Competitive car or not ?? OLD car but new

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyD

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Sup Fellas and old schoolers cause u gotta be older to even know the car LOL

I recently got back into rc and picked myself up a SaVaGe .25 nitro (luv the truck) and i also picked up a brand new KYOSHO Optima mid custom special (4WD) with a Magnum Jr radio Tekin Elect. spd control with Futabo Mini Reciever and Servo off my friend that was used once (i was there 14 years ago when the car was run ! LOL) yes it is an old but BRAND NEW CAR

Car Features are all graphite upper and lower chassis + shock towers and has full bearings, stretched version of the optima mid, Gold Shocks, adj tie rods throughout the car, this really is there best mid ever made :) its really light car and handles great, also i have a spare mid for parts thats almost rdy to go also.

My question is :

is this car able to be competive with a kickass motor and battery and win some races ??? or has the technology changed that much??

next question :

whats the lowest Turn motor i can use without killing my drivetrain? and has the gear ratios changed that much that even with a good motor i would just lose races or be behind the pack due to the (if so) different gear ratios cars may be running today ?? OR

Should i save the electronics, sell this car on e-bay and buy a new one?

Any FEEDBACK appreciated, sry for the long post but this has been bugging me for awhile (big delema for me)

:banana: :banana: :banana: :breakdown :banana: :banana: :banana:

Last edited:
I had the Magnum jr for my old RC10 as well. But the ESC wouldn't handle a faster turn motor. So I had to buy a new ESC and radio. Dunno if u have the same ESC, so find out what is the lowest turn motor it can handle and go from there. If the buggy is that new it should handle it self ine with a gear change.

I have one of those orignal RC10's gold tubs, with a tekin and tried to run a 10 turn on it and blew out the fuse. It might be better to keep it as is, and have it for show. I had to change the spur gear out since the pitches are different and to adjust it to match the motor. I also have two magnum juniors, one a 27 and the other a 75. If you have a 27 you can still use it, you can only use the 75 if it was narrow banded, if not you'll have all kinds of glitches, and is actually illegal to use. (Also have a 7 channel plane radio, which is now useless, got back in to this too late to have everything narrow banded). The old Futaba's had G connectors(small tiny pins), you can change them out for the newer J connectors which all the new ESC need. And P.S. welcome back to the hobby, it's going to be a costly but fun one~!!

Thx for the feedback fellas

RandyT are u willing to part with that old futaba jr. radio? (pistol grip only) cause i have a 75 mhz mini reciever but am using my tamtech controller for now cause my pistol grip broke !!

and thx again guys

Originally posted by SunnyD
My question is :

is this car able to be competive with a kickass motor and battery and win some races ??? or has the technology changed that much??

next question :

whats the lowest Turn motor i can use without killing my drivetrain? and has the gear ratios changed that much that even with a good motor i would just lose races or be behind the pack due to the (if so) different gear ratios cars may be running today ?? OR

:LoL: I used to have a regular Optima and a Javelin, same as the Optima but with a roll cage instead of lexan body. You have the "newer" version. :LoL: If you're really going to race it, The newer (like 5 years worth of) Losi 4wd cars will kill it, along with Yokomo cars also.

If it's in really good shape I'd Ebay it. I have had good luck selling old Kyosho and Tamiya kits on there in the past.

To answer your question on the Tekin we'd have to know which one it actually is. Check the case decal and post the number.

Your really better off picking up a new controller. The new ones are like I said are narrow banded (mine isn't narrow banded), and the prices aren't really that bad for a decent FM radio, and AM ones are even cheaper ($40.00 USD) if your planning just to run it every once in awhile. You'll have to change or splice the connectors but if you have a good soldering iron it should be no problem.

ESC is a Tekin Pro Tempfet, the model is either ESC 300 PRO T OR its a ESC 600 PRO XT (my bud said it was a top of the line TEKIN and that he paid large for it) so I'm guessing its the pro 600 xt. hope that helps.

The old 600 can prolly handle todays 12-14 turn motors without a problem. The 300 wasn't all that great, I wouldn't use anything under 19 turns with it.

These should still use the 20-30 amp inline blade fuse, right?

good queston ! i dont have a clue LOL

On the Tekins there was a car fuse that is taped to the ESC, well that's how mine is.

got any pics randy? dunno where the fuse goes, Doh!!

thx :)

Old Tekins used a blade automotive fuse in the power lead. Out of the ESC, to one side of the fuse, out the other and on to the battery.

The newer ones before the soldier pops used a fuse that plugged into the case.

Back