David's Tamiya TT-02 10th scale On-Road TC build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found my issue. The servo isn't returning to center. Causing it to pull left or right and making it uncontrollable when I try to make it go straight. šŸ™

First breakages.

Gonna pull the servo out to re center it. I'll also put thread lock on that screw as it backed out (the screw for the servo horn). Might get aluminum steering rack. Not sure.

Shredded the gearing and sounds awful. Unless it's not the gears and it's the motor? Not sure. I'll post hona video in a second.

Also got a video with the body on
PXL_20240429_222554394.jpg
PXL_20240429_225735590.MP.jpg

Since I'll be pulling all of that out, I'll install the aluminum YR center driveshaft I got. Well maybe before I do I'll run it without a driveshaft and see how rwd does. šŸ¤”

Last edited:
Would it be worth it to convert it to a TT02B if it's not that hard to do? Local track (off-road) has a new stock class for these. If it's not hard to do, and inexpensive I might consider it, to find/get more uses out of the car.

Currently it's sitting on the bench. Need to get new spur and a couple of new pinions.

Hope to see some more videos of you racing or running this car in the future. It will be awhile until i can get the necessary camera gear to record running videos of my cars someday as i just resurrected my YouTube page as Cyril Jones RC\cjchannel12RC not much is there yet. If you're wondering i'm planning to save up for a big RC truck pretty soon in July the saving will start. Can anyone guess what the new truck i'll getting will be? it's a 5th scale and it's by Horizon\Losi.
Losi 5T is kinda wack. I'd go with a 30DegreeNorthSCT. Cheaper.

If inexpensive yes.
Would it be worth it to convert it to a TT02B if it's not that hard to do? Local track (off-road) has a new stock class for these. If it's not hard to do, and inexpensive I might consider it, to find/get more uses out of the car.

Currently it's sitting on the bench. Need to get new spur and a couple of new pinions.

I am not 100%, but I think going to the B is just changing the way the axle carriers mount. Look in your instruction manual. It has the instructions in it for building the car as a buggy.

People say just to buy a new TT02B kit and be on my way. One person did the maths and he said I would save about 5 bucks by going with a new kit.

Ehh. Not sure if i want to race a outdated car that would break. I already have too much plans on my hands now so ill stick that project to the side.

I forgot to order foam inserts šŸ¤¦

Probably because 10th scale tires, well most of them that I buy, come with inserts.
Even most cheap, no-name touring car wheels tires come with foam inserts. That's just pure nickel and diming for Tamiya to not include a few little strips of foam.

I'd just buy a fresh TT02B kit from the start and run that, at least those come with a steel pinion so it should last more than 2 packs.

@WickedFog You're thinking of "rally" mode, the B uses different arms, dogbones, hubs, and hardware. It's actually it's a better design than the basic TT02 in a few areas

Last edited:
Me with my 10/10 sticker cutting, šŸ¤£

View attachment 189710
Gotta start somewhere!

I briefly had a TT02B and I felt that it drove fine, (though the previous owner had thrown a few hundred into it only to sell it in dissapointment), it had the fancy aluminum steering, carbon shock towers, overpriced TRF aluminum shocks, etc.

They're durable if you keep them plastic fantastic, mine had a broken eyelet on the $60 shocks (fixed with a $10 parts tree that couldn't cost more than a nickel to make), and the $50 aluminum bellcrank stripped a ball joint (fixed with loctite). Whatever aluminum that Tamiya uses isn't far from the same cheap stuff that you get on a Redcat basher.

Last edited:
Took the TT for a spin today. Nice day out. People washing their cars. Water in the alley. Yea went through it. Drifty. Car is a total mess tho. Filled with grass and mud. Wish I still had those cans of compressed air.
Might take it out again since I let it dry off, hopefully to get some of that muck off the car.

Before taking it out I did undo the servo, got the servo horn screws and bellcrank screws tightened up and seems too be a bit better, but still ain't driving straight.

1000000095.jpg

Before taking it out I did undo the servo, got the servo horn screws and bellcrank screws tightened up and seems too be a bit better, but still ain't driving straight.

View attachment 189762
Yea...on-roaders get pretty filthy, its a mix of their low chassis and in-board wheels.

Are you using the stock servo saver? And what servo model are you running?

I highly doubt the servo is an issue. That car goes wherever it wants to.

If you look under the chassis, the bellcrank screws can be drilled through and the chassis has nut pockets molded in to add nuts to the underside.

Doing that is supposed to help some.

Back