Drift car motor and esc recommendations?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissT

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought a starter drifting car- it's a HPI Maverick Strada. It's different to the Tamiyas that I'm used to in many ways. Today I fitted it up with the electrics and a Tamiya torque tune motor. It's ok and it slides quite well but it doesn't seem fast enough. I don't really want ultimate speed because drifting is a new thing for us.
What sort of motor and esc should I be running as a good starting point?
Thanks in advance!

With drifting, it's not so much about having a faster motor. If you have a motor that is too fast, it will just spin the snot out of the tires so fast that it doesn't move at all. My nephew, and his neighbor, both have drifters. My nephew has a much faster motor but his neighbor's car is faster because the nephew just sits and spins his tires.

With drifting, it's not so much about having a faster motor. If you have a motor that is too fast, it will just spin the snot out of the tires so fast that it doesn't move at all. My nephew, and his neighbor, both have drifters. My nephew has a much faster motor but his neighbor's car is faster because the nephew just sits and spins his tires.

We've somehow kind of discovered that- I fitted a 15T motor that was intended for something else and a Tamiya esc borrowed from another car that's waiting for parts. t's about fast enough but the esc keeps thermalling itself out.
I suppose other problems will come up such as tyres matching the surface and so on.

Back