does putting a bigger batter make the car go faster

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyB

RC Newbie
Reaction score
i just bought a Hosim 28/45 brushless 4x4 1/16 scale and i’m new to this so i’m not sure if this is good, but i am wondering if putting a higher capacity battery would make it go faster? I’m sorry if this doesn’t really make sense as i said i’m very new to this, if someone could tell me it’s a good motor or not thank you ?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

No a bigger battery (more mAh) won't make it go faster unless it's more cells. Guessing it's supposed to run on 2s, so using a 3s battery yes would make it go faster but also possibly damage your ESC and motor. Can't tell from just looking I'd the motor is decent but being a cheaper Hosim product it probably is not the best motor.

i just bought a Hosim 28/45 brushless 4x4 1/16 scale and i’m new to this so i’m not sure if this is good, but i am wondering if putting a higher capacity battery would make it go faster? i’m sorry if this doesn’t really make sense as i said i’m very new to this, if someone could tell me it’s a good motor or not thank you ?
A bigger battery will only increase runtime. To make it faster, you have to change gearing, but then you run the risk of overheating if you run the wrong gear. A bigger pinion will make it faster, and a smaller pinion will make it slower, but, be careful to only change one or two teeth difference from what it has now. For example, if it has 10 tooth pinion, try a 12 tooth pinion, but, keep an eye on motor and ESC temps so it doesn't run too hot. Also, make sure the gear you get is the same pitch (P, DP, mod .06, mod .08 are some examples) as the original gear. Your manual should tell you that info. You could also go with a faster motor, but, if the rest of the truck isnt built for it, you will just keep breaking things.

No a bigger battery (more mAh) won't make it go faster unless it's more cells. Guessing it's supposed to run on 2s, so using a 3s battery yes would make it go faster but also possibly damage your ESC and motor. Can't tell from just looking I'd the motor is decent but being a cheaper Hosim product it probably is not the best motor.
okay thank you i’ve tried searching it up and it said it did but i didn’t wanna just do it and destroy it, but i mean i’m sure to you guys it’s on the cheaper side but i paid like 220 for it, would i be able to buy a better brushless motor kit that comes with an esc and stuff?

okay thank you i’ve tried searching it up and it said it did but i didn’t wanna just do it and destroy it, but i mean i’m sure to you guys it’s on the cheaper side but i paid like 220 for it, would i be able to buy a better brushless motor kit that comes with an esc and stuff?
There are a ton of options, from cheap to very expensive, but, i tend to not like the combos. I typically buy the ESC (usually Hobby Wing) and motor (GoolRC and Surpass hobby arent bad) separately, only because, in the case of GoolRC for example, the motors tend to be decent, and the ESC is junk, so i stick with an ESC that is proven to last, but wont break the bank. You can find motors on eBay and Amazon, or even your local shop, that run anywhere from $25 to over $100 just for the motor. The first thing to look at is what motor will work in it. I dont mess with the smaller scale stuff, so i have no clue what size motor they use. A search of the manual, or a label on the motor should give you a starting point. If you do have a decent motor, you might be able to get away with just swapping to a 3S capable Hobby Wing ESC that will work with it. I would look into gearing first though, as swapping to a 3S capable ESC and battery might be way more than that truck can handle.

i just bought a Hosim 28/45 brushless 4x4 1/16 scale and i’m new to this so i’m not sure if this is good, but i am wondering if putting a higher capacity battery would make it go faster? i’m sorry if this doesn’t really make sense as i said i’m very new to this, if someone could tell me it’s a good motor or not thank you ?
Only way is to put a bigger kv motor in or bigger pinion or more voltage if the ESC can handle it. All MAH dose is increase run time.

That appears to use a esc/receiver combo, so if you do want to try a different motor/esc, you will likely have to buy a new transmitter/receiver as well and find a place to put it. Might be best just to use it as it is and see how you like the hobby, then save up for a more hobby grade truck. Arrma has a few smaller ones that aren't overly expensive, like the granite and typhon 3s. Plenty of parts availability and upgrade options for those.

$320: https://www.amazon.com/ARRMA-Brushless-Transmitter-Batteries-ARA4302V3T2
$320: https://www.amazon.com/ARRMA-Brushless-Transmitter-Batteries-ARA4306V3/dp/B08F2K2T8B

No to ops question a larger mah battery will not make rc go faster it does not work that way.. A battery with a larger start voltage will but you must stay in the recommended voltage..so when it says 2 cells its a 2 cell not a 3 cell.now you can get a slight speed advantage with a smaller mah battery as long as C rate is meet.. if esc can handle a liHv then you will also gain a slight speed increase ...
switching electronic can and will be pricey. you will gain speed but it will cost you..

Back