Dirt racing newbie

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The day was wild. Definitely my best day of driving. 14 laps a personal best. And a couple 20 second laps best a 20.7. Still trying for a 19 second lap this year. I got 3rd in the short corse B main and forth in both buggy A mains. But I was almost always on the lead lap or maybe one lap down.
The 2WD main was a disaster. I did not have a metal servo horn for my new Losi 5.0 ( which rocks buy the way). So I used the one that came with the kit. During the second heat it stripped and I tightened it up and hoped the screw had just back out. But it was stripped and I went to the line early but discovered it was slipping. So in a panic I ran to my van and started swapping the servo horn. They waited and then came over to see how I was and I said to just start without me. But I kept working. So they started the race. I got a 23 tooth horn and just screwed it on the 25 tooth servo and went for it. The alignment was off and I started over a minute late. But with an eight minute main I only finished three laps down. Normally I would finished two laps down anyhow so I was going pretty good and didn’t crash.

Back at it after a rain delay. The track is good. Damp no dust but loose this morning.
Temps are in the 70s but the wind will be 25~35 mph. And practice so far showed it to be a factor.

4D92BE6C-6528-4990-87F3-0EC571EB3356.jpeg

image.jpg

Crazy day. Wind was like 25 mph with 45 mph gusts. Actually got blown over on the straight.
Managed to podium the 2WD buggy race. My wheel came off in the first qualifying heat. I got the wheel took a nut off my 4wd went back and only lost 120 seconds of the race.
Next week Is the last race of the season.
Then I found the wheel nut when I went out to marshal.

The results posted yesterday and I finished third place out of 19 in 2WD 17.5 buggy. Third place out of 11 in 4WD modified buggy and seventh place out of 27 in 4WD mod short corse. The season was such a good time. I got to meet new people learned a lot. Now I am looking forward to next year. I won’t be a newbie anymore.

Thanks

Don’t know if I have the energy for a full card over winter. I just want to keep improving and having fun. But next season I plan to go at it again in the dirt, except I’m going to add a 1/10 scale truggy. They are super fun to drive.

Well we are finally at the last day of the season. Points race is done just a fun race and awards. Beautiful day, no wind and cold. Frost on the grass and 40 some degrees. The track is rough but dry and not much loose. I was on it for a couple hours yesterday and it’s fast.
Should be a fun day.

113AA1C7-DE97-4079-80DF-A391AB97CCCA.jpeg

AB10DA58-19B7-497D-815D-F4B1D274C3C0.jpeg

And that brings the 2022 season and this thread to a close. I appreciate everyone following along on my first year of racing. It took me two years to get to the starting line. But next season we’ll be even better now that I have my rigs and a year of experience. Todays race was the best ever with a second place finish in 4wd buggie and third in 2wd buggie. I finished fifth in Short corse but that was in the A main. So normally I just battle to get into the Main event. But today felt great. I felt like I was going easy and everything was happening in slow motion. I did not get a full charge on my 4wd battery going into the A main. Nothing I could do but not go full throttle and try to get through to the end. That work out so well I actually was in first place for a lap or two and finished the eight minute race in second place. The only goal I did not achieve this year was a 19 second lap. I get a lot of 20 second laps and my personal best was 20.335.

B3EA0158-AC7C-4D7C-BC45-659B0D350489.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow great thread! My two adult sons and I are wanting to start racing. Closest track is about 45 minutes. Not ideal. For Christmas this year I built losi mini b pro rollers for myself and the boys. We went to the track and loved it. I've been trying to decide on a 2wd buggy. The track is indoor clay. The hobby shop mainly carries Losi and team associated. So far I'm thinking the losi 22 5.0 elite is the car for me. Any thoughts?

Wow great thread! My two adult sons and I are wanting to start racing. Closest track is about 45 minutes. Not ideal. For Christmas this year I built losi mini b pro rollers for myself and the boys. We went to the track and loved it. I've been trying to decide on a 2wd buggy. The track is indoor clay. The hobby shop mainly carries Losi and team associated. So far I'm thinking the losi 22 5.0 elite is the car for me. Any thoughts?
The TLR 22 5.0 DC, DC elite, or DC roller are good cars. Associated side of things are the B6.4D or the B6.3D if they still have it in stock. Both are good brands and good cars. There are other options but if those are their 2 main brands that they carry, get that brand so you know that you can get parts. For other brands there is the Yokomo YZ2 dirt version and the Xray XB2D. Either TLR or Associated will be good, Mostly up to you between losi or associated.

The TLR 22 5.0 DC, DC elite, or DC roller are good cars. Associated side of things are the B6.4D or the B6.3D if they still have it in stock. Both are good brands and good cars. There are other options but if those are their 2 main brands that they carry, get that brand so you know that you can get parts. For other brands there is the Yokomo YZ2 dirt version and the Xray XB2D. Either TLR or Associated will be good, Mostly up to you between losi or associated.
That's the advice I've been working from. Thank you. I like the elite better than the roller for two reasons. The upgrade parts are nice, but mostly I prefer to build the car for myself. Looks like the elite won't be available until sometime next month. This will give me some time to finalize my decision and figure out electronics. Any advice on that would also be great. Planning on using my dx5c for now. Save a little money.

I have the 22-5.0 Elite and I got third place in the points championship on my first year with it. I also have the B6.3 for carpet. Both rock, but you have to pay attention to the set up sheets. They are very sophisticated. And use what ever the fast guys at the track use when it comes to tires.