Electric heli help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have been wanting an electric heli for a while and I think I'm going to try one. I'm looking at a few of them but I know nothing about the so I would like some opinions. These are the ones I'm eyeing right now.

Blade CP pro
Venom night ranger 3d
Heli-Max Axe CP

They all seem close to the same to me, I'm open to other suggestion that are in this price range. I know these are not exactly starters but I'm stubborn.

:colts shoe: 9-0 :colts shoe:

Of those, I'd be all over the Blade CP Pro. I have heard less-than-good things about the Night Ranger and the Axe isn't even available yet.

BUT!!! If you want to save a few $$ on a bird that's almost identical to the Blade CP, check into the E-sky Honeybee CP2. Same basic setup as the Blade. Comes with LiPo's. And is about $50 cheaper.

I have the Venom nightranger 2 (the non-3d version). It's great for learning, however, you have to know how to set up helis'. During the initial setup, I found that the heli was seriously out of balance. I actually had to cut down a few pins in the rotor head to make everything balanced.

Given a choice to do it all over, I'd probably go with the Blade CP. It looks like it's put together a little better overall.

Once balanced tho, it flies great. Crashing, on the other hand... Well, lets' just say thank goodness parts are cheap. It isn't fragile - I've slammed it into cardboard boxes with no more damage than the battery moving off center (just have to remember to throttle-back before impact).

You can't go wrong with a micro heli to learn with. Cheap parts and they can take a lot more abuse than a larger heli can.

I'm in the same boat as Smaxxin, been shopping around for the last few weeks and three different hobby shops have pointed to the Blade CP Pro as a good starter heli. The shop that specializes in helicopters recommended to swap out the symmetrical blades on the CP Pro with the wood flat bottom blades when first starting out.

Another heli I have been considering is the Lite Machines Corona 120. It is a larger heli but is the most durable beginner heli rated on the "other forum". It is also the easiest to learn hovering but is not acrobatic at all. It is also not suitable for use indoors. Entry fee for this heli is in the $6-700 range.

Check out this beginner's guide for more insight....or confusion. lol

http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg/ehbg-17.pdf

Last edited:
I just pulled the trigger on a CP Pro. Found it NIB on ebay for a smoking deal and just couldn't resist. All of the LHS around me carry spares so it was pretty much a no brainer considering my budget.

I've been practicing with a similar helicopter on my flight sim and I think I can handle it. I'll post my newbie results with it soon.

SMaxxin said:
Thanks for the input guys. I was almost sure of the one I wanted until I read the link SD provided..good link bro! I'll do a little more research, hopefully I'll made a decision before too long.

I'm really leaning towards the Blade CP pro, I just found this on eBay, doesn't seem bad for $50.00 ???
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRE-FLIGHT-Blad...oryZ2563QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
A simulator is a good idea. It can help you a ton. Even something as easy as FMS (which is free, BTW) can at least start to polish your orientation skills. I have Reflex XTR which has helped a lot. I still crash a ton, but at least it don't cost nuthin to fix...

Candyman said:
A simulator is a good idea. It can help you a ton. Even something as easy as FMS (which is free, BTW) can at least start to polish your orientation skills. I have Reflex XTR which has helped a lot. I still crash a ton, but at least it don't cost nuthin to fix...

I have played around with FMS at a friend's house, it was fun but from what everyone says the real thing can't be that easy.

sweetdiesel said:
I just pulled the trigger on a CP Pro. Found it NIB on ebay for a smoking deal and just couldn't resist.

Sent you a pm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys, I just ordered a Blade CP Pro!!!!

You will love the CP Pro, I got mine about 5 days ago an have been flying none stop.

If you ever need any help feel free to ask (SweetD that goes for you also), I have some recommendations also.

This may help in the future. http://www.bladecprepair.com/Yes it is for the CP but 95 percent of the stuff goes for both.

Last edited:
Tarant said:
You will love the CP Pro, I got mine about 5 days ago an have been flying none stop.

If you ever need any help feel free to ask, I have some recommendations also.

This may help in the future. http://www.bladecprepair.com/Yes it is for the CP but 95 percent of the stuff goes for both.

How long have you been flying? Thanks for offering to help.....you might regret it later LOL. Nice link for learning repairs, I'm know it will be need. Don't hold back on the recommendations, all info is greatly appreciated!

Coming Soon to a thread near you

Two newbies try to fly

Featuring SMaxxin and sweetdiesel...this should be funny!

I had been flying helis for about 2 weeks prior. I have about 10min on a CX and and hour on the Hanger 9 sim at work.

Flat Bottom blades
Training Gear
extra tail rotor
are a must

I have found it easier to fly with
extra set of flybar weights, Du-Bro 3/32 dura-collars are what I use no. 138
and when you get yours look at the tail rotor, their is a peice of micro fuel line holding the rotor on. I broke about 3 tail rotors till I used a lock collar on it. I think 1/8 but not sure. You could also put a bit of CA into the line and that will hold it, but it may be a little hard to take off.

One last thing. DONT FLY INDOORS till you KNOW HOW TO FLY. I dont know how many people buy a CPP and then try to fly indoors right away. They end up breaking stuff all the time, then get discouraged and mad. Learn to fly in big open areas like a parking lot. and learn to hover first.

I've heard the CP Pro is a great heli, I've not had the chance to fly one as of yet though. They are supposed to be alot better than the original CP, in which I had and totally hated it.

As Tarant says, flat bottom blades are a must for a beginner, they add alot of stability. Also, fly outdoors in a big area WITH training gear. Even if you've flown on a sim.

Get it to where it just lifts off a little bit, about a foot off the ground. Also keep the tail rotor pointing to you. By doing this it will keep all the controls as they are on the radio; left is left, right is right, etc.. Above all else, take baby steps with it. Alot of the people I have helped have always wanted to jump right in and put their helis in forward flight after they have learned to hover tail-in. DON'T do this until you can comfortably hover it from ALL VIEWS; tail-in, left side, right side and lastly nose-in. I have been flying helis for a few years now and have found out if you learn to hover comfortably from all 4 views, forward flight is a breeze as there will be no surprise at any time during flight because you have already got familiar with every flyable view....unless you go inverted...lol..

Good luck with it bud, flying a heli is like nothing else and along with that comes a great deal of satisfaction as most peeps are scared to try!

-Nitro

I would like to thank you guys dropping some pointers on here and hopefully getting things going in the right direction......After reading your posts I would have screwed up from the word go LOL

I was very excited to find out that the Hobby shops in my area both carry all parts for the CP Pro, I'm going to look for the flat bottom blades this weekend.

The CP Pro came in today! It's too windy outside so I messed around in the house a little.....It's a little scary. I have the training gear on it so I was walking it around on that, then I had it hovering for about two seconds and flew it into my legs LOL. I think I'll wait for the wind to stop.

I can see that this will be very interesting, I'll ask my wife to video for a while so you guys will have something to laugh at.

After day one this is what it looks like

helibn9.jpg

It hovered right into my sons bike LOL

lol......been there done that bro.....all part of the learning process. Now you know what happens when it hits bicycles....lol...

Take no offence bud, I've crashed a coulpe where they weren't good for nothing but spare parts and then that was questionable....LOL

Keep at it, you'll get it......good luck!

-Nitro

Not too bad Smaxxin. My rotor blades are looking slightly nicer than yours, but still pretty chipped up. I think I had about 7 seconds total airtime with my first pack today. lol I will have to say that even with the flight sim time, trying to hover a heli is extremely challenging. Which also makes it a ton of fun at the same time. At one point I had it about chest high and the wind took it and slammed it in to my Japanese maple tree. It survived the crash and my wife and father in law were rolling on the ground laughing. It was great fun even if I only got one battery pack in.

Also, I found a source for virtually unbreakable plastic blades. The heavier weight makes the heli more stable for us newbies, at the cost of flight time and possible increased main shaft damage. Mainshafts are cheaper than blades.

www.jcshobbies.com

I just ordered a pair.

Last edited:
I was getting better on the second pack and got a little cocky, about 15 seconds without touching down I started loosing it and thought I could get it back.....then I found the bike LOL.

The more I played with the trims the easier it got. Once everything is set it should be a little easier, right now it's all over the place.

The hardest part is setting them up.
Once you guys get through that, flying will be a breeze.