Cleaning Nitro Trucks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitromom

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Can you use denatured alcohol to clean my trucks?

I'd test it on some of the plastics and rubber to make sure it safe, but metal parts should be fine...

I've used denatured alcohol to clean my trucks in the past and never had a problem with it. CowRC has some good cleaning products as well.

That's what nitro spray is anyway. I've found that if you use air to get the majority of the dirt off and then use a cleaner, the cars are more clean.

methanol works to. here we have race shop that sells methanol by the gal. can't remember cost but it not bad.

I usually use air to blow mine off after every bash then when I get suff sticking I just take some 409.and put a very light coat on the truck then take a paint brush to it. spray some pure water blow dry with air then wd-40 all my bearings I can get to with the straw

I actually clean most of the truck with wd-40. Spray it on, scrub a lil bit with a toothbrush and spray it off with the compressor. Comes clean and shines up the plastic also. And it doesn't make the dirt stick afterwards either.

I use a Simple Green and water solution and then blow off the residue after scrubbing with a toothbrush.

Denatured alcohol, nitro spray, methanol ???

I and most the guys down the club simply use dish washing detergent mixed with water in a spray bottle!

Spray it on, wash it off - compressed air to dry (if you have access) then a light coating of WD.

I do this as part of my after run routine (clean it after each outing) and the car comes up like new.

Even thou denatured alcohol might be a good cleaning product I would not use it over time I'd be worried it would fade the painted area's of the truck " I know it sounds petty "... I use an awesome product from Odonald's " there Cleaner is bio-friendly & wont harm surfaces can be used Dry or Wet.. I always take it with me out bashing & a quick spray & wipe & your good to go... Once home I do a complete cleaning & even have a old tooth brush I use comes in handy for small hard to reach area's....

on a safety note: the nitro fuel you run in the engine is mostly methanol. cause of that if it gets on fire you can use water to put it out. so carry some in a bottle , be sure to mark it so you dont put it in the fuel tank.

I use a citrus based degreaser spray and the kitchen sink. Then hit the bearings with WD-40.

on a safety note: the nitro fuel you run in the engine is mostly methanol. cause of that if it gets on fire you can use water to put it out. so carry some in a bottle , be sure to mark it so you dont put it in the fuel tank.

Wow . . . . :\

Or an even better idea . . . . kids, rather than using comparatively expensive and dangerous methanol to clean your vehicle (dangerous because it burns clear – you will see your clothes melt and not see the flames burning you! :whhooo:) . . . instead of carrying around a bottle of water to reduce the risk of being melted and horribly scarred by an invisiable fire, add some regular, everyday, common household, non-combustible dishwashing detergent to the bottle of water, and spray that on your vehicle to clean it.

Last edited:
Wow . . . . :\

Or an even better idea . . . . kids, rather than using comparatively expensive and dangerous methanol to clean your vehicle (dangerous because it burns clear – you will see your clothes melt and not see the flames burning you! :whhooo:) . . . instead of carrying around a bottle of water to reduce the risk of being melted and horribly scarred by an invisiable fire, add some regular, everyday, common household, non-combustible dishwashing detergent to the bottle of water, and spray that on your vehicle to clean it.

When I was a Volunteer fire fighter, that's what we did in our tanker. The dish soap acts as a wetting agent to help break down the water's surface tension. It does work so do it. :first_place:

When I was a Volunteer fire fighter, that's what we did in our tanker. The dish soap acts as a wetting agent to help break down the water's surface tension. It does work so do it. :first_place:

LOL

I wasn't suggesting that dish soap and water would be better to put out the fire . . . I was suggesting that you would not need to worry about putting out the fire if you used dish soap and water to clean the car instead of methanol . . . .

. . . prevention is better than cure ;)