First timer with some questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_gage

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

Picked up a newer traxxas T-maxx today for 50 bucks minus the radio. It is ragged out and needs some TLC.

At present I have it on my bench and torn down to clean the grime off. The engine does have compression and during movement, it appears as though it had oil in the cylinder. Hoping that it is salvageable, but I figured for what I bought it for, I will still be okay with a new motor.

My first question is a radio. I want something simple and easy. If I continue in this hobby, I will upgrade down the road. Is there any way to get a replacement radio without having to switch out the receiver?

Second, since I have a parts list going, any recommendations for upgrades at this point while I have it all apart?

This is my first RC. No experience to this point. I am mechanically inclined and have already read the manual and understand the basics of tuning. Nothing to dramatic there.

Appreciate the answers in advance!

Depends on what receiver you have. Regardless, you can probably pick up a cheap stock transmitter/receiver off ebay. If it has reverse, you need a 3-channel. Or, you can get a forward only conversion to remove reverse (which many people do as it makes the trans stronger/more durable and removes weight).

After you get that sorted, depending on your steering, better servo will help you there. I think the current t-maxx's have a servo saver built into the steering vs one that bolts on the the servo. The servo mounted ones stink.

RPM arms will help with durability as well. Get a spare set of front and rear bulkheads, a shock tower or two, spare spurs, extra spur friction pegs to fill all the holes vs half that it comes with. Personally, if you end up needing to replace the engine, just go with a trx 3.3, don't even bother with the 2.5/2.5R.

Thanks for the info. If I am not mistaken, it already is a 3.3.

I believe traxxas still has an upgrade program/trade in program. So if you find your engine is beyond saving, you may find that to be an economical option.
@olds97_lss has given you good info to go by as far as how to go about your resto. Certainly feel free to hit us with any questions... there are no stupid questions, just stupid mistakes! ;)
Welcome to RCNT !!!
:welcome_sign:

Back