Customize your wheels...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImBroken

Still Lurking...
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I took a set of Chrome HPI wheels, & simply applied some Bob Dively Liquid mask to the outer chrome ring. I recommend a generous 3 coats, or you will have trouble peeling it off later..

mask1.jpg

mask2.jpg

Yes... I made my wife mask em for me.... lol :)
mask3.jpg

When the Liquid mask has fully dried (dries clear) I chose to shoot them with
Alclad Transparent smoke. You can use any color you want. Because the rims were chrome, using any of the transparent colors, candy colors or Spazstix Hard annodized colors will give you a nice tinted chrome effect. When using these transparent colors, a light coat is all you need. Too much, and the effect will be lost. Some may also recommend a light clear coat to protect it from chipping. You can find a can at your local crafts store.
*Note* I very lightly ran a 3M pad over the area being painted to help with adhesion.

mask4.jpg

mask5.jpg

After the paint has dried, I carefully peeled away the liquid mask, to reveal a nice clean chrome ring.

mask9.jpg

mask8.jpg

Once there mounted up, they will definately give your wheels a nice custom look...

mask6.jpg

mask7.jpg

Enjoy...

Last edited:
Looks good TJ. Guess the paint bug is stuck to you, too! I'm thinking of trying the same with the Spaz Stix Hard Anodized paint. Those look great.

Thanks... Yeah the SpazStix Hard Anno Red or candy green would have been better for the pics... I was goin for the tougher look to accomodate my paint scheme on the Savage. Yep, the paint bug is a hard one to get rid of.. lol Once the airbrush, masks, tapes, paints & supplies come out, there hard to put away...

wow that looks good. So you really gonna drive this thing after all this work. I know I had a real hard time driving my truck that I spent a lot of time on. I will say that after a gallon it got treated just like my beater.. lol

Nice write up BTW.

SKIP said:
wow that looks good. So you really gonna drive this thing after all this work. I know I had a real hard time driving my truck that I spent a lot of time on. I will say that after a gallon it got treated just like my beater.. lol

Nice write up BTW.

This truck will definately be run, and run hard... My R/c's are only shelf queens during the winter months... lol

ImBroken said:
This truck will definately be run, and run hard... My R/c's are only shelf queens during the winter months... lol

First off that looks awesome... you will have to do that for me now LOL...

I can atest to the fact that I have never seen anyone put more money into an RC and beat the piss out of it without blinking an eye. This man is brutal LOL

No fear of destruction.

sLY

Hello Exactly!

I like it

Hell yeah, them turned out nice! They have a "Tuner" look to them. Very cool. Nice work..
Another thing..
I'm only 25, so I'm not married yet (Thank god..Got close once... whew!) But I think thats hella cool your wife has at least some interest in the hobby to help ya out. My old Gf thought Rc's were "stupid" and "Your dumb for sticking so much money into them" "There Toys"... Could explain why shes a "OLD" girlfriend..lol... But yeah thats way cool!

4u2nv said:
Hell yeah, them turned out nice! They have a "Tuner" look to them. Very cool. Nice work..
Another thing..
I'm only 25, so I'm not married yet (Thank god..Got close once... whew!) But I think thats hella cool your wife has at least some interest in the hobby to help ya out. My old Gf thought Rc's were "stupid" and "Your dumb for sticking so much money into them" "There Toys"... Could explain why shes a "OLD" girlfriend..lol... But yeah thats way cool!

Yeah, she's great when it comes to my hobbies.. She always asks me if she can help build my kits... lol

I'm gonna paint my velocity 6 40 series a nice black chrome for my savage

I think they look awesome...now only if I had some chrome rims....Wait! I have the stock savage SS rims that I never ever used....lol. (They're still NIP) :hammer:

my r/c wishes it was a shelf queen but thats what ya buy 'em for to beat them hard lol nice paint though thinkin bout tryin it cheerz

they look great..nice touch with the chrome band

I was toying with Lexan cut to fit inside the rims, with brake calipers and such painted or decaled on. will post pics soon as I get my camera back.

Just a question. Did the tires come with the white lettering or did you do that? I like that touch a lot, but I know I don't have the steady hand or the patience to paint that on!

well, after looking at this thread for the 100th time, guess I'll take out the new rims and give it a shot.........they do look sweet...........the WL's are a nice touch as well.........

Back