Dynamite mach 2 .21 "red head" engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackdaddy66

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
just wonderin how many of you use or have any experience with this engine, picked it up as a replacement for my .25 engine in my truck now. its a pull-start-spin start engine, any info will be appreciated. thanks

For a Savage? I have one but never tried it in my Savage. I'm not sure the .21 version will be quite enough for the truck. Probably close to the same power as the 25.

well, just got it as a temporary till i get my engine back or a replacement from HPI RACING, Just want to bash with my son at the local park, he's down now for the summer. Thanks

I have the dynamite .19T in a tmaxx and it's a good engine. More torque and faster than the TRX 3.3 I had in it.

I started up my new mill yesterday, "briefly", but it started right up, just drove it around for two tanks but it did fine. gotta go get new clutch springs tomorrow but i dig this little engine, that .36 was a gas hog, what time it ran. oh well, called HPI, they say my engine is in their shop and if they can't fix it they will send me a k4.6 pull-start instead, if i get the 5.9 back, i think i'll sell it, and if i get a whole summer of fun outta this little .21 then i may buy a new .28 DYNAMITE "BIG RED" this winter. can't wait to get my break-in finished and lean this puppy out a lil. i'll update as i bash more this week. peace out !

Hey all, got new clutch, ran 3 tanks through my truck today, going to the park tomorrow, i like the .21 because i get decent run time on a tank of fuel vs. the 5.9 mill it came with, and as far as power, well i've only leaned it a quarter turn so far, but the savage xl runs good. I am happy with this engine, not the most powerful i've had, but it has good power, starts easily, and plenty of run time per tank. the gearing is still the stock 16 and 52. i'm diggin my Dynamite .21 !!!

I started up my new mill yesterday, "briefly", but it started right up, just drove it around for two tanks but it did fine. gotta go get new clutch springs tomorrow but i dig this little engine, that .36 was a gas hog, what time it ran. oh well, called HPI, they say my engine is in their shop and if they can't fix it they will send me a k4.6 pull-start instead, if i get the 5.9 back, i think i'll sell it, and if i get a whole summer of fun outta this little .21 then i may buy a new .28 DYNAMITE "BIG RED" this winter. can't wait to get my break-in finished and lean this puppy out a lil. i'll update as i bash more this week. peace out !

The Big Red is an excellent engine and a solid investment. I have 1 in my MGT and it makes my old 4.6 .28 look like a smallblock and outperforms it in every aspect. Great Mill!!!!

?? The BigRed is a .28 The MGT actually came with 2 versions> The first year produced came with a .21 Every year afterwards they upgraded it to a .28

I am happy with the mach 2 .21, it has good power, easy to tune, i would like to have a "BIG RED " .28, but for now this little engine does great, i get lots of run time and it's very easy to tune. I should get my replacement engine from HPI next week, just gonna put it up i guess cause this engine does fine. just my opinion but i am diggin extended run time per tank.

Well, I do like the extra power of a .28, but the fuel mileage is cool too. just have to wait and see what HPI sends me as a replacement mill.

just thought i'd let everyone know my pull-start broke the other day, so i called Horizon Hobby, they are sending me out a replacement, gonna replace the clutch springs and shoes while i have the engine off. I should get my replacement engine from HPI next week, not sure if i'll get a 4.6, or a 5.9, i hope its a 4.6 but we will see. I am definately gonna by another savage when i can so i have one to bash on when the other is down.