Cut off engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase125

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
How do you guys cut your engines off? Or what is the best way? I've read a few ways but seeing what's the best?

i ether pinch the fuel line, or cover the carb air intake or sometimes friction on the fly wheel with something, even finger or something plugging the exhaust

Usually pinch the fuel line or block the incoming air. Another trick is to tune the engine with the throttle trim in the center. That way you can raise the trim to raise the idle during starting and warm-up, then return it to center for running. When you bring it in you can lower the trim to zero which will close the throttle, shutting down the engine. Just make sure it's at center for the next startup.

Usually pinch the fuel line or block the incoming air. Another trick is to tune the engine with the throttle trim in the center. That way you can raise the trim to raise the idle during starting and warm-up, then return it to center for running. When you bring it in you can lower the trim to zero which will close the throttle, shutting down the engine. Just make sure it's at center for the next startup.
I dd this, it's incredibly useful.

You can either block the exhaust, or block the air intake. Pinching the fuel line is probably the worst way, as it takes the longest and leans the engine out, leaving less oil inside the cylinder to avoid rust- not that you shouldn't use after run oil anyway.

Thanks guys... After oil don't want to sound stupid but when do you use it? Also where do you put it?

Thanks guys... After oil don't want to sound stupid but when do you use it? Also where do you put it?
After run oil is what it sounds like, you take out the glow plug and put 2-3 drops inside the cylinder, you then turn the engine over slowly and put the glow plug back in. You do this after you've ran the car, or when you're planning on storing it for a long time. It creates a protecting layer against moisture to stop it rusting the internals.

Wouldn't that cause it to stall when you brake?

To shut mine down, I run them until the tank is empty at low RPM or stop the flywheel with a screwdriver when making a repair. If something breaks and I don't have parts onsite to fix it, I empty the tank with the fuel bottle and blip the throttle at low RPM until it dies.

I use ARO if the rig is going to sit unused for more than a month. When storing an engine for winter, I take it out of the vehicle, put many drops of ARO down the carb and in the GP hole then turn it over a few times and store it in a baggy. That's if it's an engine I care about.

Interesting point, @olds97_lss . I found myself mentally running that procedure through my brain to double check it. You're right. It's not the car engines it's the airplane engines we did that with. Thanks for correcting me. Damn, that's the second time in over 32,000 posts that I've been wrong. I'm really ashamed of myself.

Interesting point, @olds97_lss . I found myself mentally running that procedure through my brain to double check it. You're right. It's not the car engines it's the airplane engines we did that with. Thanks for correcting me. Damn, that's the second time in over 32,000 posts that I've been wrong. I'm really ashamed of myself.

I think it can still be done through trim control via through transmitter,but you would be fighting
with the controller to find the trim knob.
When I flew plane ,that's how I had mine set,thank God I did ,it came in handy.
I got my plane too far out an didn't wether it was going or coming,so I was forced to shut it
down an let it just drop out of the sky.
II was surrounded by cotton field an it was one of those Aircore 40's ,so it didn't get hurt...LOL

The trim will set the point for the servo, but the brake will over-ride and take it to the mechanical stop of the idle screw, so it's not something that will work for cars.

Other than that, I added a mechanical flywheel brake to my Bling Thing. Press the red button and a pad hits the flywheel bringing it to a stop without leaning or flooding.

105a.jpg

Here, this showed up on a search...
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/best-way-to-kill-your-nitro.91850/

Even back then I was getting beaten up for not beating up my Savvy. :hehe:

Anyway, post #19 has a link, but I couldn't tell you if the part is still available.
The other option is go to Killer RC for an electronic kill switch that's first rate.
The pics in the above link have their old one. It's the blue unit on the fuel line just before the carb.

Last edited:
The trim will set the point for the servo, but the brake will over-ride and take it to the mechanical stop of the idle screw, so it's not something that will work for cars.

Other than that, I added a mechanical flywheel brake to my Bling Thing. Press the red button and a pad hits the flywheel bringing it to a stop without leaning or flooding.

View attachment 17133

Ah ,I see!
I was wondering who's nice shiny truck that was scroll across the bottom of the screen!...LOL
Nice truck!

I just added a little info in my post above. I got a chuckle out of the abuse, as usual.

That's a lot of detail!
I have shelf queen but nothing that extreme.
I like the way you did the filter,I was wanting to do the same on my Lil devil truck!

View attachment 17133

Anyway, post #19 has a link, but I couldn't tell you if the part is still available.
The other option is go to Killer RC for an electronic kill switch that's first rate.
The pics in the above link have their old one. It's the blue unit on the fuel line just before the carb.
Is that dirt I see on the plastic parts!? You're letting it slip....

View attachment 17133

Is that dirt I see on the plastic parts!? You're letting it slip....

To shut mine down, I run them until the tank is empty at low RPM or stop the flywheel with a screwdriver when making a repair. If something breaks and I don't have parts onsite to fix it, I empty the tank with the fuel bottle and blip the throttle at low RPM until it dies.

I use ARO if the rig is going to sit unused for more than a month. When storing an engine for winter, I take it out of the vehicle, put many drops of ARO down the carb and in the GP hole then turn it over a few times and store it in a baggy. That's if it's an engine I care about.
It does, yes, but you have to break fully for a long time to get it to stall. I do it on mine and it's incredibly useful, the pros outweigh the cons.

Back