Drilling holes in rims? tires?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metallicats33

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay, I usually have an off road setup so I'm a bit confused about onroad. I'm trying to go as fast as possible with my 1/10 buggy and want to know if I should drill holes in my wheels or not. I'm trying to prevent ballooning as much as possible. I have 2.2 street tires mounted on rims with no holes in them. should I drill holes in the rim? tire? or just leave it allone? Any pointers would be great.

Last edited:
i guess drilling holes would give them more of a balloning effect because air is able to get under the rubber and let them expand as if theres no air able to get in as they ballon the small amount of air thats in there would create a suction keeping them more into shape.

Just my thoughts it may be incorrect but hope it helps

I was thinking 2 small holes it the tire itself. That way any air in the tires could escape??? I'm not sure on this though. I was thinking that no holes at all would be better but I was wondering what other people have done...

i guess holes in the tyre itself could work but it could also cause deformaties.... what i would do to try it... get some old tyres and run them no holes and do say 2 or 3 laps of a track and then put some small holes in the tyres and do the same amount and see what the diffrence.... proberly a trial and error think depends on your set up ect ect...

i still think no holes at all would have to better if you were able to squeeze some air out before glueing them and keep it out why the glue dryes you might be able to reduce balloning even more
LESS AIR = MORE SUCTION

On monster trucks, you can tape the inside of the tire to prevent ballooning. Might want to check if it also applies to buggy tires.

holes wont do much good. they will just let air in. what you need to do is "belt" the tire. take them off the rims and put 2 or 3 layers of strips of duct tape around the inside. make sure you stagger the start and stop of the strips. then put them back together. the tape will stop the ballooning.

edit: coby beat me to it..

well I got new anacondas and new wheels. I place gorilla duct tape on the inside of the tires. That gorilla tape is sure sticky! I cleaned the mounting surface real good and glued them on nice and even... I haven't ran the car yet, I just was wondering if I should add holes or not... Thanks for all the info.

the tape thing sounds good i'll have to try it! as for the holes you need to let air out also to get bite. stiffer foam also helps. JT

The only time I put holes in a tire is if I get water in it and it's an excape route. Other than that...I put them in the inside of the rim and that's it. The duct tape works really good, I do it on all of my tires that I mount. Kinda a must in my book anyway.

i would think putting tape on the inside of the tire would help more than on the rim. as far as I'm concerned need the holes one way or another

Back