any experience with many of them. But we do have two Arrma's and I am currently building an X-Maxx.

The Kraton 6S BLX is a beast. It weighs like 26lb, and is an absolute rocket. Something about that much weight being moved around at 70mph with a simple remote control puts a huge smile on my face. One of my favorites to drive for sure. And it is a durable truck for sure. Gravel that any smaller RC's would consider boulders to run over is turned into canon fodder by the Kraton, so stay clear of the area behind the Kraton when entering such terrain. I can only imagine how that would be with the 8S. Speaking of the 8S, if you buy the EXB, you have to supply your own electronics. Are you ok with putting all that together?

As for Traxxas, they make great stuff as well. A bit more plasticy, but that often equates to cheaper replacement parts, and more durability due to more flexibility.

If I had the funds to buy any of those, I would buy the Kraton 1/5 EXB, and a Castle XLX2 ESC with 1100KV motor and a Savox servo with a Flysky GT3 radio system. The reason I would lean that way is because with any RTR, the electronics are the weak link usually. So why pay for inferior electronics if you can afford to build a better version of an RC yourself?

But seriously - any of those RC's listed should make your avatar look like this...
healthy-happy-baby-edited.jpg

Last edited:
I can't comment about most of these because I don't have any experience with many of them. But we do have two Arrma's and I am current building an X-Maxx.

The Kraton 6S BLX is a beast. It weighs like 26lb, and is an absolute rocket. Something about that much weight being moved around at 70mph with a simple remote control puts a huge smile on my face. One of my favorites to drive for sure. And it is a durable truck for sure. Gravel that any smaller RC's would consider boulders to run over is turned into canon fodder by the Kraton, so stay clear of the area behind the Kraton when entering such terrain. I can only imagine how that would be with the 8S. Speaking of the 8S, if you buy the EXB, you have to supply your own electronics. Are you ok with putting all that together?

As for Traxxas, they make great stuff as well. A bit more plasticy, but that often equates to cheaper replacement parts, and more durability due to more flexibility.

If I had the funds to buy any of those, I would buy the Kraton 1/5 EXB, and a Castle XLX2 ESC with 1100KV motor and a Savox servo with a Flysky GT3 radio system. The reason I would lean that way is because with any RTR, the electronics are the weak link usually. So why pay for inferior electronics if you can afford to build a better version of an RC yourself?

But seriously - any of those RC's listed should make your avatar look like this...

I dont mind having to put in some extra money and elbow grease for great fun. I was originally gonna do the Traxxas Max and add the wide kit and a bunch of other aftermarket parts. Covid hit and I changed priorities. Now i come back and Traxxas sells a widemax now. Id still rather build it myself though.
I defiantly want something i can give hell and take anywhere. i wont jump it 40-66-ft like i see on youtube but glad they can take it.

I dont mind having to put in some extra money and elbow grease for great fun. I was originally gonna do the Traxxas Max and add the wide kit and a bunch of other aftermarket parts. Covid hit and I changed priorities. Now i come back and Traxxas sells a widemax now. Id still rather build it myself though.
I defiantly want something i can give hell and take anywhere. i wont jump it 40-66-ft like i see on youtube but glad they can take it.
Sounds like you got your priorities in order then. One thing I can comment on is if I had my choice in RTR, just based on electronics, I'd rather have Arrma. The Spektrum electronics are far batter than most Traxxas electronics. Especially the servos ;)

And I am the same. I prefer to build my RC's. Buying a good RTR is still a good way to go though. Just make sure you go through the RC before ripping it around. Most come with screws loose, little to no grease in the diff housing, diffs and shocks with very little fluid in them, etc. Definitely check the pinion set screw for Loctite, gear mesh, and gear alignment.

One bonus to RTR is most come with a warranty, and Traxxas and Arrma (Horizon Hobby) are really good with after sales support.

Wickedfog pretty much summed it all up! :thumbs-up: Great advice and I agree with it all. The Kraton 6s is what you want, either roller or the BLX. Only get the 8s 1/5 if you have the room. They are big and need space to stretch their legs.

I'm a die hard Arrma fan. I have 4 of them (Typhon 6s, Notorious 6s, Senton 3s, Mega Infraction turned 4s). The Kraton 6s and the Mojave are on my list to get soon! (Early Christmas present for daddy?) 🤔😂

Not a Traxxas hater. I have 2 of them, but after wrenching and running those vs Arrma, I'll take Arrma all day!

One think I disagree with is Arrma stock servos suck too!! 😂 I replace mine in every rig I get, regardless of brand!!

If you are considering an Arrma, check out the Arrma Forum for advice, ideas, etc.

Good luck and happy bashing! O, and better make an RC budget cuz it'll get out of hand fast! 😁✌️

One think I disagree with is Arrma stock servos suck too!! 😂 I replace mine in every rig I get, regardless of brand!!
Yeah, now that I read that back, I should have added to my statement about the servos. Spektrum servos are still crap, for sure. But the Traxxas servos I have had experience with have all gone straight to the garbage can. I still have a couple Spektrum servos that are "functional" 😉

Last edited:
Lmao 🤣 I prefer to build I can’t lol
Store bought buddy get ur poop right

Oh, and since you are looking for your first RC @Munchiezzz - you're going to need a charger and some electricity storage devices. I highly recommend you stay away from anything "Smart" in this area. Buying into a proprietary system like those is just nonsense. Get yourself a Hota D6 Pro and some SMC, CNHL, or Liperior batteries to suit, and you'll be fairly future proof as far as the charger goes. You can find LiPo's a tad cheaper elsewhere, but you get your money's worth out of these brands.

We often see people here that want a cheap charger to start with, then quickly find they've made a mistake.

Oh, and since you are looking for your first RC @Munchiezzz - you're going to need a charger and some electricity storage devices. I highly recommend you stay away from anything "Smart" in this area. Buying into a proprietary system like those is just nonsense. Get yourself a Hota D6 Pro and some SMC, CNHL, or Liperior batteries to suit, and you'll be fairly future proof as far as the charger goes. You can find LiPo's a tad cheaper elsewhere, but you get your money's worth out of these brands.

We often see people here that want a cheap charger to start with, then quickly find they've made a mistake.
Then sell me a good charger I run CNHL

Wickedfog pretty much summed it all up! :thumbs-up: Great advice and I agree with it all. The Kraton 6s is what you want, either roller or the BLX. Only get the 8s 1/5 if you have the room. They are big and need space to stretch their legs.

I'm a die hard Arrma fan. I have 4 of them (Typhon 6s, Notorious 6s, Senton 3s, Mega Infraction turned 4s). The Kraton 6s and the Mojave are on my list to get soon! (Early Christmas present for daddy?) 🤔😂

Not a Traxxas hater. I have 2 of them, but after wrenching and running those vs Arrma, I'll take Arrma all day!

If you are considering an Arrma, check out the Arrma Forum for advice, ideas, etc.

Good luck and happy bashing! O, and better make an RC budget cuz it'll get out of hand fast! 😁✌️
how is arrma for aftermarket and upgrade parts

Not terrible. But most things that will break on them you can buy better aftermarket, like driveshafts, c-hubs, etc. If you really wanna get crazy... look at M2C upgrades.
received_195436812612814.jpeg

received_538512914060415.jpeg

That’s cool but where is the custom builds??

Now now @Munchiezzz , you just won't be satisfied unless you buy them all.
Only thing I can say is, the Xmaxx fuels the addiction.
thumbs up.png

I agree buy what you can afford and then build it way you want it
Honestly look up stuff and what ur going to use it for street race or off road. That’s binning part me I just build as they come I have no clue what’s going to happen the next day. Good thing I know fab work ect.

That’s cool but where is the custom builds??
20220822_102911.jpg

Not really custom but this one's a Felony. Just some different tires and a junkyard body.

I've done some peekin around and found a few i like. But how are they really.........
ARRMA RC
Arrma Kraton 1/5 8S BLX Brushless 4WD Monster Truck
Arrma Outcast 1/5 8S BLX Brushless 4WD Stunt Truck
Arrma Outcast 1/8 6S BLX Brushless Extreme Bash 4WD Stunt Truck
Arrma Kraton 1/5 EXB EXtreme Bash Roller Speed 4WD Monster Truck
Arrma Kraton 1/8 6S BLX 4WD Brushless Monster Truck

TRAXXAS RC
Traxxas X-Maxx 1/6 8S 4WD Monster Truck
Traxxas Sledge 6S 4WD Electric Monster Truck
Traxxas E-Revo 2 VXL 6S Monster Truck
Traxxas Maxx WideMaxx 1/10 Brushless WD Monster Truck
Traxxas Maxx 4S Brushless 4x4 Monster Truck
Do yourself a favor and get 2wd Traxxas slash brushed. That is the best rc for beginners. Learn how to control it, throttle control, how to diagnose a problem when you break it and how to fix it. In my opinion best rc is 10 scale, 8 and 6 scale are also fun but dangerous.

Second option is Traxxas rally. Buy it brushed, it's ridiculous slow, but as soon you learn about rc cars swap hobbywing max 10 sct combo and it will be a ripper. If you drive more pavement and less off-road it's an amazing platform
Or probably the best option at this moment is scratch and dent sale at tower hobbies. They have arrma senton mega for only 149$. I believe that it comes with nimh battery and trickle charger but I would strongly suggest buying spectrum lipo battery and ac charger

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and get 2wd Traxxas slash brushed. That is the best rc for beginners. Learn how to control it, throttle control, how to diagnose a problem when you break it and how to fix it. In my opinion best rc is 10 scale, 8 and 6 scale are also fun but dangerous.

Second option is Traxxas rally. Buy it brushed, it's ridiculous slow, but as soon you learn about rc cars swap hobbywing max 10 sct combo and it will be a ripper. If you drive more pavement and less off-road it's an amazing platform
Or probably the best option at this moment is scratch and dent sale at tower hobbies. They have arrma senton mega for only 149$. I believe that it comes with nimh battery and trickle charger but I would strongly suggest buying spectrum lipo battery and ac charger
+1 on what I bolded red. Regards. 'AC'

LHS typically don't carry alot (they carry a lot of Traxxas parts.....cuz they break more often? 🤔🤷‍♂️.) Online def good. Like Said above, good upgraded replacement parts. Part numbers are typically easy to locate. Jennysrc has excellent prices on parts. I have not had any issues locating a part. :thumbs-up:

Back