Do you own a LST?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice rig. I have been wanting an LST for awhile I may sell off some of my rigs and get one.

That thing is clean! The piston looks to be in good shape. Does the engine still have good pinch at the top of the stroke?

Sent from my XT907

I would tear down the engine and inspect the bearings. I would clean the internals if needed and relube everything. Then I would tear the tranny apart and inspect all the gears and make sure it has plenty of fresh grease in it. Inspect all bearing in the tranny too. Then Id tear the diffs down and inspect the gears and bearings there and put 30-50k diff oil insid ethe diffs and make sure the ring and pinion have fresh grease. Then Id check the wheel bearings. After all that Id go get it dirty!

When you can afford it Id switch to RPM arms all the way around and use the Lunsford 5x35mm LSN1535 titanium camber links. (The RPM arm instructions actually suggest the Lunsfords to make the arms bullet proof. The aluminum ones that come with it bend and break surprisingly easy and they arent covered by the RPM warranty.

Then I would also get the Lunsford Titanium turnbuckles for it as you'll break the stock ones left and right.

After that I would try and snatch up Aluminum shock towers, bellcranks, (You'll probably also want the BAC steering link to go along with this). Steering knuckles (good luck finding those), and a chassis plate brace. These aftermarket parts are drying up pretty quick but the RPM arms and the Lunsford turnbuckles are still easy to find.

Oh and eventually I would switch to 17mm hexes when you go to switch tires so you have more wheel choices.

Yea it has lots of compression. It seems to have not much use at all. This thing is clean. I talked to the previous owner and he said he may have half gallon through it maybe if that. So i will continue to service it. I like this rig alot. Thanks for all the input. When i get done going through thw transmission and diffs i will report back to see how it turned out

Odd that it has plastic shocks. LST2's came with threaded alloy shocks. The aftershock/raminator came with plastic shocks though.

The xxls as well. The previous owner had like 3 of these and i did notice his other 2 had the aluminum shocks so maybe he swapped them out.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

I also noticed it has the blue diff cases so it must be a lst2 right? I wouldnt see why someone would swap out parts concidering the truck is in like new condition.

Ya thats what i was thinking. I think when I'm done servicing it and going through the whole thing i wanna get the hard anodized shocks (silver/gray).

I would have taken them as well. The blue aluminum shocks are getting harder to find.

Sent from my XT907

yeah it seems parts are geting harder to find.. would it be bettr to convert to losi xxl platform? I'm really lovin this truck. havent finished going through it yet tho so havent driven it..

Parts are readily available really if you don't mind putting XXL parts on one, some original parts for the older models may not be though. I know several of my LHS's have tons of parts for the regular LST, LST2 and more..

Are there any parts from the xxl that will not fit on my lst2?

many of the parts from the lst2 are interchangeable with either the aftershock items or xxl items depending on what they are. I'm pretty sure in this forum someone has posted or linked which parts are interchangeable and which are not. Just a few of the major differences, is aftershock cvds dont fit lst2, but xxl does. xxl diffs work on lst2 aftershock use plastic cases, i wouldnt recommend it. you need center cvds specific to aftershock/lst2 chassis parts from the aftershock will work for lst2 while some xxl parts won't, like the main chassis plates and siderails. for bearing kits i just order the one for the xxl, for transmissions i get em for the xxl. Top plates can be from either the xxl or the aftershock. I think I covered most of em that are questionable. I'm sure someone else will come correct me if i missed one :).

*edit i forgot one. the carriers for the aftershock do not fit the lst2, you need xxl carriers. (its a bearing issue)

When changing the one way bearing in the backplate (spin start), should i have to change the shaft as well? I can't tell by looking at it if the shaft is bad. So i was wondering if i should just change them both. Do the shafts go bad ?

yes, they can go bad.

if there is vissible excessive wear on the OWB contact area on the shaft, maybe you shud change them.

thanks man, i will just buy the shaft. itc only a couple bucks anyway. how often do these one way bearings have to be cleaned? and what fuel is best for this truck? I'm running the mach 427

Are there any parts from the xxl that will not fit on my lst2?

The only parts that arent compatible between lst2 and xxl are:

center drive shafts
Chassis rails
Center chassis plate (upper and lower plates are the same)
Body

The only other difference I can think of but are still compatible.
The went from using the Dynamite Mach 427 to the Losi 454
No high/low gear selector on the transmission
went from FM TX/RX to 2.4GHZ
Added telemetry (I dont run the telemetry on either of my kits but it looks like it would be compatible)
changed from aluminum body shocks to plastic body

Thats all I can think of atm.

Ok cool. I think I'm gonna order up some blue aluminum shock bodies. What website do you guys use to order your lst2 or xxl parts stock and aftermarket? I've found that overdriverc.com, amainhobbies and rcboca has some good stuff. Are there any others?

I use LA parts house. They carry parts for every model of the LST.

Sent from my XT907