Engine Break-In Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CessnaDriver

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, I am finally done with the build of my Mugen MBX5 ProSpec. The body is out to be painted and I am ready to break the Novarossi P5X in.

Should I put something in the glowplug hole to loosen it up a little?

When first running the engine, you have to crank it until fuel gets into the carberator.

Isn't that all metal on metal contact? Or do new engines come with some kind of lubrication in them from the factory?

Those Novarossi motors are tight, I can't even hand crack it from the flywheel and that's even with the glow plug out of it and no compression.

I sure hope the starter motor can turn it over.

I have a P5 sitting in my XB8 that I have yet to break in. The engines usually come with some lube in there, but if you don't want to crank it over without fuel, you can blow into the pressure line to get some fuel in there. Just loosen the plug a little bit, heat up the engine wih a hair dryer, and full charge your starter box, and hope. LOL, these things are not easy to break in and I am not looking forward to breaking mine in.

beware of the p5x, i think i put a whole 1/2 gallon in just tryiong to get it to crank over and not get stuck. 1 1/2 later, I'm still havin the problem, but this is a good thing, it equals lots of power and bottom.

mxboy100 said:
beware of the p5x, i think i put a whole 1/2 gallon in just tryiong to get it to crank over and not get stuck. 1 1/2 later, I'm still havin the problem, but this is a good thing, it equals lots of power and bottom.

Yep, I ran my first tank this evening. At first, I had to crank it without the glow plug in to get it to crank on the starter box.

Finally got is started and let it idle on the box for the whole tank. I did blip the throttle just a little a few times, all I can say is DAMN, awesome low end and very, very snappy and that was with just a little 1/8 throttle blip. I can tell this engine is going to rock.

After the first tank, I put it at BDC and let it cool, went to go and run a second tank on the ground, but couldn't get it started. I think my glow plug igniter battery was low and wasn't giving the glow plug a full burn. So everything is on the charger right now and will run the second tank tomorrow.

It is ok to leave the fuel in the tank overnight right?

I don't think one night would be a problem... Just keep watching your engine's temperature...I'd really reccomend one of those infra red temperatures...they're really accurate

Best of luck!!