ECX Torment bearing questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a couple of simple questions. First, does the RTR Torment come with metal or rubber shielded bearings in the hubs? Second, is there any advantage to rubber shielded bearings over metal shielded in the transmission? I typically just get a complete rubber shielded set, and do all the bearings (just did it on a Tamiya TL01), but then I was told there was no point in the diff/transmission.

If the bearings are enclosed inside a case, you don't really need shields at all, and in fact it would be best to remove the seals/shield if they are in a compartment with grease in it. Metal will not prevent moisture from getting in them, which is what rubber shielded ones are for. Some bearings come single side shielded for applications where one side of the bearing runs inside a housing, and only the outside is exposed to the environment.

If you need to remove the bearing shields to grease them, always start on the inside (smaller diameter side). There is a solid flange on the outside that is harder to pry out, but easy once you peel the inside loose. The top edge is the inside of the seal in this picture below. Notice the double flange, meant to flex when installing and removing.
llb-1085x611.jpg

WF is right if theyre in a sealed environment you technically dont need shields but if you're going to use bearings with shields the metal shielded would be better. Metal shielded bearing have less resistance. Theyre not as good at keeping dirt out as rubber shielded but inside a transmission where dirt can't get in anyway then thats not a concern so go with metal....or none. That being said it doesn't hurt to use rubber.

WF is right if theyre in a sealed environment you technically dont need shields but if you're going to use bearings with shields the metal shielded would be better. Metal shielded bearing have less resistance. Theyre not as good at keeping dirt out as rubber shielded but inside a transmission where dirt can't get in anyway then thats not a concern so go with metal....or none. That being said it doesn't hurt to use rubber.
That's why I typically don't buy bearing kits. They are always all rubber sealed bearings. I never understood why they don't provide proper bearings for the application. It's fine for our hobby really, but not ideal.

That's why I typically don't buy bearing kits. They are always all rubber sealed bearings. I never understood why they don't provide proper bearings for the application. It's fine for our hobby really, but not ideal.
Same here. In fact if someone really wanted to get technical with it you could use hybrid bearings in places like the cups on the diff. You could run a bearing thats rubber on one side and face it toward the outside of the diff cup and metal on the other side that would face inside the diff cup. I'm not that crazy with it though.

They have those teflon shielded bearings too but I forget what the pros and cons are with those.

Same here. In fact if someone really wanted to get technical with it you could use hybrid bearings in places like the cups on the diff. You could run a bearing thats rubber on one side and face it toward the outside of the diff cup and metal on the other side that would face inside the diff cup. I'm not that crazy with it though.

They have those teflon shielded bearings too but I forget what the pros and cons are with those.
This all came about because of two different vehicles. The first, a Tamiya TL01, i bought a complete rubber shielded set, and then someone mentioned not to use them in the diffs/transmission, since they are enclosed, and the second is an ECX project i am working on. I bought an ECX torment slider from a kit breaker, that was supposed to be new, but, the diagrams show the hub bearings to be metal, and the truck i got has rubber shielded bearings in the hubs, but not in the transmission, and since this is my first ECX, i wondered if they came that way, or if maybe someone upgraded the hub bearings (either way, I'm not complaining, just curious), only to sell the chassis later. Literally everything on the chassis is super clean, and even the diff and transmission gears look new, so who knows.

This all came about because of two different vehicles. The first, a Tamiya TL01, i bought a complete rubber shielded set, and then someone mentioned not to use them in the diffs/transmission, since they are enclosed, and the second is an ECX project i am working on. I bought an ECX torment slider from a kit breaker, that was supposed to be new, but, the diagrams show the hub bearings to be metal, and the truck i got has rubber shielded bearings in the hubs, but not in the transmission, and since this is my first ECX, i wondered if they came that way, or if maybe someone upgraded the hub bearings (either way, I'm not complaining, just curious), only to sell the chassis later. Literally everything on the chassis is super clean, and even the diff and transmission gears look new, so who knows.
IDK how the kit comes stock but in the overall scheme of things it wont hurt anything either way.

Not really familiar the the ECX stuff. Is that a Chinese brand? A lot of the Chinese stuff comes with metal shielded bearings.

Back