CL to RC conv.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbaker65

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
Been trying to work on this plane ,installed a 20 size engine today ,but I don't have the original muffler ,
so I had an old car tune pipe that I had fitted on ,I still have to plug off the big hole on the end ,but should
work for a test fire to see how much thrust the engine has ,hope its a big enough engine for a hand launch!
The engine really balanced the CG out nice ,but have to still add the other.

upload_2017-1-15_17-18-59.png

Wow! Looks great so far! I'm not into aircraft so I can't help with info. Hope to see it flying soon tho!

Wow! Looks great so far! I'm not into aircraft so I can't help with info. Hope to see it flying soon tho!

The size 20 did not give it enough thrust ,I'm getting ready to put the size 30 on there now!

Thnx Mike!

I use to fly 20 years ago ,so this is not really new to me ,,LOL Well sorta!...:hehe:
These were control lines .I'm trying to adapt one into rc ,so its going to be trial an error.
I will try to atleast post a vid of a running engine!...:D

That's an awesome project you're working on! I tried CL flying 40 some years ago when I was just a kid. Didn't work out too well. Never got off the ground! LOL So I just have my old Cox Sopwith Camel hanging from the ceiling in the man cave. Would love to see your plane running.

As far as your CG goes, remember you still have to add servos, battery pack, Rx and a fuel tank. The rudder was fixed and all you had with the control line was the elevator.

That's an awesome project you're working on! I tried CL flying 40 some years ago when I was just a kid. Didn't work out too well. Never got off the ground! LOL So I just have my old Cox Sopwith Camel hanging from the ceiling in the man cave. Would love to see your plane running.

Lol....My first plane was a kit ,it crashed on the ground run ,all of that hard work was gone in a matter of seconds!
But I didn't give up ,I so much still wanted to fly an airplane ,so I bought a foamy plane ,an transfered all of stuff over
to it.
I tried the ground run again ,but I was so nervous an after several attempts ,I finally got mad an picked it up an tried
just hand launch it ,so I revved the motor up an gave it a nice over head throw ,an it just took flight ,well it fumbled
around a little until I got a hang of the controls ,boy was I nervous ,but I finally got to fly.

Then after that ,I figured out it can be hand launched ,an started throwing it when I went to fly ,it got easier every time!
It was a 36'' cesna with the Os 15 engine.

As far as your CG goes, remember you still have to add servos, battery pack, Rx and a fuel tank. The rudder was fixed and all you had with the control line was the elevator.

Yea ,I know about all that!...
This plane here has fully functional rudder all ready ,but no control rod ,it has a fixed adjustable rod with a clevis
to adjust the rudder ,who ever built this one knew what they where doing!

Lol...I honestly thought that control line didn't exist no more ,they still build them an have competitions with them!
Its crazy how they can do the maneuvers an racing them with 3 people together!.....Watch a vid....Its funny as all get out!....:hehe::hehe:

LOL....Check this one out ,its the racing one!......:hehe:

Last edited:
Combat ....wicked!

Lol......free flight ,watch out for flying objects!...:hehe:

Last edited:
I decided to change the way the engine is mounted ,don't care much for the side way mount ,
its hard to get the glo starter to stay on when tuning an I don't want to fumble with it while a prop is spinning!
So I fabbed up some engine mounts!...I started this morning an haven't got out of my PJ's yet!....:hehe::hehe:

HPIM1624.jpg

HPIM1617.jpg

HPIM1619.jpg

HPIM1621.jpg

HPIM1623.jpg

Got every thing buttoned down,May drill some lightning holes in the mounts ,but really have to watch the CG.
The added mounts did add some weight ,but not too bad!
I'm going to try an start on the fuel tank ,I'm making one out of a little bottle that will fit nicely.
I want to counter sink it into the fuselage ,I don't like bulky things hangin of the side ,I think it would
help balance the weight from side to side!

HPIM1625.jpg

HPIM1626.jpg

HPIM1628.jpg

Nicely done with the engine mount. These airplane engines are easy to tune since they basically run at the same RPM under the same load. Not like ground runners that are constantly changing from the bottom end torque to WOT.

Very cool! Those other videos were crazy! I don't know how they kept running in circles like that! I would have fallen down with spins for sure! They have all the potential for a GREAT 3 stogies film!!! :hehe:

Another test hit ,but manage to get a muff. on ,its much better an tune is more consistant with muffler pressure
to the tank!
Also did a in hand simulated flight maneuver with out no issues of engine studder ,engine was consistant
with out RPM drops!....
Holding the plane upright or nose up ,the plane wanted to take off out of my hand!.....:D
I can't wait to get the radio gear!...:doh:

Nice! I can looking forward to seeing this come together! Cool project for the warmer weather coming!!!

I'm not quite sure what you're doing here since you seem to be setting the throttle by hand and letting it run. You need to connect a throttle servo, adjust it properly and then start the engine, let it warm up and then tune the needle with the engine at full throttle until you reach full RPM without sputtering. You're blowing smoke which you need to do, but without knowing where your throttle is I have no idea if you're too rich or too lean. You have lots of RPM left to go and you're just not there, yet.

I'm not quite sure what you're doing here since you seem to be setting the throttle by hand and letting it run. You need to connect a throttle servo, adjust it properly and then start the engine, let it warm up and then tune the needle with the engine at full throttle until you reach full RPM without sputtering. You're blowing smoke which you need to do, but without knowing where your throttle is I have no idea if you're too rich or too lean. You have lots of RPM left to go and you're just not there, yet.

I'm just test running it ,not really for tune .I don't want to install a servo yet ,all I have is standard size servo's ,an
I plan on using a micro servo for throttle an don't want to cut out for standard size!
I know theres plenty more RPM's to be had ,the engine sat for 30 years ,so I need pull the carb an
go through it ,I was merely test running the engine to see if it was worthy of messing with it ,an to see if it
would stay running through full tanks with out stalling out!...:cool:
I'm going to try to get the radio gear soon ,probably next month ,its my B-day next month ,an I'm hoping that
my wife would get that for my B-day present!...:D

I still want to do a lot of mods to the plane ,I want to fab up some stuff out of Styrofoam ,an make it look more
like a plane an use it like a skin to help hide tank & servo's.
I thoroughly cleaned the plane a litte while ago ,so I'm not going to be running it any more until I get everything
done to it!....:cool:

I found the perfect fuel tank ,a 7.5 oz hand soap bottle ,its shape is contoured perfect with the plane lines!...:D

HPIM1634.jpg

HPIM1635.jpg

HPIM1636.jpg

Some more pics with the tank mod.sitting in its place ,now I got to find some foam to form it in!...:D

HPIM1637.jpg

HPIM1638.jpg

HPIM1640.jpg

HPIM1641.jpg

HPIM1642.jpg

HPIM1643.jpg

HPIM1644.jpg

Back