Exhaust slipping off...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanson357

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Howdy folks, I'm hoping someone may have a tip for my issue, the coupler that holds the exhaust to the manifold keeps slipping off. I've cranked down on the zip ties with pliers and it still just slides off after some running. No problem where the muffler connects to the coupler, only the coupler to the manifold.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

A tiny dab of 3M trim adheisive at (where the 2 meet) the joint will help. Just a dab on/around the manifold, then slip the muffler over it, then apply your zip tie. Let dry.

Is the end of your muffler, (near the exhaust exit) is there something holding it? Even if the joint were dry, my cars all have something holding the muffler, not allowing it to move anywhere, allowing it to move off the manifold.......

Thanks Dave,
Yes, I do have a piece of piano wire I rigged holding the exhaust in place. Maybe I need to bend it a little more to hold the pipe in place. The 3M trim adhesive you mentioned, I'm guessing I can pick that up in a parts store?
Thanks again!

Yep.....any autoparts store. Comes in handy for a host of other stuff as well.

You might want to graduate from "Piano" wire on that muffler to a hunk of stratigically bent coat hanger, bolted to the chassis and then to the end of the resonator. If you make a loop on either end with needle-nosed pliars, it works nicely.

I have the feeling that your wire is too thin and allowing the resonator to move away from the connector, causing your problem.

There is a simple fix, just flare the end of the header out a little bit. Stick something like a screw driver in the header where the coupler attaches and simply roll the screwdriver around the inside edges flaring the end of the header, your coupler won't fall off again.

Yep. Do what NC said. Depending on the pipe, a piece of 5/16" round bar or 1/4" for 1/10 pipes works well. The 5/16" round bar gives for a smoother flare. I use the 1/4" round bar to do it to the stinger on the 1/8 scale exhausts so I can use an exhaust deflector without having it fall off every 10 feet of bashing.

There is a simple fix, just flare the end of the header out a little bit. Stick something like a screw driver in the header where the coupler attaches and simply roll the screwdriver around the inside edges flaring the end of the header, your coupler won't fall off again.

AHHH he beat me to it....

Yep.....any autoparts store. Comes in handy for a host of other stuff as well.

You might want to graduate from "Piano" wire on that muffler to a hunk of stratigically bent coat hanger, bolted to the chassis and then to the end of the resonator. If you make a loop on either end with needle-nosed pliars, it works nicely.

I have the feeling that your wire is too thin and allowing the resonator to move away from the connector, causing your problem.

If you do get wire its a good idea to run it in fuel tubing where it holds the muffer (if it goes around it)

why do you recommend sliding fuel line over the wire....just wondering?

No idea on the fuel tubing thing. Everyone mentioned good ideas, they work. Nobody mentioned the first thing you should do. Clean the header with a good degreaser, same for the coupler. Flare it a bit. A good spring steel exhaust hanger is a must have IMO. Coat hangers are too flimsy for most applications.

why do you recommend sliding fuel line over the wire....just wondering?

I do it for a few reasons. If the metal wire is touching the pipe directly:
1 it will cause wear on the pipe due to vibration
2 it may cause radio interference due to metal/metal contact with vibration
3 easier to get the hoop to fit snug with fuel line taking up the slack of an imperfect bend hoop.

I just put a hanger on my savage recently to try and keep the header from rubbing the chassis by the engine and to help keep the header gasket from wearing so quick:
2009-1223-SavagePipeHanger.jpg

Should have used something besides orange...

I see now, I was thinking of fuel line on the pipe hanger wire. That extra support is a good idea for a Savage.