First rc plane

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruffy91

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So here you go guys you props hear this all the time... I've been using rc cars cars a while now. But I've moved house and luckily enough I have a wide open green space next too my house with no airel obstructions. So am wanting to take things from the ground too the sky!
Am looking for a good quality investment rc plane that is forgiving to a beginner rc pilot. One that could take a few bangs here and there (grass landings always). But something that would not just get put into a box as soon as I outgrow it. Looking at a few they just look a lot like up down left right sort of jobs with no real "fun" factor. I like my thrills and spills! But also if it does take a hit I don't want it to just shatter into a zillion bits. So I thought before I purchase something with hard earned money I'd consult the experts on what they had too say? Anyone possibly help me out. I love my world war era look if that helps? But not essential that's just what I like in terms of design but is not super important

Thanks guys!

Start here, I highly recommend it.

realflight.jpg

My first was the Carbon Cub s2. Awesome, easy plane to fly. It is in the Realflight 9 but not sure about the 9.5

I always thought if I ever decided to give flying a go I would start with a pusher prop style glider. Should be easy to control, can belly land it in the grass and the prop is protected a little better than being on the nose.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/easy-trainer-1280-v2-rtf/FMM051R2.html
I have to agree with Wolf. For beginners, a pusher prop would be the best choice. I would recommend the Aeroscout 1.1 rtf, but they've gone up from $200 to now $230. It would still be a good buy at $230, but at that price, the FMS is hard to beat.
The Aeroscout comes with a hobby grade DXS controller, while the FMS controller is nearly toy grade. The Aeroscout is also a much better quality build, but if you crash hard enough it will still sustain damages. Ask me how I know 🙄 Also, the Aeroscout's landing gear can easily be removed for belly landing or swapped out for aftermarket skis for snow landing.
I just found the same FMS on Amazon for less than $150 shipped. I'm actually kinda tempted to buy this one myself.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F57QDYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_7WKC8PCYF3PV7D08FVTW

I have to agree with Wolf. For beginners, a pusher prop would be the best choice. I would recommend the Aeroscout 1.1 rtf, but they've gone up from $200 to now $230. It would still be a good buy at $230, but at that price, the FMS is hard to beat.
The Aeroscout comes with a hobby grade DXS controller, while the FMS controller is nearly toy grade. The Aeroscout is also a much better quality build, but if you crash hard enough it will still sustain damages. Ask me how I know 🙄 Also, the Aeroscout's landing gear can easily be removed for belly landing or swapped out for aftermarket skis for snow landing.
I just found the same FMS on Amazon for less than $150 shipped. I'm actually kinda tempted to buy this one myself.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F57QDYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_7WKC8PCYF3PV7D08FVTW
I just realized that the cheaper Amazon version is a pnp. Which means it will need radio, receiver, batteries, and charger.
So, unless you already have all this stuff, the link posted by @Greywolf74 is the better deal.

*This is not a plane. Nor is it prob what ur looking for. But honestly I've had more fun, esp while learning, with my little Snaptain5SC. Its a quad drone. Really cheap. 1080p camera. Does video. Controller is toy feel. May can use a diff radio. Not sure. I've had it for 3 years now. Only bought extra batteries. And just crashed from 3rd story parking garage couple days ago and flipped her over reset it and took back off.

But it is more of a toyish but super fun little quad.

Neg- way to light weight!

Attachments

• 20210812_180534~2.jpg
    20210812_180534~2.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 43
*This is not a plane. Nor is it prob what ur looking for. But honestly I've had more fun, esp while learning, with my little Snaptain5SC. Its a quad drone. Really cheap. 1080p camera. Does video. Controller is toy feel. May can use a diff radio. Not sure. I've had it for 3 years now. Only bought extra batteries. And just crashed from 3rd story parking garage couple days ago and flipped her over reset it and took back off.

But it is more of a toyish but super fun little quad.

Neg- way to light weight!
Quadcopter flying is a completely different experience from airplane flying. With a quadcopter, you could simply hover in one spot, regroup your thoughts and strategies, then carry on and proceed. Not so much with planes. You have to constantly be focused on your craft, which needs to be constantly traveling at a rather high speed to maintain lift.

Back