E Revo 2.0 rebuild, 1 year and 8 months later

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peeeenuuutt

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
I’d like to start this thread off saying merry christmas to everyone, and happy holidays. I hope your day goes very well and I hope you all like this rebuild.

This is my e revo, it hasn’t had much done to it maintenance wise since I bought it in April of 2018, as a rare first production fleet model, dedicated to a fallen friend.
image.jpg

Let’s get down to business... and fix what’s worn out. First let’s tackle the spoiler. 2 screws and it’s out, 2 screws and it’s in.

That said, out with the old:
image.jpg

And in with the new:
image.jpg

Now that that is done, let’s get onto this motor mount:
image.jpg

There’s a lot of broken here. That large bottom screw near the battery vent (bottom left) is partially stripped, and the spur gear is also half stripped. Thirdly, that hobbywing fan sucks, I have a yeahracing replacement. Take 1 bolt out and the whole motor comes off the mount. Because I have that huge heat sink, I also need to take out 2 screws to get the receiver box cap off... no problem, I need to get in there anyway to wire up the new fan:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Electrics wired up:
image.jpg

Now that the motor mount is all disassembled, I’m going to flip the truck over and take the whole transmission out- we’re replacing the bearings in it anyway. To get the transmission out, first you need to take the whole skid plate assembly out. It’s 17 screws. After this, unhook the center driveshafts and take out the 4 bolts securing it to the chassis.
image.jpg

After:
image.jpg

Worth noting: those factory plastic driveshafts have no visible wear on any of the joints, only a little scraping from rocks. Let’s take a look at that trans:
image.jpg

Will continue in replies.

Last edited:
Kinda disappointed... bought a whole bearing kit but so far I haven’t found a sloppy or seized bearing. Center diff, inside and out- and the cush drive checked out perfectly:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back together, I ended up replacing 3 of the 6 bearings... because they were dirty- and the old spur is finally replaced.
image.jpg

Installed:
image.jpg

All better :)

Will continue with more replies; taking a break for now.

Next up is the steering. This rack is completely blown out, and the car really handles awfully. To take it out, all you have to do is unbolt the front two turnbuckles, and unbolt the servo horns.
Once again, out with the old:
image.jpg

And in with the new:
image.jpg

Now for another thing that’s been broke , the front differential ring gear. I chipped a tooth off of it a little over a year ago when the stock motor seized up at top speed. Here’s how it looks now:

image.jpg

New unit:
image.jpg

Next up is the rear bulkhead. Half the screws going into it have stripped out the holes and the pin retainer is also broken:
image.jpg

Here’s it out of the truck:
image.jpg

Will continue in the next reply.

Rear differential assembly is really worn out, I will replace both bearings and the drive cups... here’s the old part:
image.jpg

And the new:
image.jpg

Here’s the pinion... these bearings are showing no signs of wear but they’re dirty so I’ll replace them too:
image.jpg

Bulkhead is all back together and put into the car. Guys... that was a total PITA...

image.jpg

Now to bolt the skid plates back on:
image.jpg

I’ll be back with another reply :) the final step awaits

Here are the final touches. Every wheel is off to be cleaned, and the wheel bearings are all going to be replaced. While none of them are seized, they’re all real sloppy:
image.jpg

The front right bearing welded itself to the shaft so I can’t get it out of the caster block.. I’m gonna call it quits today and finish it up tomorrow.

I ended up rigging the front right corner real bad. That bearing wasn’t budging and the pin is snapped in the cvd. I put an oversized pin in the cvd and send tapped the wheel nut on. It needs a whole new corner, but it should be ok for now. Pictures coming tomorrow.

It’s beautiful... I never realized how smooth this car used to be!!! All aligned up and ready to go out on its maiden voyage.
image.jpg

Initial run was excellent. Motor temps down 20 degrees, runtime up 5 full minutes. Tires rubbed all the dirt into the grass so they’ve cleaned up nicely.
image.jpg

Surprised you didn't tear down the diffs while you had them out to inspect/refill. Especially the center diff as it's a bit of a pain to get at.

Surprised you didn't tear down the diffs while you had them out to inspect/refill. Especially the center diff as it's a bit of a pain to get at.
I refilled the center, and I also refilled the front (I replaced the ring gear on it so I had to) the rear got filled a month ago and passed the visual inspection.