First rc Slash bl2s update and my journey to monster wide slash

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocoune

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I bought my first rc maybe a month ago, a slash bl2s. I said ill do an update so there it is. I will also document my journey into upgrading to a monster wide slash.

Its alot of fun. I'm good with 2 s now and one battery only. Its a genz bashing 5200 mah 35 c. Changing the motor and esc will probably be one of the last upgrades i do.

I mostly run on dirt, rocks, grass and try to go easy on asphalt. Did some speed runs here and there.

What i changed and broke so far is the front shock tower (rpm), caster blocks (rpm), pins, springs, front skid plates, bearings, i vented the tires (after i fiddlesticked the foam in rear tho), i bought tools and front rpm wider arms. I also found a sweet spot for counter weight (just in front of rear axle). I dont have it right now but i plan to put it back. I have pretty stiff springs in the back and soft in the front with no preload. The shocks are close to the wheel in front and close to the chassis in the rear. I put a 90 spure gear instead of stock 83 just because.. i already have 14 pinion for bigger wheels but ill buy a temp gun just to make sure i dont break electronics.

I want to buy 40 shock oil to see what it does and try longer shocks for more travel and ride height. Maybe upgrading the servo but i need your help for this one lol

What I'm doing right now is changing the arms so its wider. Ill need to trim the body and find a way to rise it but keep the clipless system because i want to buy badlands 2.8 tires (the narrower ones). I will put dry wall tape and shoogoo to protect the body. Its already beat up.

Ill keep updatiing :p thanks
1000002478.jpg
1000002347.jpg
1000002349.jpg
1000002348.jpg
1000002227.jpg

Man, I really want to convert over to the clipless system on my slash. I need to take that thing out and fix it up, I love the platform. I can run downstairs and see what Savox servo I'm running in my 4x4 vxl, it's not the fastest on the market but Savox makes a good product. If you want more suspension travel you can run rears in the front - I'm not aware of any "long travel" setups that are super easy plug and plays for these things.

If you're feeling like spending a pretty penny you could always do the Proline Powerstrokes - it's a bit overkill but they're pretty sick.

Man, I really want to convert over to the clipless system on my slash. I need to take that thing out and fix it up, I love the platform. I can run downstairs and see what Savox servo I'm running in my 4x4 vxl, it's not the fastest on the market but Savox makes a good product. If you want more suspension travel you can run rears in the front - I'm not aware of any "long travel" setups that are super easy plug and plays for these things.

If you're feeling like spending a pretty penny you could always do the Proline Powerstrokes - it's a bit overkill but they're pretty sick.
I think its pretty easy and cheap to convert it with clipless. Clipless is all i know but I'm sold. Its super cool and user friendly. Id say go for it. I have to find a way to rise it but I'm pretty sure traaxas will sell a clipless kit for that soon.

I dont see any big problem with the servo now but it would be fun if its a little quicker and stronger, ill check savox. Anyway i found that driving style is really important. Some set up has bigger roll but you just neet to adjust. And to be honest i rolled a few times (of course) and most of the time its really smooths and doesn't seem to have the potential of breaking something. I prefer that over hit a curb lol

I think rear shocks in front is a good idea and maybe i could check the 1/8 traaxas for the rear. I'm planning to stay plastic right now. I dont really see how pricier shocks would upgrade performances and i want to invest that money in other things. Thats why i chosed to trim the body instead of buying a new one and i like the protection that short course body gives me.

My servo broke from just driving on gravel roads and I got a stone stuck under the chassis and servo arm - caused the servo gears to strip out.

As far as the stock shocks I would just get the TiN shafts, a set of 4 rears. A couple rear springs, and then order the aluminum shock caps and you'd be pretty set. I have a small fortune in the amount of stock shock struts I've broken and replaced. This is the best bang for your buck in the reliability department.

And the clipless swap is easy and cheap, but idk I want to run other bodies than the traxxas stuff for my slash it's really the only reason I haven't done it. Plus I've kind of become obsessed with Nitro. I'm half tempted to fix mine up or sell it for parts and replace it with a nitro slash.

Traxxas 2656T for the TiN shock shafts
Traxxas 3767 For Aluminum Shock Caps

Springs go with whatever floats your boat. If you're gonna be jumping a lot you might want to jump up in Shock oil weight. I run 40 in my slash but I'd still like a bit more, the 4x4 is also a fair bit heavier though.

My servo broke from just driving on gravel roads and I got a stone stuck under the chassis and servo arm - caused the servo gears to strip out.

As far as the stock shocks I would just get the TiN shafts, a set of 4 rears. A couple rear springs, and then order the aluminum shock caps and you'd be pretty set. I have a small fortune in the amount of stock shock struts I've broken and replaced. This is the best bang for your buck in the reliability department.

And the clipless swap is easy and cheap, but idk I want to run other bodies than the traxxas stuff for my slash it's really the only reason I haven't done it. Plus I've kind of become obsessed with Nitro. I'm half tempted to fix mine up or sell it for parts and replace it with a nitro slash.

Traxxas 2656T for the TiN shock shafts
Traxxas 3767 For Aluminum Shock Caps

Springs go with whatever floats your boat. If you're gonna be jumping a lot you might want to jump up in Shock oil weight. I run 40 in my slash but I'd still like a bit more, the 4x4 is also a fair bit heavier though.
Hope that i dont break my servo lol las time i tought i fiddlesticked something bad because rear right was doing a big grinding sound. Turns out It was a rock stuck in the arm and the driveshaft was rubbing.

The hobbyshop owner told me the shocks can strip one time but more than that its done. Allu shock caps are cheap too. And thanks ill consider shock shaft if i stay stock.

I already have 3 differents springs. I dont jump alot. I like pump tracks but i try to land clean. I feel that the suspension go down fast but i didnt find the right spot with the spring rates and preload yet. I like to add weight too so 40 oil may be better. But like the hobbyshop owner said if i dont like it i can't put the 30 back. I need to keep that in mine.

Yea maybe if you want to put othe bodies its better to stay with clips. I like the screw desing tho

Ok i just put the wide front arms. I have rustler longer toe and camber links. I had to adjust it a bit but it was easy. Pretty sure i need stiffer springs because of the levrage but i wont need to trim the body as much as i thought.

I ran it for a few mins in my yard without the body. I feel like longer arms upgraded drastically the offroad capabilities.

I want to do the same in the rear but it looks perfect like this.

Oops i have positive camber in the rear need to correct that
1000002482.jpg
1000002481.jpg
1000002480.jpg
1000002479.jpg

Update : i lifted the body with pvc pipes and 30 mm screws. Its super easy and work great. Looks solid. Its not perfect but i wanted to ride lol.

For now its way to high but i think it would be perfect with badland 2.8. Tonight i will put it down a bit.

I did a pack on it and it runs amazing. The way the suspension work with wider arms is really cool. Didnt find the sweet spot yet but its so much fun.

Oh and i understood something about servo speed vs sensitivity. I heard alot about the not so good traaxas servo. Maybe i dont know. I'm a noob and its seems fine to me. Its a bit slow BUT, i feel the sensitivity is good. I dont feel any delay between the radio and servo.
1000002502.jpg
1000002501.jpg
1000002500.jpg
1000002500.jpg
1000002499.jpg
1000002498.jpg

Last edited:
Ok i just put the wide front arms. I have rustler longer toe and camber links. I had to adjust it a bit but it was easy. Pretty sure i need stiffer springs because of the levrage but i wont need to trim the body as much as i thought.

I ran it for a few mins in my yard without the body. I feel like longer arms upgraded drastically the offroad capabilities.

I want to do the same in the rear but it looks perfect like this.

Oops i have positive camber in the rear need to correct that
View attachment 190806View attachment 190807View attachment 190808View attachment 190809

Update : i lifted the body with pvc pipes and 30 mm screws. Its super easy and work great. Looks solid. Its not perfect but i wanted to ride lol.

For now its way to high but i think it would be perfect with badland 2.8. Tonight i will put it down a bit.

I did a pack on it and it runs amazing. The way the suspension work with wider arms is really cool. Didnt find the sweet spot yet but its so much fun.

Oh and i understood something about servo speed vs sensitivity. I heard alot about the not so good traaxas servo. Maybe i dont know. I'm a noob and its seems fine to me. Its a bit slow BUT, i feel the sensitivity is good. I dont feel any delay between the radio and servo.
View attachment 191078View attachment 191079View attachment 191080View attachment 191081View attachment 191082View attachment 191083
Hey !!
I put the rear wide arm the last weekend. The only downside is that i used to put the shocks near the chassis and those holes dont exist on the rpm arm. But thats not a big deal.

I really want to have more travel tho. The first thing in mind is longer shocks. In the front i need to make sure the toe link does not rub on the skid plate and on the back i need to watch to not strech the driveshaft to much. Its already streched because of the wide stance. Maybe i can put rear slash shocks in front and try to lower the mounting on the rear shock tower by making new holes or buying another tower.

So far the handling is nice. The longer arms works really well. I'm close to a sweet spot with the suspension and have more understanding. I feel that whatever my suspension settings, balqnce between the rear and the front is the key. Ill try to play with pistons and maybe oil weight.

Next thing after the ride height will be the bigger tires but I'm scare ill want 3s fast because of the speed lol

I can anwser more detailed questions about the upgrades done.

Have a good day !
1000002540.jpg
1000002539.jpg
1000002538-jpg.191358
1000002537.jpg

1000002538.jpg

Back