Esc kv limit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah i probably would do that if they didn’t come back to me but they did and they said it was a typo and they changed the max voltage of the Tp 3650 3080kv to 19 volts so 4s. So i think i will probably go with the 3650 3080kv because according to a speed calculator on the same gearing the 3650 3080kv is about 10kmh faster than the 3650 3840kv on 4s and it will have more torque because it is on 4s so more bashing and better speed running potential.
I'm assuming you meant to say the the 3080 is faster on 4S than the 3840 on 3S with the same gearing? If thats the case go that route then cuz the lower KV motor will be more appropriate for bashing too.

Also i calculated the max watts (According to my calculations Tps max watts are wayyyy of by 1000 to 1500 watts if their max amps are right but i can’t be bothered to chase it up with them because it ain’t gonna change anything.)
and it should have around 500 watts more power on 4s than the Tp 3650 3840kv on 3s. Also does more watts equal more torque or more horsepower?
More wattage does typically mean more torque and horsepower than a lower wattage motor if all else is equal. It also means more amp draw and more heat but you can compensate for that with gearing.

well it is because i plan to put it in this RC car that comes with a 550 sized brushed motor so i assumed i can’t go any more in width.
Just because its designed to hold a 1/10 scale motor doesn't mean you can't put a 1/8 scale motor in it with some modification. Thats what I did to my 100+MPH Rustler in order to get it to break 100MPH. I'm not saying all kits can be modded in this way but a fair number can. That of course is entirely up to you though. The bigger scale motor would be better for speed runs but depending on what kit it is may not be good for bashing purposes.

plus i am going to run a sensorless system (because i don’t think the TP 3650 3080kv is sensored) i don’t want any start up hesitation so it is about the biggest motor you can get with probably no to hardly any start up hesitation because i am pretty sure the wider the can the more start up hesitation you have. (also weight is starting to become a problem so i don’t really want a heavier motor)
Its not so much hesitation you get at very slow speeds with sensorless, its more like jerkiness. Its not that big of a deal though although the sensored motors are buttery smooth at very slow speeds. To me its one of those things where sensored is nice to have if you can have it in the kit you're trying to build but isnt a deal breaker if you're trying to use some specialty motor that only comes sensorless.
It would be nice having data logging features and there is a few other really good features that isn’t on the mm2 and it fits the budget and i would imagine it will be able to handle more amps so less heat and more life and more motor performance.
If you can swing it, its definitely got more options. With a 1/10 scale motor I'm pretty sure Amp draw wouldnt be a problem for either ESC. :)
also would any one be able to recommend a good big-ass high voltage fan that would be good with the Tp 3650 3080kv that could plug right in to my spektrum receiver😀
Look at the rocket brand high rpm fans. They come is a bunch of different sizes from 30mm up to at least 50mm. Any motor heatsink/fan mount for a 1/10 scale should work just make sure you get a fan(s) that are the same size as the mounting holes on the heatsink.

well it is because i plan to put it in this RC car that comes with a 550 sized brushed motor so i assumed i can’t go any more in width. plus i am going to run a sensorless system (because i don’t think the TP 3650 3080kv is sensored) i don’t want any start up hesitation so it is about the biggest motor you can get with probably no to hardly any start up hesitation because i am pretty sure the wider the can the more start up hesitation you have. (also weight is starting to become a problem so i don’t really want a heavier motor)
I am guessing you might be ashamed of the model you are planning to run. I was able to run a TP4050 in the little Traxxas 4tec 2.0, so you may be shocked what will fit!
Just let us know.... We can give you much better advice once we know what it is. I can also give you a better understanding (saving you money) of what it would take to get that car to 100mph.

For reference I highly recommend getting a 4wd model versus 2wd. Imagine going 100mph and only being able to stop your car with the rear tires. @Greywolf74 can attest that it is tricky to slow down at those speeds without locking up the rear tires and crashing.

I had a slash 2wd and later converted to always running 4wd cars.

Funny picture of my Son's slash 2wd monster truck with a 1/5 scale TP5670 sitting on it:
2wd 56xx Capture.JPG

I am guessing you might be ashamed of the model you are planning to run. I was able to run a TP4050 in the little Traxxas 4tec 2.0, so you may be shocked what will fit!
Just let us know.... We can give you much better advice once we know what it is. I can also give you a better understanding (saving you money) of what it would take to get that car to 100mph.

For reference I highly recommend getting a 4wd model versus 2wd. Imagine going 100mph and only being able to stop your car with the rear tires. @Greywolf74 can attest that it is tricky to slow down at those speeds without locking up the rear tires and crashing.

I had a slash 2wd and later converted to always running 4wd cars.

Funny picture of my Son's slash 2wd monster truck with a 1/5 scale TP5670 sitting on it:
View attachment 129922
That pic is epic! :celebrate:

and yes, slowing down from 118MPH is tricky to say the least. Gotta use a lot of light drag break and space until it slows down enough to actually start applying the brake. can't tell you how many of my wrecks were from braking not going fast.

ok well i think i am going to use a Losi 22s SCT because it is cheapish, great suspension, good basher, easily modified, VERY STRONG and there is a few other nice features about it as well like it is very beefed up around the parts that are going to be dealing with this power. stuff like that. And yes i know its 2wd and its going to be harder to stop but i will get avc or turn up the drag brakes to full or something like that and there is also a lot of benefits to a 2wd to a 4wd. So Do you guys think a 40mm wide motor will fit in it?

PRETTY NOICE PIC AS WELL

ok well i think i am going to use a Losi 22s SCT because it is cheapish, great suspension, good basher, easily modified, VERY STRONG and there is a few other nice features about it as well like it is very beefed up around the parts that are going to be dealing with this power. stuff like that. And yes i know its 2wd and its going to be harder to stop but i will get avc or turn up the drag brakes to full or something like that and there is also a lot of benefits to a 2wd to a 4wd. So Do you guys think a 40mm wide motor will fit in it?

PRETTY NOICE PIC AS WELL
It would definitely be a lot trickier with that model than a Traxxas. A 40mm can isnt going to do well for bashing in it though. Too much weight in the rear.

Dont go full drag brake go like 20% drag brake and just let the drag brake slow it down initially until it gets to a speed where you can actually apply the brakes. Paint the car orange for highest visibility cuz its gonna look like a tiny spec when its 1/4 mile away from ya.

That's gonna be hard to control with that much power. Even with the mid motor conversion it'll parachute like crazy above 60mph. I think you're in for some challenges. Good luck.

You could run a 40mm motor in there like a TP4040 or 4050. As others mentioned the weight would be a consideration for bashing.

You would need to slam it to the ground and run very stiff springs for speed runs. A buggy body might be better than a full GT body for less aerodynamic challenges that occur with all the surface area catching the air.

Don't forget RTR radios have a range of about 600' tops. You will need range for 1000+ feet to run over 100mph.
The radio Link RC6Gs I have tested beyond 1500'

RadioLink RC6GS v2 Range Test over 1500 ft range!!! R7GF dual antenna receiver Arrma Limitless - YouTube

Speeds over 60 mph on a 2wd SCT is never a great idea. I still highly recommend a 4x4 model for speed uses but that is up to you. About 1.5 years ago I picked up a used Typhon 6s for $240 used on OfferUp. Great deals come up on used RCs some times.

Last edited:
So to sum up...

you would recommend the mamba monster 2 over the mamba x even though for some reason the mamba x is more expensive and can't handle as many amps and is a 1/10 esc. The mamba monster 2 should be able to handle Tp 3630-cm 7000kv 3s fine. And finally you wouldn't recommend the spektrum firma 130amp esc even though it can handle ten more continuous amps then the Mamba monster 2???
Does the fact that the Mamba x and Spektrum 130amp esc are 1/10 scale ESCs and the mamba monster 2 is a 1/8 scale esc?
The momba x is hands down your best choice ....I pulling OVER 150 v on 6s in
Data logging with no temp issues

150 volts wow must be some new battery is this the nuclear waste incapsulated ones? and how did that O get in mamba. a pure vi here .awake a year old thread to add jibe -rash
I assume he meant amps 🤔

One of the biggest things regarding brushless motors and going over 100 mph is torque! The air is pushing hard on the car and the motor needs to power through that with torque. The motor torque is significantly stronger with larger diameter motors. For this reason, anyone going over 100 mph is using 40mm or the 1/5 scale motors (56mm and 58mm). You also increase the torque with longer motors, but I have found diameter seems to produce more torque.

3s is very limiting in regards to power. Also it is worth knowing that higher kv pulls more amps. I know all the top names in speed running and no one runs 7000 kv except for maybe a very light weight on-road car running 2s, or drag cars, which rarely see speeds over 110mph. High KV motors get very hot, very quickly!

A quick note in math for how this all works.
voltage x amps = watts

11.1 v * 300 amps = 3,300 watts
watts / 745.69 = hp

3300 watts / 745.69 = 4.4 hp

If you were to instead run 6s on an Arrma 6s vehicle with an ESC that can output 300+ amps (factory RTR ESCs are generally 100a to 150a)

22.2v * 300 amps = 6,600 watts
6,600 watts / 745.69 = 8.85 hp

I honestly think you should get the MMX8s esc and an Arrma BLX2050kv motor or the new Spektrum 2050kv motor. Having data logs from the MMX8s to help you make well educated decisions on what changes to make to the car will be priceless. Without that data you are simply guessing. MM2 esc does not have data logs by the way. Don't bother with the MMX6s esc as it runs hot and has thermal shutdown kicking in all the time.

One thing I can say is that you can spend a small fortune making a SCT like the Slash 4x4 into a speed car. It is far cheaper to start out with an Arrma 6s vehicle. The other thing worth noting is that short wheelbase cars are very unstable at high speeds. Cars like the typhon and SCT vehicles. Your best money spent for going fast would be something with a longer wheelbase like a Kraton, Talion, Limitless, Infraction....

The Arrma cars have a very solid spring/shock setup, heavy duty double a-arms. Aluminum chassis for reduced flex.
Also differentials are a consideration. Some brands differentials just don't hold the power. Hobao is another solid option for speed use.

Having a dual purpose RC car just does not work. It would have completely different suspension, tires, gearing, aerodynamics. They are best left as two separate RC cars.
You're definitely an educated man. One thing you left out and maybe I didn't read far enough into this thread is making sure the motor can handle the increased RPM at the highet voltages.

eg.: 11.1 X 7700 = 85,470

Most motor rotors and bearings can't handle that high of a RPM.
I'm assuming you meant to say the the 3080 is faster on 4S than the 3840 on 3S with the same gearing? If thats the case go that route then cuz the lower KV motor will be more appropriate for bashing too.

More wattage does typically mean more torque and horsepower than a lower wattage motor if all else is equal. It also means more amp draw and more heat but you can compensate for that with gearing.

Just because its designed to hold a 1/10 scale motor doesn't mean you can't put a 1/8 scale motor in it with some modification. Thats what I did to my 100+MPH Rustler in order to get it to break 100MPH. I'm not saying all kits can be modded in this way but a fair number can. That of course is entirely up to you though. The bigger scale motor would be better for speed runs but depending on what kit it is may not be good for bashing purposes.

Its not so much hesitation you get at very slow speeds with sensorless, its more like jerkiness. Its not that big of a deal though although the sensored motors are buttery smooth at very slow speeds. To me its one of those things where sensored is nice to have if you can have it in the kit you're trying to build but isnt a deal breaker if you're trying to use some specialty motor that only comes sensorless.

If you can swing it, its definitely got more options. With a 1/10 scale motor I'm pretty sure Amp draw wouldnt be a problem for either ESC. :)

Look at the rocket brand high rpm fans. They come is a bunch of different sizes from 30mm up to at least 50mm. Any motor heatsink/fan mount for a 1/10 scale should work just make sure you get a fan(s) that are the same size as the mounting holes on the heatsink.
Checkout Game Changer RC https://www.facebook.com/Game-Changer-RC-105715908388434/

or Power Hobby's Twister series on eBay.

Last edited:
Back