e-801Xt nearly done

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixtysixdeuce

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Soooo.....I initially ordered the second 801Xt for parts, but my nature got the best of me, and I went ahead and built it. That was last month, just after I finished the nitro 801. Then it sat on the shelf with an unpainted body and only what came in the kit until just last week.

What spurred this was the failure of the ESC in my Prolite, and a decision to order a $50 Kyosho Vortex sensorless 2,000 KV take-out and run a Dynamite 150 ESC I already had, rather than order the $100 Hobbywing Xerun sensored ESC. Well, I managed to cook that dynamite ESC in under 5 minutes, so I ended up spending even more on the Prolite, having to order a Hobbywing SC8WP ESC to power that big Kyosho can. Anyway, this still left me with a sensored 2150 KV 1/8 motor.......

A couple days later, I finally got paid on the Corsa NX-76 I sold, so I went ahead and ordered up a Xerun 150a ESC. It came in yesterday, so I finished up working and then went nuts on the mill, getting my conversion done.

Yes, it would have been far easier to just order the conversion kit from RCproductdesigns.com, but 1) it ain't cheap at $105 shipped, and 2) I've never been a fan of the idea of hanging a big ol' motor off a thin piece of aluminum with only 2 screws. I'm sure it'd be fine, but I wanted something stouter. So I rummaged through the metal stock pile, found a nice ~2"x3"x4" hunk of 7075-T6 aluminum.

After about 3 hours, I had my mount. It uses the nitro mount points, so unlike the RCproductdesigns conversion, my e-conversion keeps the motor on the same side. It supports the can on three sides, and the motor is attached with four countersunk 3mm screws:

IMG_0801_zps2f63c921.jpg

Yeah....that thing is going nowhere!

ESC is simply servo taped to the chassis, I soldered the bullet connectors directly to the motor.

IMG_0800_zps2dba41e1.jpg

The more interesting part was going to be the battery. To lay it flat, I'd have had to abandon the original steering servo mount, which I didn't want to do. Answer? Stand it on it's side. The holder is milled from a hunk of polyethylene I had on hand, and secured to the chassis with two 3mm screws, using nuts on the inside. I think it'll hold.

IMG_0802_zps75cf51a5.jpg

All that's left now is tires (should be here tomorrow, buggy wheels just on it to roll it around) and to snag a pinion at the track on Sunday. I plan to run this critter on 3S and 4S, but I may revisit the battery tray and make it accomodate 6S if I don't feel it's fast enough.

Body came out decent for a quick paint job, I think. Can't tell in the pic, but it is a metallic black.

IMG_0799_zpsea34a6d3.jpg

This is my first 1/8 electric. We'll see how it does!

Done! She scoots, will be interesting to run them side by side.

IMG_0807_zpse722ad06.jpg

Fraternal twins:

IMG_0805_zpsc8e71045.jpg

How's this thing holding up man?

Well done, it turned out real nice man. Weight wise, is it lighter or about the same as the nitro version?

How's this thing holding up man?

Excellent so far. Both of them.

I thought I seen something like this once but the one I was looking as was this: http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...TAMIYA+TRF801t

Yeah, you've never seen one like this, unless it was my photograph somewhere else. Lol. The RC Monster and RC Product Designs conversions are nice kits, but I wanted something that better supported the heavy motor, so I milled my own mount.

Weight wise, is it lighter or about the same as the nitro version?

Heavier. The Nitro is 9.58 lbs with a full tank and receiver pack, the electric is 9.99 pounds with 5,000 mAh 4S LiPo.

The nitro is heavy. I forget weight of mine (will post tonight)...but it was considerably heavier than my D8T.

Surprising as 801xt has lots of CF and I'm running a .21. My D8T has the most alum of any of our vehicles (no CF) and running a .25. Plus the Tamiya body and wing are much lighter than my D8T's. I weighed without fuel.

I know the track width is different and imagine wheel base is too.

Back