cooling system? tell me what ya think

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spanko123

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
what do you guys think about maybe installing a cpu fan in my car to make run cooler, i run my engine just about as rich as it gets and its still over heats with lless than a tank of gas. i really should use a temp gunn but i just spit and it boils away instantly id say the its too hot, and theres is plenty of smoke coming out of the pipe. and its getting enough air cuz happens when i take body off and run too

so i decided to install a lil cpu fan. powered buy 9-volts it give sum pretty good wind. its mounted to my body and when i place body on its in front of the cooling head, where the air would normally be rushing buyy, figured go with the wind lol. so think it will increase sum airflow get that dam heat outta there? i dont no it worth a try just tell me what ya think. i mean it can't do any damage.....can it? buy the way i run a .15 ae engine (rc10 gt)
thanks

ill get pics soon

Last edited:
Hey if it works it works. Get a temp gun and tell us how it does.

I'd be careful that the fan doesn't actually restrict airflow to the motor when the vehicle is in motion.

The fan blades could actually deflect the cool outside air if they are too fat, don't spin fast enough, etc. If you can get a high speed CPU fan, like a 7,000 RPM one, it would probably be less of an issue, but they run on 12v and probably suck up the juice pretty quick.

If this does become a problem, mounting the fan on the side of the motor might do the trick.

The fan is a good idea though, and will surely help cool down the motor when you're not moving.

ok thanks dudes, and i was thinkni when idling it would deffinitley help, and ill see what goes on with the whole restrictinmg thing and i dont no how side mount would work seems like it go against the flow but me perfect for idle coolin, ok thanks guys man you're sure now alot on this sight later

Did you ever hook up the fan?

Your other alternative is the mesh screen windshield. Cut the windshield out entirely and anchor a good piece of screen mesh in its place.

Sounds like an idea but it proubly wont work as good as you think it will.

I have seen this come up on probably 8 different rc forums. The universal consensus is that it is not worth the effort. It adds weight, compexity, etc, but the real reason is that a properly tuned engine doesn't need it.

Get a temp gauge first, like the Duratrax for $24.00. If your engine is healthy, with no clogs in the line or needle valve, you will be able to get the temp down. Look at a 1/8 buggy. Only the top fin is out of the body, but I have no trouble running hard at 200 F. But running real hot is also a sign of a worn piston/sleeve. Take the plug out and rotate the flywheel with your finger. If you don't feel some resistance at the top of the stroke, your sleeve is toast.

Quite right, if the motor was running right, and rich, and STILL overheated, it's probably broken in some way, or you're using the wrong fuel.

If an engine wasn't broken in properly, this is one of the things that can happen, as far as I've heard.

Just go with the windsheild dont try it.

ok project went pretty good and ya i dont no why it gets so hot, i mean i should realy be using a temp gun but no money for that stuff so if its not smoking then its good thats my system, and when i get sum money ill get new pistion and sleeve so i wired it all up and it deffintley help cuz at idle i mean it just kept on cooling and i dont no if it messed with when it was moving but deffifntley cooler to the touch but then it was my only bodie so i went driving in a lil mud and sumthin short ciucuted but the result i tested it worked now i got get new piston and sleeve and new head sumtime!!

oh yea whats up with that winshield?? i mean i cut mine out but what else do you mean sum screen never heard of it hey look a pennie! :2cents:

I had tried putting a fan in my t-maxx a year or so ago. It worked fairly well however I was never satisfied with balance from an additional battery pack so I finally gave the idea up. At a complete stop it could cool then engine up to 20 degrees.

What about like mounting a fan some where close to the engine and some how having it run off the flywheel or the clutch bell by like a rubber band.

Originally posted by spanko123
ok project went pretty good and ya i dont no why it gets so hot, i mean i should realy be using a temp gun but no money for that stuff so if its not smoking then its good thats my system, and when i get sum money ill get new pistion and sleeve so i wired it all up and it deffintley help cuz at idle i mean it just kept on cooling and i dont no if it messed with when it was moving but deffifntley cooler to the touch but then it was my only bodie so i went driving in a lil mud and sumthin short ciucuted but the result i tested it worked now i got get new piston and sleeve and new head sumtime!!

This paragraph is amazing. It deserves an award. There is a contest every year, called the Bulwer-Lytton, for the most amazingly bad writing, and this beauty is a contender.

http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

You don't surf the internet much do you?

That's *nothing* =)

Originally posted by KoRnKiD
What about like mounting a fan some where close to the engine and some how having it run off the flywheel or the clutch bell by like a rubber band.
With the new super chargers running off the flywheel this is now a definate reality. I might his the drawing board and see what I can come up with.

hey kornkid, that sounds like a pretty good idea. but wouldnt that rob some power?? i just thought about it for a few seconds and it sounds like it would take away some of the power. just athought though.
savager

if it did take some power away. it would be sooooo little you wouldent notice any differnce

Back