Custom (home built) header exhaust system????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coy5840

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok so I'll post this here as well. (no one really looks at the intro section LOL)

I want to make my own "custom" header and exhaust set up.
The main thing I want to do is make the exhaust muffler/pipe/header to creat maximum torque on start up with a good mid and decent top end.

Now.. here come some more info.
I'm building a totally custom rig w/ a tmaxx tranny, asp 12 nitro engine and axles are either TLT or custom max axles turned to solid type axles. it has an exaust system on it but I want something that will look like headers out of a real rig (kinda)..

From what I've found, it appears to look like is this. The longer the pipe(on the market) the more top end the shorter the more torque or low end.. ?correct???

Now if I used a 1/4"-1/2 tube for the exhaust and a combo of 3-4 3/16" tube for the headers. how long or what type of mathematics would I need to do to tune the pipe to my likings?

I'm completely new to the nitro thing so......... But I'm learning real quick.

I've been searching and haven't came up with anything yet. :(

any insite would be greatly appreciated.

The reward is something no one has done yet. =devil (at least I haven't seen it yet)

i guess ill be the first to respond to this.

you are correct by saying that the longer the header. the more top end you get. the shorter is, the better bottom end you get.

i dont know if anyone on here has tried a custom header like you discribe. all i know is they design them a certain way for a reason.
same for the tuned pipes.

id say your best bet is to rip one apart and see how its designed, and start from there.

I'm not the kind of person to discourage anyone from doing what they want, all i can say is best of luck to ya!

I've taken the two that I have appart and they are basicly empty tubes with 2 outputs (1 for a return to the gas tank, 1 for out to air).
I'm thinking that the larger size pipe gives the added pressure needed for the return to tank line?
Other than that I'm not sure what type of math would be required to find the space needed for adiquate return exhaust flow and adiquate "escape" exhaust flow.

I'm pretty sure that the header part will be the easy part, meaning give it good air flow to the "pipe" or Muffler part.

for the pipe or muffler if you will (in this case) I'm thinking I could get away with something like this

.................||
_________/----\_________
_________........_______...\
..............\____/...........\

Crud illustration but the top part would have the exhaust return to tank thing.

Last edited:
you are correct by saying that the longer the header. the more top end you get. the shorter is, the better bottom end you get.

Actually, you have that backwards. Shorter headers will give a high-rpm peak and a longer header will enhance low-end power.

I don't know but this is my logic. Wouldn't it take more RPM's to make adequite pressure in a longer pipe? And lower RPM's to create adequite pressure in a smaller environment such as a shorter pipe? I really have no idea but it seems what mattyfats has said makes sense to me.

i actually read it on some site. ill try to see if i can find it again to post it here. the guy sure sounded like he know what he was talking about.

but if I'm wrong, that means hes wrong and he should know about it.

ill try to dig up that site i found