Computer Guys I need Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ-FOREVER

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay I have a wireless router. I went to go in it to open up a port for a game I have and I believe I was hacked. My password(s) dont work. Then I find out that someone added an email thru Cox on our account. Is there a way to get control of my router back or do I need to get another? Router is a linksys model unknown @ this time. ( I am @ work) Will find out later.

Thank you for your help.

Well pretty much its hard to hack a router because it only works though one specific port , on the other hand since u did open up a new port it is possiably easier (not likely) that someone got into ur pc. Things to get ur router back is possiably reseting it using the little button in the back , this will reset all ur settings and close all the ports that u opened. Another thing to do is install some firewall utility on the router itelf theres a little tab i belive in the routers properties were u can set one up. Third if u have windows Xp and ur realllly paranoid you should right click my network places then go to properties then find ur local area connection , right click that also look at the properties on that then click the advanced tab there should be somthing that says "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the internet." check that then you should be good to go.

Also id reccommend getting ur latest firmwire update from the linksys website.

btw what game are u trying to get goin?

Medal of honor Spearhead. I was trying to open up a port so I can run my own server for it. Again thanks for the help.

1 more thing make sure that under user accounts that the guest account is turned OFF also right click my computer go to properties and there should be a remote tab make sure every thing in here is UNchecked. So its not possiable for people to remote connect into ur pic. Make sure u got the latest windows update installed. Hope this helps..

If your on wireless and you have not enabled WEP, you got opened the door and invited them inside. Enable wep on the router and save the password on the workstation, no one hacked you through MOH.

Qesution #2 If I reset the router will it reset the password for it?

yup it will, btw what router?

If you have a wireles router somone pulled up beside your house, or lives beside you and uses your internet I would say...

Not enabling WEP on a wireless router is like saying
"free internet within 300 yards of my house"
No offense meant, but in their stock form, with default settings, anyone within range can have access to your network, and internet.

It is a linksys 4 port wireless Model # unknown right now.

If it will reset the password than what would be the new password? Blank?

Yes hitting the rest button on the router will set the router to factory defaults, including passwords and personal settings.

-Michael

Thanks guys. I am going to reset the router and make sure that the wep is on. Any other setting do I need to set? Never played with routers before. (1st time)

Linksys if I remember right is no username and the password is admin.

Originally posted by CJ-FOREVER
Medal of honor Spearhead. I was trying to open up a port so I can run my own server for it. Again thanks for the help.

If you need some help, hit me up on PM. I used to run 2 servers at my old job. SH bites, has bugs. The original MoHAA was the best. There's more than 1 port you have to open (more like 6).

When you said wireless router, did you enable encryption and MAC filtering? You might have gotten hacked by a neighbor or got chalked. Try doing a hard reset on the router. It should return all the settings and passwords to factory. You really should turn off remote admin and remote upgrades.

Back