Engine Break-In

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portlaw18

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just wondering is it best to break an engine in the way the manufacturer recommends or the way numerous guides online recommend as both are very different?

Brian.

Heat cycle method is about the best that I have found and what most people use. Get your engine up to 200-215 for about 5 tanks and let it cool in between for about 15 min. You may have to wrap the head with a sock or metal tape to get to these temps because you need to run your engine as rich as possible for these tanks. After 5 tanks you can start leaning it out some to be able to get 1/2 throttle without dying or bogging real bad. Avoid wide open throttle till about tank 7-10 then after that you will be good to go.

I've always followed the manufacturers break in method for my engines that I broke in. I will tell you from experience you need these two things for a successful break in: a temp of over 60 degrees and use a temp gun to see where you're at. Hope this helps, Steve.

like in my engines manual it says to drive it at half throttle without the wheels on the ground for 1st tank then next 2 tanks at half throttle on the ground and from then on its ok :\ that didnt seem sufficient to me so i think i'll go with the heat cycling method instead thanks everyone :D

Brian.

Say WHAT? If you're talking Fahrenheit, you're totally wrong.
You need to be over 200.

Easy there fella,down boy! I think he meant 60* ambient air temp but it didn't come out that way. :)

Heat Cycle is the best IMO also. Following the factory guides are ok for the factory engines,but a higher dollar engine may be compromised going that route.

Unfortunately you can look at 10 different How To posts or sites and probably get at least 6-7 different suggestions for breakin. Myself the heat cycle method works great. I do the typical cycles but continue to run rich for several tanks afterwards before I really start tuning for perfrmance. I made almost 6.5 full gallons out of my Maxx before the engine quit and am on my 3rd gallon for my MGT which is running stronger than ever. Just my .02 cause again someone else will probably have a different suggestion.

Easy there fella,down boy! I think he meant 60* ambient air temp but it didn't come out that way. :)

Ah, that might be it. I thought he might be over the pond and listing it in Celsius, so I checked his IP. He's in fahrenheit country.
I HOPE he's talking ambient temps.

Thanks guys, i think I'll go with the heat cycle method :) still waiting on new flywheel and clutch shoes so once they come I'll break It in :)

Back